Gretsch Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by A.B.Negative, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

The boredom continues.....

Today I was looking at the Tennessean's more upscale cousin, the 6122 Country Gentleman. Apparently this was the 2nd most expensive model in the Gretsch lineup upon release, second only to the White Falcon!

2”-deep body
    Simulated f holes, walnut stain
    Two High Sensitive Filter’Tron pickups
    Double mutes, back pad, first model with the Neo Classic thumbnail inlays.

gretschVegas.jpg

thatgretsch.jpg

Random1643 and brookdalebill like this.
  2. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I believe the Country Gent was the top of the Chet Atkins line. From what I’ve read the 6120 and 6121 Atkins solid body were about the same price range and in 58’ they released both a higher and lower line (Country Gent and Tenny) I know Chet liked the 17” body but I’ve always liked the size of the Tennesseean myself, I just never was crazy about HiLo’trons, I much prefer the Filters and Supers.

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

HiLo's are an acquired taste, especially if you're not going for Chet jazzy tones it seems.

4. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I’ve never owned a guitar with HiLos so I haven’t spent a lot of time with them. I have a friend that has a 60’s 6119 with them that’s I’ve played a few hours overall and they weren’t awful to me but I just didn’t quite bond with them. I’ve got different tastes in pickups than a lot of people I guess, besides Filter’trons I really like Firebird and mini humbuckers, they don’t seem to be nearly as well liked by others. I tend to find PAF type pickups boomy in the bottom and overly middy, especially many of the overwound ones around now.

greebo830 likes this.
  5. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

Took a photo of a couple of the more unruly members of my guitar family today.

20190504_132233(1)~2.jpg

brookdalebill and greebo830 like this.
  6. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I owned an orange Nashville 6120. I loved the sound and playability, but hated the Bigsby and limited upper fret access. Gave it to a friend. My next Gretsch will be a Penguin sans Bigsby.

7. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I have a 1960-6120 that I love the sound of but it is hard to play higher up the neck. I really like Bigsbys though so that’s a plus for me but if I was doing it again I’d get a later style double cutaway 6120 Nashville, I played a original one and I really liked the way it played. You don’t hardly see them but they did reissue the SuperChet and I really like them too, they have a ducked in top like a Tele so they are in between a single and double cut.
    1BE0C253-1EB5-4DEA-B282-ACFFE86E93C7.jpeg

Mr Scallywag and brookdalebill like this.
  8. greebo830

greebo830 Tele-Meister

So finally finished the mods to my 2nd natural G2420
    [​IMG]

Got round to fitting the Dyna's to my G5420T, just waiting on custom pickguard. Thanks @BorderRadio for the installation advice.
    [​IMG]

Just picked up this little beauty, G2622 in Single Barrel Stain.
    [​IMG]

6stringcowboy, Muinarc and tombob like this.
  9. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

The new lines like the Eletromatics Gretsch is making now are really great. The professional line is too expensive for those of us that like to have projects to customize and play with. $2800 a pop 6120s or 6122s are hard to make yourself really dig into, at least for me. I’ve got a Historic and a Electro Jet I’ve modded and I’d like to pick up one of the g51xx double cutaways to do a mid 60’s Nashville setup on. I love my 1960-6120 but I’d like a double cut for gigs and I’d feel better about hauling around a $700 electromatic than a $2800 reissue.

greebo830 likes this.
  10. greebo830

greebo830 Tele-Meister

So Virtually Finished the G2622 (just waiting on Trem arm & my swap pickups out for Filter'trons)
    [​IMG]

Mods Include =
    Bone Nut
    GFS Surf-90 Pickups
    Laurel Bridge Support
    Nickel Aluminium Adjusto-matic Bridge
    Nickel Kluson Round Back Machine Heads
    Bigsby B6C V-Cut Tremolo
    Treble Bleed Mod
    Nickel G-Arrow Knobs
    Single Barrel Stain

6stringcowboy and tombob like this.
  11. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I really like that g2420 you’ve modded too. To me it’s got that late 50’s “bamboo” look. I really liked that finish on the top but never liked the pea soup green back and sides the old ones had. I know yours is natural but it looks very close to the same color, the hardware on it, the inlays and head looks 50’s style too.

greebo830 likes this.
  12. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Recently replaced a Jim Dandy that I sold two or so years back; got lucky in that I not only found one in the same color, but this example sounds better than the first!

Grestch JD 05-19 used Like New.jpg

radiocaster likes this.
  13. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I've had my Gretsch G5622T for 6 months now, changed the strings once and changed the pickups twice. :oops::D I knew I didn't like the standard 'Super HiLo Trons' when I first tried a G5622T in the shop, but I've since tried a set of Gretsch HS Filtertrons (a lot of hassle to fit and ended up un-soldering the covers off the original pickups so I could use the back plate).

I knew I should have gone for TV Jones straight away, but that's what is in there now (Classic in the neck and Classic Plus in the bridge): Easy to fit (Universal mount and a 2 way fitting on the top end), but I cut the connectors off my Gretsch loom and soldered the pickups onto the wiring instead. Much happier with the sound now and a bit more output and top end than the other two sets.

I think they look cool too, so that's a bonus:
    TV Jones fitted 3.jpg

TV Jones fitted 2.jpg

greebo830 and tombob like this.
  14. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

KevinS that’s a nice looking guitar. I’ve got HS Filters on my Electro Pro Jet. It sounds good but I’ve been itching to put a set TV Super’trons on it. I have a Super neck on my g6120 but I’ve always liked the way the old Viking and Monkeys sounded with both Supers.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  15. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Of all the 5422s out there, that one is my favorite colour. I had the white one for a while, but wasn't keen on the gold hardware.

I've got a love-hate relationship with Gretsches. I think they sound the BEST at band and not bedroom volume, which sadly doesn't happen as often as I would like. I think this is my dilemma! And... just me here, but I find the separate volumes to be less useful than on my Telecaster Deluxe. I wish they offered one tone, one volume on the 5422. But whadda ya gonna do, eh? :)

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  16. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I run my Gretsch guitars with the individual pickup volumes wide open and use the master volume. The only thing I use the pickup volumes for is when I’m on both pickups and want to brighten/darken my tone by dialing back one pickup or the other. It always seemed to start losing too much treble with both the pickup volumes and the master below full volume. I think no load pots on the pickup volumes would work great but I’ve never gotten around to trying it.

17. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Hey, is anyone a member over at Gretsch-Talk? I joined that site in order to ask a question. But even after I registered successfully, I get a message saying "you have insufficient privileges to post here". There seems to be no "help" page or way to contact anybody there to find out what's going on. I am successfully registered and logged in and can do all the other functions excpet make a post (which is the main thing I want to do).

18. greebo830

greebo830 Tele-Meister

Yeah I'm a member, whats up

19. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

No posts since June?! We need to show the Gretsch Club more love!

20. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

In the interest of full disclosure, I must banish myself from the Gretsch kingdom. Heck, I talked a fellow TDPRI member off the fence of a potential Gretsch purchase... (the horror, the shame...)

SheldonP likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.