Gretsch G5435 Electromatic Pro Jet_What Think?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Random1643, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Admittedly just a T-ish guitar, but am wondering if anyone has one, or has played one.

My Gretsch G5620T-CB weighs a bit over 9 lbs. I'm almost 65 yrs old. Gigging can be tiring, painful. Casting about for a lighter guitar, I came across this Riff City variant of the G5435 Pro Jet. Average weight of 6.85 lbs. Cosmetic issues kicked some of em down to B-Stock, so they knocked a few dollars off; I've never cared about cosmetics. So $400 + tax. I'm gonna stop by and play a few tomorrow as I head back home from a work trip so hopefully can sort out any build quality, playability, etc issues. If I find one I like I'll probably replace the Black Top Filter 'Trons with the Bill Lawrence L-90s I've got in the G5620T-CB, but I'll try the stock pickups first. Here's the specs and a pic.
    • Body Wood: Chambered Basswood
    • Body Color/Finish: "Natural" Gloss Top, Satin Back
    • Neck Wood: Maple, Satin Finish
    • Neck Radius: 12"
    • Fingerboard: Rosewood
    • Fingerboard Inlays: Thumbnail
    • Frets: 22 Medium Jumbo
    • Nut: Synthetic Bone
    • Nut Width: 1.6875"
    • Headstock: Jet™ Style
    • Tuners: Vintage-Style
    • Scale Length: 24.6"
    • Bridge: Anchored Adjusto-Matic™
    • Pickups: Black Top Filter'Tron™
    • Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Volume, Master Tone
    • Hardware Finish: Chrome
    • Case: Not Included
    • Country Of Origin: China

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    zippofan and Fendereedo like this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Basswood will certainly help lighten the load. I've never tried one, but the specs seem really good. Try it, if you are comfortable with playing it, then why not go for it.

Random1643 likes this.
  3. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

I just sold mine but don't let that put you off. It was a neck thing. Otherwise pound for pound the best cheapish guitar I've come across. That these retail for about the same as Squier VM amazes me. Look great, built great, sound great, play great. You can put new pickups in but it in no way needs them.

Random1643 likes this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I had a grey one, imitation of the original years ago, liked it.
    I like the look of that one, I agree with @Fendereedo if you are comfortable with it and it sounds good to you, go for it. Enjoy.

Fendereedo and Random1643 like this.
  5. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

I just bought a 5435 Electromatic Pro Jet, and so far I love it. Lightweight, good sound, nice neck, Bigsby, what's not to like? Plus it looks cool.

Random1643 likes this.
  6. Random1643

Thanks for these helpful posts. All other thoughts, experiences are welcomed.

This particular model doesn't have a Bigsby, which I'm sorta bummed about. My G5620 came with a Bigsby B70 and I really have gotten to like it. (Onboard vibrato is one of those things in life that you don't know you like/need until you try it; now apparently I like/need a Bigsby. :rolleyes:) But that would just add +/-10 oz to the guitar, so....I'll try to live without it.

Am stopping by Riff City this afternoon to play "a few." I'll report back.

7. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I have on and it’s awesome

Random1643 likes this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I really really wanted on of those in Gold Top with Bigsby, almost made an impulse buy, still might do it. The one I played was really really great.

Random1643 likes this.
  9. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

1536856652394.jpg Here's mine.

10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Random1643 and MisterZ like this.
  11. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Went into the store looking to get a better Tele than I had and a Blues Cube, tried the Jazz Tele and this, didn't love the Jazz Tele, walked out with this and a Katana 50. And I'm not sorry about any of it.

GFrank, drlucky and Random1643 like this.
  12. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a 5235T several years ago which I gave to a friend. He gigs it regularly and says it is the most dependable instrument that he's ever had. It weighs just about 7 pounds.

I agree with @Fendereedo and @Tonetele, if you find it comfortable and like how it sounds, go for it!

Random1643 likes this.
  13. Random1643

Thanks for all your thoughts. This forum is a real resource.

I stopped by Riff City today to try out the G5435. Here are a few thoughts:
    • They have a nice room with lots of electric guitars on the wall where I played 2 of these special edition Gretsch Pro Jets as described above in my first post.
    • With a of bit forward planning I brought my go-to 14-watt tube amp for a more direct comparison with my G5620T-CB back at home. Also brought a guitar strap so I could try em out standing up like "normal."
    • The first G5435 need a proper setup - buzzing, poor intonation. The second had a much better setup including perfect intonation and I spent most of my time playing that one.
    • I do think that having 10s (strings) on the G5435 at the shop threw me a bit. I'm a bare fingers percussive picker and more used to 12s and 13s, especially for short-scale guitars like Electromatics. This made the comparison more difficult.
    • In summary, by the end of my visit, I found myself missing my modded G5620. The second G5435 had decent pickups that sounded okay via my tube amp, effective volume & tone controls, felt comfortable to play sitting or standing, looked fine - I couldn't even find any blemishes, the neck & fretboard were okay, the volume & tone balance across the strings was okay, and @ 2+ lbs less than my G5620 it felt crazy light. But overall the quality of each/all those factors, except weight of course, hit maybe half of what I'm used to with the G5620 which maybe makes sense given the price points for G5435 vs G5620. So adequate but not really good >in my opinion<.
    • So, for now, I'm gonna stick with what I got. Pic below. (I really missed those BL L-90s.)
    • I like the folks at Riff City. They're laidback, knowledgeable, customer-oriented. https://www.riffcityguitaroutlet.com/ I feel lucky that here in central Minnesota, USA I've got this and my local store, Bridge of Harmony, to cover most music needs. I also use Sweetwater occasionally; it's a great mix of options.
    upload_2018-9-13_20-4-39.png

14. EuroBailey

EuroBailey Tele-Holic

These look great. I’m in love with the equivalent in Cadillac green - I think it was a 2016 limited edition run but hard to come by and pricier then the current models in red and black . Love the gold hardware!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.