1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Gretch or Duesenberg? Help me spend my money.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by sir humphrey, Nov 20, 2014.

1. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

I've been lucky enough to come into some money I wasn't expecting - and of course that can only mean one thing. GAS attack!

I've had a hankering for a semi-hollow for some time, and it's always been either a Country Gentleman or a White Falcon.

But now I've had my head turned by this little beauty.

While I love the look and sound of the Gretches, I've always found the bridge pickup placement to be a bit awkward for my fingerpicking style.

Plus the Doozie looks so gorgeous, and has great reviews.

Help me spend my money! Anyone have any opinions - particularly if you have experience of any/all of these guitars.

Attached Files:

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a nice 6120-60 that I love. But I think the Doozies are a step above. If you can play one first I'd check it out. Gretsches work for me and I think they have a unique thing going on, but if the ergonomics cramped my style as you mentioned, I'd shop around. You really can't go wrong either way.

We'll want to see pictures for whicever guitar you buy. Just to muddy the waters, I'm adding a picture of the "Creme de Marine" Falcon.

Attached Files:

3. sir humphrey

Damn - that is a beauty

4. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

What is it about the pickup placement that bothers you?

I haven't played a Duesenburg but if we're talking beauties, my Brian Setzer Hot Rod is the most beautiful guitar in the world. Luckily it plays and sounds as good as it looks!

The colour never comes out right when I take a photo of it but it looks a lot like this:

[​IMG]

5. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Holic

Sir Humphrey

On the one hand I have yet to play a Duesenberg that sounds and feels as good as it looks; on the other, none of the Gretsches I have tried have been 'meh'.

It did take a while to find the Gretsch that suited me. Should you wish to try out my 6128 (Duo Jet) in Swindon, simply contact me by any convenient means, however please be advised it is not for sale.

G

[​IMG]

6. sir humphrey

AB - I rest my palm on the bridge and pick close to it, I find with the Gretches that the pickup is too close and too high for me and I catch my fingers on it. Can't find one that doesn't do that to me - which is a damn shame as I love everything else about them.

Matchless - cool guitar, but that's a solid body isn't it? Thanks for the invite - we should meet up sometime, maybe next time you do something with DG.

7. Big Burly

Big Burly Tele-Meister

DuoJets are heavily chambered. They could be considered semi-hollow with no F-holes.

If you want a semi-hollow guitar, Gretsch does make them now. The 6120 and White Falcon that you mentioned are fully hollow (with some sort of bracing, either sound posts or trestles).

I can understand your issues with pickup height/placement. I don't like dogear P90s for the same reason.

8. strummer tele

strummer tele Banned

Dude, this is easily settled by using the "You only live once" philosophy.

You only live once, get yourself a White Falcon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even on days when my beloved Knicks get slaughtered by the worst team in basketball, I can look over and see my White Falcon and still know it is a good day. You're not just buying a guitar when you buy a Falcon. You are buying satisfaction. Jagger was wrong. You CAN get satisfaction.

(Pssst, by the way, White Falcons are not as expensive as you might think. Shop at a Gretsch dealer and save hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Them Gretsch people are some good people.)

9. sir humphrey

I'm leaning back that way. Theres a shop in Bristol that sells them - will pop in and try one out tomorrow, see how I get on with pickup placement.

They are pretty gorgeous, it has to be said.

10. strummer tele

strummer tele Banned

I'm a bit puzzled by your trouble finger-picking on a Gretsch being that the most famous Gretsch player of them all - Chet - was a finger-picker. I had flatwounds on my Falcon for a long while just so I can play it as a finger-pickin guitar. Gretsches really are hard to beat when it comes to finger picking.

Obviously, we all have our own little quirks and styles when we play our guitars and clearly you have your way, but to be honest a player saying they can't finger pick on a Gretsch is a strange statement. Like saying one can't play country on a Telecaster.

Hope you give a Gretsch a try and work out any difficulties in your style. They are special guitars.

11. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

I don't know anything about Duesenberg and it's a nice looking guitar, but if I could afford a Gretsch White Falcon or 6120, I'd go Gretsch just because I have always wanted one, like Brian Setzer and Billy Duffy and Matt Ashman (I love the 80's).

12. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Duesenberg is hands down a better guitar than the Gretsch, but the Gretsch is more recognized. Since FMIC has there paws all over Gretsch you'll probably get 99% Gretsch love on this site.

13. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

14. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I have lusted fro a White Falcon for a few years..I Have a 6119 Tennesee Rose that I LOVE...

The Duesenberg is a lovely looking guitar and might play equally as well however for me the resale value would be a problem...A White Falcon is likely to hold it's value a lot better...not a huge factor but one I do allow for , especially at that price point.

Good luck with your purchase, good times involved in the searching and acquiring of a new, high end guitar, enjoy!

edit, I might add that if the Deusenberg was 1/2 to 3/4 the price it would be a tougher decision because they seem like awesome guitars...

But I would also be more keen on a filtertron pickup than versions of p90 and humbuckers....

15. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Um, YES! Both is the obvious answer.

I think the modern Gretsches are far better made than the vintage ones. Still, I just don't seem to get on with their larger guitboxes. Love how they look. How they play, for me? Maybe not my thing. But then again mine's older than me and they were notoriously variable back in the 50s. Maybe I just have (a good looking) stinker.

Duesey's are fantastic. I'm told they make all their own hardware, and I like their pickup combinations. That said, the four, maybe five I've tried have all been heavier than I'd personally want. If they're good enough for a tonehound like Mike Campbell, they're good enough for me. If they were a pound or two lighter.

Cheers,
    Geoff

16. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah I'd say the exact opposite. And just because Fender distributes Gretsch doesn't mean this site has any particular Gretsch fandom.

I've just always found the Deusenbergs overhyped and overpriced. I haven't played a better guitar than a pro-line Gretsch.

17. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Here is my baby...... As was said in an earlier post just looking at it makes you smile. It's the history and the imagery it makes you feel like Mick Jones, Steve Marriott or Billy Duffy without even moving off the stand.....

P.s. The Billy Duffy signature is a stunner....

Attached Files:

18. sir humphrey

I just have a fairly unconventional hand position when picking - it works for me, just not on Gretches! They sound great finger picked, but I can't get past catching my nails on the pickup.

Having said that, I haven't tried them all - hoping the Falcon will be different!

19. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Holic

As has been remarked, a Duo Jet is not that different from a centre-block hollow-body.

The pole-pieces of the Dynasonic pickups (on mine anyway) protrude a long way towards the strings. Some people have made gaskets out of mouse-mat material to raise the pickups towards the strings - they are still as close to the strings, but not as nail-catchy. There has been quite a lot of discussion about this over on gretsch-talk.com.

20. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

If the polepiece screws get in the way, how about a Gretsch with TV Jones Supertrons?

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.