Gretsch Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by A.B.Negative, Jun 19, 2009.

1. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I picked up this Gretsch Electromatic 5420TG last week, my first Gretsch.

I honestly think this is about the best guitar I have ever purchased.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Hi

I am in again....

I came to friend's guitar shop just to say "hello" with a 2018 Gibson Les Paul P90s and got out with a 1990 Gretsch 6120...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

Count me in (again) with this G5420T with TV Jones Setzer Filtertrons and chrome jack plate. Both mods done by the previous owner. I may hardtail her though, still deciding.

20201121_210819.jpg

4. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

My first Gretsch was an Electromatic ProJet. Neat guitar, but I sold it a few years ago. Now I have a 1957 reissue DuoJet and just a few days ago I picked up a Gretsch Gin Rickey. There is just something about Gretsch guitars. I wouldn't mind having a CVT/Corvette at some point either. IMG_20201122_162055080.jpg IMG_20190714_151412396.jpg

Edit: I got the Duo Jet in a trade (62 AVRI Jazzmaster--also a super sweet guitar, but I have no regrets). I didn't know much about the specific model number when I got it, but I believe it is a G6128T-1957.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  5. Florida Sam

Florida Sam Tele-Meister

I bought an Electromatic Jet a few months ago and loved it. I've been on the hunt for an affordable MIJ version and one popped up locally for a great deal.
    2003 6128T. Made in January, all pre-Fender specs but a post Fender serial number. I love the V Bigsby most of all. 20201128_155909.jpg

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

sharp-looking guitar

timeless style

7. RagtimeJoe65

RagtimeJoe65 TDPRI Member

Looking for a recommendation. I've decided to get a Gretsch. I'm playing old style country, rockabilly and Travis style fingerpicking. The Gretsch humbucking pickups seem to be the love child of the telecaster and the Les Paul and work perfectly for all of these styles. I want to keep the guitar small so the Setzer size guitars are out. I'm looking at the electromatic series, specifically the G5230T. I can spend up to $1,500 including case.

Gretsch is a new world to me. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Have you looked at Jr.s? I don't personally like them, big Falcon/CC bodies are best for me. It's out of budget but you won't have to shop around for new pickups either.

G6659 Broadkaster Jr, but it doesn't have real-deal Filtertrons, some overwound-y "Full-trons".

G5655T Electromatic Center Block JR is almost the same thing, and still in budget after you get some TVJ Classics.

2401801872_gtr_cntbdyright_001_nr.png 2509801539_gtr_cntbdyright_001_nr.png

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  9. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Personally, I'd prefer a Gretsch with Dynasonics rather than Filtertrons for those styles (esp. for classic country & original rockabilly).

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Any of the many Jet style Electromatics over the years can do the trick. I wouldn't limit myself to just new G5220Ts. Go out and play some used ones too. They turn up pretty regularly on FB Marketplace and the like and sometimes local shops as well. You might find a great player for significantly less and with a pickup upgrade can easily meet or exceed a new Pro Jet. IMO you're gonna want trad Gretsch filters or TVJ Classics anyway based on your above statements. I don't think you get either of these with a Pro Jet Electromatic regardless of the year or model unless its a mod. Thats a quite common mod too, so another good reason to shop used.
    I have a G5236 Pro Jet from 2006, cost me around $300 with the Gretsch case. It came with the old "mini mud buckers" but played like a dream. I put T Armonds in it and its my fav guitar besides my big ole White Falcon. I have a total of about $600 in it and I have a better guitar(for my purposes) than a new one.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  11. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

I've been here three months and haven't yet checked into the Gretsch owner's club thread. Shame on me!
    upload_2021-4-19_8-44-3.png

Above is my Electromatoc 5120

Blister, El Marin and BorderRadio like this.
  12. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Gretsch Historic Series proto_floor.jpg

Blister likes this.
  13. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

Haha, I posted on page two, eleven years ago. I still have the Special Jet I posted there:

[​IMG]

For Christmas 2020 I picked up this Pro Jet:

[​IMG]

So now I reckon I have cheaper alternatives to the Big Two (DeArmond 2000s for Dyna-Sonics, Blacktops for Filter'Trons) of Gretsch-specific pickups.

[​IMG]

14. Festofish

Festofish Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey all! I’m relatively new to the club. I bought an experienced G5220 in black and fell in love! I’ve always wanted a Gretsch but they were pricey. Then comes the Electromatic line and I’m in! Anyway I love the thing. Only issue being I had to remove that cool pickguard because it interfered with my picking.

My only semihollow is a Tele so I wanted to try a bigger bodied, more traditional semihollow. GC had the G2657T on sale so I bought and returned one. F-holes were a bit sloppy and the binding around the bottom of the neck was funky. I returned it because the neck pup never worked and the bridge crapped out after a day.

So here I am awaiting an experienced G5655TG in Orange Stain and I cannot wait! The only thing thing these need is Imperial tuning machines to really complete the package.

Attached Files:

brookdalebill and Brian Krashpad like this.
  15. Ippon

Ippon Tele-Meister

16. Brian Krashpad

That's great gear, if an arguably somewhat incongruous pairing. Then again, with Pooh and a bunny atop the amp, maybe that was the intent. ;)

17. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

image.jpg
    Do I qualify? ;)

18. Brian Krashpad

19. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Holic

20200414_165925.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.