Gretsch Jim Dandy

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by FenderGyrl, Jan 18, 2017.

1. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

1hzr1r.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    StrangerNY, 24 track and fatcat like this.
  2. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Afflicted

Incoming prayers you get well soon. Sounds like a new nut and truss rod adjustment may help.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  3. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I wonder if it is the same as the cowboy guitars they put out a few years ago, except for cosmetics. I liked those, but there were reports of the bridges pulling off. It would have been good if they had used a pin bridge.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

5. FenderGyrl

So after letting the Jim Dandy sit for a couple of days, I decided to take the strings off of it and give it a once over. Decided to give it an overhaul. Took it to the Music Store and started working on it. Here we go:

1) Leveled the frets. (From 1 to 13) Then did from 13 to the sound hole. The guitar has a slight hump beyond the 13th fret. Beveled the frets and then Lemon Oiled the Fret Board. It really soaked up the oil.
    2) Took a Hair Dryer to the PickGuard and removed it. It looks like a real guitar now. I didn't like the Cream Color with the G on it. It reminded me of the old Tiescos.
    3) I needed to lower the Bridge Saddle, but before we could do this, the front part of the Wooden Bridge had to be planned down almost a quarter of an inch. The saddle was almost 5/8's...so we had a lot to work with. After planning down the front of the bridge we had to bevel the back so that the strings could break down towards the holes where the strings run thru back of the bridge. We sanded 5/32's off of the Bone Saddle.
    4) The tuning keys started slipping really bad. I couldn't tune the guitar. So we had to replace them. Re-Drilled the key holes and put some Gold Ibanez tuners on it. They look great against the Black Finish... and they work so much better than the three on a plate keys.
    5) We deepened the Bone Nut slots so that the strings sit lower towards the first fret.
    6) Rubbed Lemon Oil over the Matte Finish. It looks better and feels better and doesn't show fingerprints as easily now.

Put some light gauge Martin Marquis back on it. Now it plays GREAT. I have the action set to 1/8th distance from the bottom of the low E to the 12th fret, and 3/32nds from the bottom of the High E to the 12th fret.;) I will post some pics tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  6. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

viccortes285 likes this.
  7. Radioking

Radioking Tele-Meister

I really want a small guitar for the couch. I'm oh so close to getting a new Guild M-20 for a little over $1000. I see you can get one of these from Adorama for $130 with the coupon 1PRESDAY17. That's pretty hard to pass up.

8. FenderGyrl

IBANEZ PN1
    I got one of these also...much better than the Jim Dandy IMO. $149

Attached Files:

9. optofonik

optofonik Tele-Meister

Call me, "The Resurrectionist!"

When I was looking for a campfire/roadtrip guitar I played a few of these Jim Dandy's. I ended up with a sweet sounding Fender CC-60S on sale for $109.00 in the kinda black that the "Man In Black" would'a been proud of.

The Jim Dandy has haunted me, though. There was something about it that kept drawing me back to it but ultimately I went for the CC-60S because it was a great combination/compromise of size, price, and "real guitar" tone. In the store the JD sounded boxy, almost uke-like. It just wasn't a sound I could appreciate until I watched some online demos; two in particular.

Those two Jim Dandy videos, Eric Bibb playing solo and the "Guitarist" demo where it sits in a mix, demonstrate just what a great guitar the JD is in context. I'll never be as good as Eric Bibb or the cat playing for the "Guitarist" demo", but from a recording standpoint the JD offers a unique tonality. Based on the "Guitarist" demo, especially, it sits in a mix really well.

I'm a cheapskate, though, and from what I can tell the JD doesn't seem to go on sale these days nor does it wind up on the used market for much of a discount; it seems to be holding it's value very well.

10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've always said that Dandy was the Roth prototype.

- D

optofonik likes this.
  11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

One of the guys at the community radio station where I volunteer has one of those Jim Dandy's I think he tunes it down a bit. It's a great guitar to just grab and mess around with.

optofonik likes this.
  12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

There's another thread on the Jim Dandy's, over in the club section, http://www.tdpri.com/threads/gretsch-g-9500-jim-dandy-owners-juke-joint.630854/. Coincidentally, that one was started 3 years ago today. :) I don't think I saw this thread in its initial run, but thanks to the "Resurrectionist"...:twisted:

I've been a member of the Gretsch Jim Dandy club since May 25, 2017. I bought it on a Thursday, in anticipation of the Memorial Day weekend. Our daughter and her family came down for a visit, and we were planning to go to the beach, so I wanted a beach/bonfire acoustic for not much money. The Gretsch JD appealed to me because it looks so much like my Dad's 1961 Stella by Harmony H929, the first guitar I ever plunked around on...
    Stella H929 by Harmony, 1969 -1.jpg

So that Thursday afternoon I went to Clawson's Music, a local Pop, son and grandson (Bob, Bubba & Bobby) store. I didn't go in specifically committed to buying a Jim Dandy, but I knew they were a Fender dealer, so I knew there was a good chance they'd have a Gretsch JD in stock. Sure enough, they did. I played that one first. I also played a couple of other parlors, but came back to the Jim Dandy. When they told me that if I got it that day, they'd go $150 and throw in a strap, I pulled the trigger.

And I've used it as my beach/bonfire guitar. I also gravitate towards it when I'm sitting on the back deck, playing to the birds in the trees and our Beagle in the back yard. I tend to play ragtime and blues on the thing.
    05-25-2017 - My Gretsch Jim Dandy G9500 - 1.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.