Gretsch Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by A.B.Negative, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

I was going to say no but you brought a picture of a sweet looking Gretsch with you so...

Welcome back!

How do you like being back?

2. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Chuffed. I had the electromatic version of this guitar, along with several others that I eventually sold over the years. But this one sounds perfect as-is. I especially like the white aesthetics with the chrome hardware. She needs a setup though, but that's it!

3. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

I love how well that multi-ply binding sets off the whole package.

4. vox Phantom

vox Phantom Tele-Meister

What do you guys think about the G6659TG Player Edition
    Broadkaster JR with Center Block? gretsch_g6659tg_players_edition_broadkaster_jr_4.jpg

5. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

4FE14A78-02D3-4082-99A4-A90224634A2A.jpeg I really like the Jr. models of Gretsch. The Broadcaster center block really seems like a perfect base for a customized gigging guitar. I looked at the double cutaway at a store and I really would like to pick on up. I wasn’t crazy about the pickups but that’s a easy fix. I’d swap the B5 that was on it with a B3 or B7 but that’s easy too. I have a electromatic Jet I swapped out the B5 for a B3, used a space controller bridge and put HS Filter’trons in that made a great player.

6. vox Phantom

vox Phantom Tele-Meister

tombob would TV Jones be better pickups then the stock one's?

7. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I have TV Jones on my 6120 and they’re really great pickups. I think they are as close as you can get to the 60’s Filter’trons. I have the High Sensitive Filter’trons on my Jet, they’re good pickups, I prefer them to them the Blacktops that came on it quite a bit.

8. greebo830

greebo830 Tele-Meister

I finished off the Riviera Blue G2622T over the weekend. Once it was finished I gave it to my son as a easter present.

[​IMG]

Mods included =
    Aged Bone Nut
    TV Jones “Duo'Tron” Pickups
    Aluminium Secured Adjust-o-matic Bridge
    Chrome Grover Machineheads
    Licensed Bigsby B60 Vibrato
    Bigsby “Chet Atkins” Tremolo Arm
    Spraque Hyrel 0.022 PIO Capacitor (changed from original modded Orange drop for more warmth)
    Treble Bleed Mod
    Chrome G Arrow Knobs (changed from modded plain chrome barrel knobs)

The only downside to the mods is that after changing the pickups nether the original pickguard or the g5420 pickguard fit properly. The original is cut wrong and the G5420 sit too high (actually abovr the frets after the body join) luckily my son perfers the look without the pickguard.

Muinarc likes this.
  9. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

Greebo how do you like the Duo’trons? I know Ray Butts made some very similar but in D’Armond cases for Chet. I bet they work great for fingerstyle. I’ve run regular Filter’trons with the poles screwed up on the bass side of the bridge and the treble side of the neck then use both pickups with good effect. I use my Gretschs for gigs too but my love for them comes from playing Atkins style for years.

By the way, my last post I don’t know if I was clear about the pickups in my Jet. The HS Filters are Gretsch brand that were stock on my 6120. They’re not quite TV Jones but they are very good pickups. The Blacktop pickups were okay but I prefer the HS by quite a bit. I’ve been wanting to try some 1/4” magnets in the Blacktops, that’s the biggest difference I see, they come with 1/8” mags like a humbucker.
    Has anyone swapped magnets in the Backtop Filters to 1/4” magnets?

10. greebo830

greebo830 Tele-Meister

hi Tom, To be honest I don't rate the Duo'trons that highly - their really just another humbucking pickup to me - they sounded wooly in my hollow bodies but work better in the center blocked and solid bodies, (I bought them cause they were listed as a pair for less than the price of a single unit). my son really liked the look and the sound of them so it wasn't an issue. I use a set of TV Jones Classic Plus Bridge and a Super'Tron Neck for my "Chet" moments and when I just want to play softer stylings.

My current Gretsch have a range of pickups

2007 G5120 = GFS Surf-90's
    2009 G5120 = TV Jones Classic Plus Bridge and a Super'Tron Neck
    2010 G5120 = HS Filter'Trons
    2015 G5420 = Dynasonics (awaiting fitting)
    2016 G2420T = Hilo'Trons
    2018 G2420T P-90 = Gabojo Humbucker Sized "Dynasonic" Bridge & Custom wound "Vintage Spec" P90
    2019 G2420 = HS Filter'Trons

My sons current lineup

2016 G2420T = Blacktop Filtertrons
    2019 G2420T = HS Filter'Trons
    2019 G2622T = TV Jones Duo'Trons

Here a link to my full guitar collection (97 Guitars) if your interested?
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/76319442@N04/albums/72157632741036277

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  11. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

Interesting stuff @greebo830 ! Of the 2 I quoted above, being only 1 year apart and the same model, how would you say the Classic in the bridge of the '09 compares to the bridge of the '10? I've read that they are extremely similar but always welcome some more opinions.

12. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I have the TV-J flat blade Super’tron neck and Classic Plus bridge in my 1960-6120 that’s the same as the Chet Atkins Country Gentleman based on his 58’ he used in the studio. I really like the Super’tron, I wouldn’t mind having a pair, especially if I could get the bridge wound like the plus. Some time I would like a set to put in my modded Electro Jet.

greebo830 likes this.
  13. greebo830

greebo830 Tele-Meister

They are very similar sounding but I find that the TV Jones classic plus is slightly rounder in the top end with a bit more mids added in, this probably has a lot to do with the fact that its a higher wound pickup than the Filter'Tron (i'd say more like a PAF/P90 hybrid than a Filter'Tron Twang) In all honesty I tend to only use the Super'Tron neck on that guitar (that is pure heaven).

This is just my opinion but I find some TV jones units to be a bit too middy.

Units tried

TV-HT vs Hilo'Trons = these two are real close, the TV-Ht's have a bit more power in the bridge and are hum canceling but I think that you lose a little of the character of proper Hilo's

T-Armond vs Dynasonics = Again too much mids, Dynasonics all the way

Classic vs Filter'Tron = Prefered the overall sound of the Filter'Trons

Duo-Trons = In my hollow bodied guitars I found these sounded a little muddy with a noticable midrange - however once they went into my sons g2622T they certainly sound more focused and yet vintage at the same time.

Classic Plus = sounds too me like Jones is trying PAF + Filter'tron, sounds good but not a Filter'tron

Super'Tron Neck = Probably the best pickup I've tried from the TV Jones range.

T-90 = a nice sounding P-90 type but a little modern sounding for me.

These are just my thoughts on the pickups I've tried, other people opinions will vary.

@tombob
    with regards to the Super'tron Bridge I swapped out the magnet from a G5420 Blacktop to a Alnico 8 (al8 gives you the extra power while still keeping the alnico sweetness - !/4 magnet should be enough because of the extra power - think Alnico 2 with more of evrything) and found it to sound pretty close to the Classic plus however it actaully looks like the bridge pickup of the 58 Country Gent that Chet used

Muinarc likes this.
  14. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I emailed TV Jones just out of curiosity. They don’t do custom winds anymore so I can’t get a Plus with Super’tron rails. The first time I ordered from him I actually talked to Tom (TV) Jones for a while on the phone for a half hour. He was doing about anything you wanted then. That’s been years ago when he was still a fairly small/medium pickup builder. I would like to either get a Super for the neck of my Jet sometime but I haven’t decided between the Super or Plus bridge, I really like Super’trons.

I had a idea that a magnet swap would do wonders for the blacktop filters, I figured that’s what you meant you put the A8 in. Mine that came in the Jet wasn’t wound much different than the regular Filter’trons. It’s seems like it was 4.5k neck and between 4.5 and 5k bridge, I don’t remember exactly off the top of my head.

15. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

Hey thanks for the detailed impressions. I agree with your statement that the TV Jones can be middy, at least the ones that I tried were as well. I've seen good clips of them on youtube though and people do seem to love them so I'm sure I'd need to give them another shot somewhere down the line.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  16. greebo830

greebo830 Tele-Meister

Your welcome, since we testing out some of the pickups in various guitars I decided to pull the Classic Plus & Super'Tron And install my Alnico 8 loaded Blacktop in the bridge coupled with a Alnico 3 loaded Blacktop neck.
    [​IMG]

The "Chet Atkins" Set will be going in this little beauty when it arrives on tuesday, found it at a local pawnshop £240. (picking it up on tuesday)
    [​IMG]

This means I'll have 2 natural g2420's so this ones getting the full works =
    Kluson Round Back Machine Heads
    Bone Nut
    Nickel Toggle Switch Tip
    G5420 Silver Pickguard
    TV Jones Super'Tron Neck Pickup
    TV Jones Classic Plus Bridge Pickup
    Bigsby B-60 Tremolo
    Duane Eddy Tremolo Arm
    Hyrel PIO Capacitor
    Treble Bleed Mod
    Chrome G-Arrow Speed Dials

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  17. greebo830

greebo830 Tele-Meister

So I decided I couldn't wait till tuesday and went and picked it up on saturday - Finished the mods except fitting the B-60 (drill playing up so don't want to stuff it up)
    [​IMG]

and the 2 natural beauties together
    [​IMG]

Muinarc likes this.
  18. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I’ve played some old Gretsch models with brass nuts. I really like them with Filter’trons, it adds a bit of sustain and upper mids both of which old school Filter’trons can use. Bone is good too but I really like brass.
    Greebo830, those are beautiful guitars, both of them. I’ve always liked blonde arch top guitars.

greebo830 and brookdalebill like this.
  19. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

I'm bored so I thought I'd give this Club thread some videos.

Today I'm on a 6119 Tennessean kick.....

After 61:
    2¼”-deep body (later narrowed to 1 7/8")
    Painted on simulated f holes on a dark cherry-walnut stain
    Two single-coil Gretsch Hi-Lo Tron pickups
    White binding on the fingerboard and top of the body (none on the back).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    greebo830 likes this.
  20. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

56C90852-5A2C-46DF-B2C3-8928B3751578.jpeg I loved the look of the first 6119 Tennessean. The cherry red ones with only a bridge pickup. I’d miss the neck PU but I really like the looks of them.
    I’ve thought the new electromatic hollow bodies would be a good start for building up a two pickup version. The head on the 58’ 6119 looked like the Electromatic heads anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.