1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gretsch Guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by terekyasuta, Mar 6, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I realized the same thing when I kept searching for THE ES-335. It just didn't feel right. The same with the bigger body Gretsch models. Your eyes and your "want' say yes but... you come to your senses.

I think everyone idealizes various guitars. I know I wanted one of each in my collection: Fender, Gibson, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, etc. I realized that it's a fools errand. Buy and stick with what you like. The rest of your "collection" will collect dust.

terekyasuta and nojazzhere like this.
  2. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

I had wanted a gretsch since I was a kid and one day a few years back zZounds had a 6118 anniversary at a discount. I’ve been a tele guy for 20 years, and this was my first hollowbody- it was the players edition anny, so it had a thinner body and ml bracing.

I loved it. It was so cool! It played and sounded awesome, fit and finish from terada were perfect, the filtertrons were super cool, the controlled feedback was rad, and the bigsby stayed in tune. Also, it had a thicker u-shaped neck, so you may want to check out that model if you’re still in the market.

but. I realized I had a hard time with the higher frets due to the thick body and single cutaway. And it really started to get to me, even though I loved literally everything else about it. I could play it, sure, but why compromise with a $2k instrument?

So I ended up selling it on for an Es-335 with higher fret access and now I’m happy. Now I’ve got a strat, a tele, and a Gibson, and even though I don’t have the “great gretsch sound” anymore, I do feel like I’ve got what I need for my sound and how I play. I’m bummed I don’t really sync with the big gretsch boxes, though, they look cool as heck

terekyasuta and nojazzhere like this.
  3. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

Unless you are Joe Bonomassa, buying a $6,000 guitar isn't something you do everyday. Might as well make an event out of it! Even if I knew the exact model that I wanted, I'd want to try multiples out before settling on "the one". It would be well worth the trip to find the right one- or find out that it isn't.

terekyasuta likes this.
  4. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Filtertrons are my favorite humbucker.
    Got a pair in a 6112 Jr. TCB
    A tad over six pounds, with six ton mojo.
    Can go from Bakersfield to ACDC.
    She’s thinner than an Annie.

terekyasuta likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.