Gretsch question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Jun 24, 2019.

1. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Any opinions on TV Jones Classics in a 5120? I've been acquiring the bits to do the swap.

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah they can move on any archtop which isn't nailed down, not just Gretsch. I use thin double sided cellophane tape. Rosin works also usually.

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

TV Jones are great. I found the classics to be no different sounding than the stock Gretsch though to my ears. If you want to change the sound much, I would look at some of the TV other options, like hotter or....

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I just put a set of TV Jones Classic (neck) and Classic Plus (bridge) in my G5622T: I liked the feel of the guitar, but not the sound of it (mine came with the newer Super HiLo Trons, very low output and lacking the sparkle I thought a Gretsch should have).

I'm much happier with the guitar now as it has more bite on the bridge and the neck is warm, but clear.

TV Jones fitted 3.jpg

Slightly over-exposed iPhone picture (the guard isn't white as this picture seems to show):

TV Jones fitted 2.jpg

You can order TV Jones with a 'universal mount' and also an extra part to give the two screw connection (as shown at the top of my pickups). This makes it easier to retro-fit to an Electromatic model. The original pick ups have a connector on them, but I cut this off and did a proper soldered/heatshrink covered joint for better reliability.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Mike Eskimo and BorderRadio like this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They are the deal, and before the G5420 came out this was a very common mod. Lots of old threads on Gretsch-Talk on how to mount them. TV Jones makes it easy to install in G5120s now. If you get Gretsch HS Filtertrons, you'll still need to DIY. The slight price increase for Classics is worth the ease of mounting the pickups in a G5120.

I prefer Classics and Ful-fidelity trons to HS Filters, but they are very close in sound. Extra high end on the Classics/Ful-fidelty, and the wider pole spacing on the Classic bridge pickup too.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Don't you mean the modern Super HiLotron? I forget but I thought we had some discussions on this. The recent Super HTs are humbucking. Real HiLo'trons or TV-HTs are true single coil, low output and extremely jangly with a Filtertron-like mid-scoop. I love em, and I put TV-HTs on my green 5420T. Totally difference pickups, made confusing by Gretsch.

4CB594A0-C08A-49CA-8DD0-888B00A9A8F2.jpeg

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it seems to have already moved beyond the original question, so my apologies to the OP. I have a Gretsch G5220, which was very inexpensive but I am really impressed with it. This guitar has Broad'tron pickups. I like the bridge pickup a lot, but the neck pickup is too muddy. Is anyone familiar with these pickups, and can tell me how they compare to some other possible options I could look at? Thanks!

IMG_6063.JPG

Attached Files:

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Yes Border Radio you are correct. It had the Super HiLo Trons...as you say it's made more confusing by Gretsch. The single row of screws version, but the humbucker width as shown in your picture. Either way, they sounded too dull for my taste, despite playing with heights, pole pieces.

I also fitted a set of Gretsch HS Filtertrons, but these had to be modified to fit the Electromatic and still didn't give me the sound I was after: I should have sprung for TV Jones from the outset...

BorderRadio likes this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My soon to arrive Corvette has MEGAtrons which - people seem to like...:oops:

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a '97 6120-60 that I got used. The previous owner ran little screws through the bridge so it doen't move. It's in the right place, so I can't complain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.