Gretsch Jet bass: replacement pickups?

Docforthemarines

TDPRI Member
Here we go again.

No. These have NEVER come with a TV Jones pickup. They've always had a Gretsch pickup. It's an import pickup that was designed for Gretsch by TV Jones. Big difference.

I LIKE THIS GUY! I have been trying to get this point across for years on the other forum. The other part I don't understand, is this bass playability that good to warrant a modification that in some cases cost more than the whole instrument is worth? Not mine. If it ever came to a point of replacing a $25 pup with a authentic TV Jones my grandkids would have a new air guitar in their toybox. I love my little G2202 don't get me wrong. But major modifications? Never happen. This bass was originally advertised for $240 with a $45 rebate if registered. That would be like puting quarter pounds in a floor model Davidson.
Thank you Dave for being another voice of reason.
Bob

Dave W

Poster Extraordinaire
I LIKE THIS GUY! I have been trying to get this point across for years on the other forum. The other part I don't understand, is this bass playability that good to warrant a modification that in some cases cost more than the whole instrument is worth? Not mine. If it ever came to a point of replacing a $25 pup with a authentic TV Jones my grandkids would have a new air guitar in their toybox. I love my little G2202 don't get me wrong. But major modifications? Never happen. This bass was originally advertised for $240 with a $45 rebate if registered. That would be like puting quarter pounds in a floor model Davidson.
Thank you Dave for being another voice of reason.
Bob

I made that post over 5 years ago but things never change at that other forum.

Re mods that cost more than the bass is worth, what gets me even more than people who do it is that so many of them wind up trying to sell the bass (or guitar) anyway because they're still not satisfied after the mods. Then they try to recoup the cost of the mods as "upgrades" when they're actually devaluing the instrument.

Red Bread

Tele-Meister
Just picked up a Jet bass cheap to match my Electromatic Jet
And I was looking into a Jess Loureiro,Cabronita

Attachments

• 9C30A796-F4FE-407B-BA61-2684B69E6796.jpeg
    9C30A796-F4FE-407B-BA61-2684B69E6796.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 101

Al Nico

Tele-Meister
Interesting this thread got revived - I recently bought a few NOS pickups from the original G2202 for a few bass projects because they sound so nice. I took one apart and I realized they sound great because they are in fact single coils, basically a narrow P-90 coil with a thick blade pole piece. So TV Jones-designed or not, they are certainly different from the Gretsch minibuckers.
XACaWx.jpg

MR1ztN.jpg

Last edited:

Dwings

TDPRI Member
HELP. I just purchased a Gretsch gr2220 a week ago. I normally play bass with a pick. When I pick down on the E string is about twice the volume as picking up on the E string. When I pick down on the G string it is half the volume of picking up on the G string. The A and D strings are consistent both ways. Is this normal for these pickups?