Gretsch G 9500 Jim Dandy Owners Juke Joint

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Mimmo_CVC, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Mimmo_CVC

Mimmo_CVC TDPRI Member

Great deal indeed! 26!!! Sometimes Amazon does wonder!
    Anyway, I'd better add some foam to the upper shoulders of the body than to the headstock, leaving the empty space there for a cleaning cloth, the strap, etc.

2. GeekPriest

GeekPriest Tele-Meister

Good idea. I'll actually cut some of the foam that protected the case in its box and use a safety pin to attach it to the lining at the top of the upper shoulders area in the case.

3. GeekPriest

GeekPriest Tele-Meister

4. Mimmo_CVC

Mimmo_CVC TDPRI Member

Once properly shaped and put in place you can finally cover it with some matching black velvet. You know... we Italians care about look as well as function :)

5. GeekPriest

GeekPriest Tele-Meister

But of course!

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

About 2-1/2 years ago, I bought a used Breedlove Concert sized guitar at the local GC, and it came with a hardshell case with a name plate on the side that said "Tour Grade."

My new Breedlove Passport Plus C250SBe - 8.jpg My new Breedlove's case 'Tour Grade'.jpg

The Breedlove fits in it just fine. When I've needed to transport my Jim Dandy in a case, I've used this case. It isn't a snug fit; the JD sits in it about like it does in that Guardian CG-020-O case that GeekPriest posted a picture of (see previous page). But stuff a hand towel in above the headstock and it doesn't shift around too much. I don't think the "Tour Grade" brand is around anymore, but maybe they can still be found. Like I said, mine came with a guitar I bought used.

7. optofonik

optofonik Tele-Meister

8. LGOberean

Optofonik, is it a well padded soft case or basically just a canvas gig bag?

9. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I'd like to know too. it certainly looks cool. :cool:

over to @optofonik ;)

LGOberean likes this.
  10. LGOberean

Some time back, I posted here about how to amplify my Jim Dandy, and that I was considering the iRig Acoustic Stage digital mic/preamp system. Well, I recently bought one.

One comment back when I first talked about this questioned going digital with such an old school style instrument. I get that, a DeArmond soundhole pickup in this little Gretsch would be so cool. But that's not a cost effective option. Plus, I have 2 other acoustics that I want to amplify, both dreadnoughts. It is also not cost effective to install permanent systems in each of the guitars, when they will rarely be gigged (I have 3 acoustic/electrics for that). So I needed one system to amplify all 3, something I could switch from guitar to guitar at will, and the iRig fit the bill.

When I bought the iRig system, I had recently just acquired one of those 2 acoustic dreads I was just talking about, and so when the iRig came, I tested it out on the two dreads, and since there is a way to use the iRig with an acoustic/electric and blend the two signals, I tested it with my a/e guitars as well. Ironically, I don't think I tried it out with my Jim Dandy, the guitar that started me thinking of this IK Multimedia system in the first place.

As I was thinking of this thread this morning, and wondering if @optofonik had replied yet about that soft case/gig bag, I decided to plug the iRig system into my Fishman Loudbox Mini and test it out with the Jim Dandy. And I gotta say...not bad. :) The nasal honk of this little parlor style guitar is actually captured pretty well by this digital system. So now, though I'll probably rarely ever use it for gigs, I have a way to amplify my Jim Dandy that lets its character come through.

11. LGOberean

I've got a gig this afternoon, and then getting together with some of the family afterwards, so for now I just want to wish all my fellow American Jim Dandy owners a happy and safe fourth of July...from "Uncle Sam, the later years."
    07-04-2015.jpg 07-04-2015.jpg

12. LGOberean

I'm going to revisit the subject of strings for the Jim Dandy. Which of necessity brings up what feels like a confession: I've yet to change the strings on my Jim Dandy. The gravity of that statement become clear when I remind fellow JD owners that I bought mine May 25, 2017! :eek::oops: Two years and four months, and I've yet to change the strings.

As I've said before, I don't know what it was strung with. The webpage for the Gretsch JD said D'Addario EJ16s, but whatever mine was strung with, they did not have those telltale color coded ball ends, so I know they were changed at the local store before I bought it. But they feel like 12s, and they must be coated/treated/whatever you call it, 'cuz they've lasted two years and four months! And it's not like I haven't played it. Granted, it doesn't get as much play as my teles or go-to gigging acoustic/electric, but it's been played, and in adverse weather conditions. It's been to the beach 2-3 times, and on a camping trip. And whenever I play guitar on the back deck, my Jim Dandy is almost always the one I take outside. Did just tonight, in fact. And the strings are still holding up.

But when I do change them, I'm thinking about experimenting. I seem to recall some here have tried brass strings ("80/20 bronze"). I've wondered what those would sound like. I've tried them on my dreadnoughts in the past and didn't like them; too bright, too brassy. But would that work on a parlor guitar for an old sound? Or would the nasal-y midrange honkiness need something warmer?

My Dad had a Stella by Harmony in the '60s, and the strings that were on his guitars were Black Diamonds. So that's what I played starting out. Those old sets were billed as "silver-plated copper wire, wound on finest steel." I'm wondering what compares to those old strings in today's market.

Just rambling here, so I'll stop.

13. Mimmo_CVC

Mimmo_CVC TDPRI Member

Maybe just Robert Johnson had larger interval for strings change :lol: !!!

Once I tried Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20 12-52 but I hated them so much that after 1 week, I moved 3 of them to a cigarbox guitar and bought a set of Martin phosphor bronze Eric Clapton 12-52. For the moment I am very satisfied with them and I don't think I will change.
    Probably 80/20 strings are not the best choice for the small body of the JD. Check this and comments...

Regarding the original equipment strings, mine, too, was not color-coded, but I think that they were indeed D'Addario, that, in OEM bulk orders, provide the companies without color codification.

As for silver-plated copper wire of the past, my guess (but based on nothing...) is that some pure nickel set could be near to that tone. They are available for electric gtr. I use 10-45 D'Addario EP110 on my Tele. EPN21 are 12-51 wounded G, and they could be material for a test.

14. LGOberean

You're probably right about the 80/20s on the JD. Like I said, I didn't like them on my dreads, so I probably wouldn't on a parlor either. As for the pure nickels coming close to the silver-plated copper of yesteryear, I had wondered that myself. Then again, I found online that Black Diamond Strings is apparently still in business, and they still offer silverplated strings for acoustic, acoustic/electric, for 6 & 12 strings, in different gauges (for the 6-strings). I may just have to order a set for old time's sake.

15. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

These sound very nice on mine...

Martin S&S .jpg

16. LGOberean

Hmmm...Interesting choice. I like the sound of silk & steels, I tried them on another guitar years ago. Softer, warmer tone, as I recall. But I'm not sure that's the sound I'm looking for with my Jim Dandy.

17. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Good luck with the Back Diamonds if you give them a try. Here's my JD, BTW...

Grestch JD 05-19 used Like New.jpg

mimmo and LGOberean like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.