Gretsch 6120 Eddie Cochran: opinions?

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
I'm a Gretsch guy (former 6118, current 6620), and I've been enamored by the Eddie Cochran model for a long time. Do any of y'all have this one, or have had it that can provide some insights?

How does not having a sound post or trestle bracing impact feedback? Can you play it with any kind of gain at gig volume? I'm looking for dimed 18w gain without feedback - will this handle it?

How's the neck? I've had 2 players edition gretsches and the necks have been outstanding - I wonder if it's similar.

Lastly, do you think owning one of these and a tele are too similar? they both twang and play jazz, so I want to be sure they're different enough to warrant both.

Thanks!

donrichfan

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I'm a Gretsch guy (former 6118, current 6620), and I've been enamored by the Eddie Cochran model for a long time. Do any of y'all have this one, or have had it that can provide some insights?

How does not having a sound post or trestle bracing impact feedback? Can you play it with any kind of gain at gig volume? I'm looking for dimed 18w gain without feedback - will this handle it?

How's the neck? I've had 2 players edition gretsches and the necks have been outstanding - I wonder if it's similar.

Lastly, do you think owning one of these and a tele are too similar? they both twang and play jazz, so I want to be sure they're different enough to warrant both.

Thanks!
I've wondered what the Eddie Cochran was like as well and hope to find one to try out sometime. I'm sure the neck is amazing... The Eddie would have plenty of twang, but I'd bet it isn't anywhere near the same as a Tele. Probably closer to the 6620.
By the way, I have a 6620 also and the neck is certainly nice and comfy--love that guitar. I think it's Gretch's sleeper model.

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
I've wondered what the Eddie Cochran was like as well and hope to find one to try out sometime. I'm sure the neck is amazing... The Eddie would have plenty of twang, but I'd bet it isn't anywhere near the same as a Tele. Probably closer to the 6620.
By the way, I have a 6620 also and the neck is certainly nice and comfy--love that guitar. I think it's Gretch's sleeper model.
I love the 6620! I’ve had an es-335 and an anniversary and it’s the perfect combo of both.

Im hoping that the Cochran model will be the perfect mix of p90 and dynasonic twang- and really hope it can handle dirt.