Greta Van Fleet

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by messhead, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't have a problem with them. I don't particularly like them, but if it helps kids discover electric guitars, I'm good with that.

Which one's Greta?

nojazzhere, broadcaster and lineboat like this.
  2. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

They’re not my favorite, but they’re young, and everyone starts somewhere. I heard an old interview with SRV where he couldn’t stop talking about Clapton.
    We all have an influence, and maybe GVF will come into their own.

stratoman1 and Tootle like this.
  3. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

To me they sound like if you started with a very convincing Zeppelin cover band, but then took away everything about Zeppelin’s music that made the structure, lyrics and playing complex. And then had the singer sing off pitch the vast majority of the time.

And that’s all fine. The Rolling Stones started life as a mediocre blues variety act.

My worry is that they found success with this formula and will thus be hard pressed to deviate from it. Most kids go through this phase in their playing. They just don’t do it on stages in front of 10,000 people telling them “this is what music has been missing, you are the saviors of rock and roll.”

6BQ5 and Paul in Colorado like this.
  4. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Zeppelin would have never ripped anyone off. Lol.

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

selling Boomer nostalgia is like printing money

/shrugs

it's a livin'

6BQ5 likes this.
  6. claes

claes Tele-Holic

That what's so ridiculous. They deny that zep is a big a big influence and instead mention other bands as main influences. They are to much of a carbon copy for my taste.

Iago and 6BQ5 like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

They purposefully copied the Z sound, it's what they want to do (some interview I saw a year+ ago). The band name they got from an older woman they thought had a great name for a band.

I've never been a Z fan, so I don't get into their stuff, but they do seem to do a good job, good marketing, and might make something bigger. As long as they don't 'get a record deal' they will probably do alright beyond the first album.

8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

They rock. I wish I could copy the Zep sound so well.

I kind of have to be in a Zep mood to listen though, which lately I haven't been.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

At least they're not doing Zep songs, they're doing their own.

10. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

Honestly, right now if I had to pick between going to a live show done by a great Zeppelin tribute band and GVF, I’d take the tribute band (say, for example Zoso). At least then the songs would be good.

11. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

I wanna listen to them in 20 years. There's potential, but the singer annoys me to death.

12. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

I always disliked LZ and a derivative version 40+ years later is just as bad.

13. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I'm glad they play instruments.

The lead singer could probably wear something other than a house dress and slippers.

14. luckett

luckett Banned

We'll know that Greta Van Fleet has reached peak Zeppelin when the singer starts showing us the moose knuckle.

Anode100 and OldMike like this.
  15. mrjamboree

mrjamboree TDPRI Member

To me they seem like a band that's hitting a market of older people who grew up with similar sounding music. Good on them for making a living at playing music and hitting that market. However I don't find too many people my own age (myself included) who are really interested in listening to new bands playing older sounding music. I don't hate em, but I don't love em.

16. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

From the little I've heard from them, they're pretty good .Yeah, a Zep influence for sure but they're still young. Give them some time and more experience and they'll make their own identity soon enough

17. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

I wish anybody and everybody success in the music industry. Good for them for finding an audience.

Zepfan and chiefline like this.
  18. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

I don't know about them denying a Zep influence. I read an interview where the guitarist said he spent a year figuring out and playing Zep. Obviously an influence.

19. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Holic

I want to like them.. but I can't. Even though I'm an "older" millennial who loves rock from the 60s & 70s.. they just piss me off when I watch 'em (maybe it's because they feel like an imitation like many of you have stated).
    It's the outstanding amount of posers & gimmicks I'm exposed to from the internet/social media.
    Feels like they have great potential but it's wasted on mimicry, but that's just my opinion. :confused::mad:

20. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Oh well, always next time. Glasgow is about as far away from where I live as is possible as far as their schedule is concerned....:oops:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.