1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gretsch Rancher Acoustics

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by mistermullens, Aug 26, 2012.

1. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

I'm keeping my eye out for a 2nd acoustic since I'm playing more of it in my new band, and could use a back up. Anyway, I stumbled upon a Gretsch Rancher Orchestra model yesterday, and I thought it was really cool. It was also a great price at $280. Sounded pretty good and it was comfortable. Their website called it medium sized, which is pretty accurate, and is a little larger than most OM models. I love the look too. Something about that sound hole and the pickguard shape is so good lookin'! Anyway, anyone had any experience with any of the models? I would need to put some electronics in one if I pulled the trigger. Thanks!

2. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

I am guessing the Gretsch is no different than any number of off shore-built budget guitars available today other than it is cooler looking.

Can't speak for the new ones but despite the fact that Jack White has made them fashionable the old ones are among the worst sounding guitars I have ever played.

3. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I believe the Rancher got a very positive review in GP a few months back. They do look very cool.

4. momotrucker

momotrucker Tele-Meister

i just got the big orange one, new model...bought it for a second, no fuss stage guitar if i break a string...it has fishman electronics and a tuner for $500...i came set up perfectly, for me anyways, nice low action...it sounds like a maple jumbo (j-200) but for $2,500 less...most j-200's i've played (new ones) were dogs...i could have done without the cutaway but i would highly reccomend this guitar...

5. Ragnad

Ragnad TDPRI Member

i bought the big orange one over the weekend and i really enjoy playing it. sounds and plays great. can't wait to plug it in and use it in a band situation. i also saw this as a good substitute for a J-200. pete townshend played J-200s and i loved the sound but not the price.

6. Bugsville

Bugsville Tele-Meister

I have an orange jumbo and recently put brass bridge pins in it. Best thing I ever did for that guitar. To my ears.

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Where are you guys finding these orange Ranchers? I was looking for one just as they were discontinued. They seem like they'd be a great stage guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.