Greta Van Fleet on S.N.L.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Jan 20, 2019.

1. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

I just recently discovered them...

I'm not a huge Zep fan so cant really get into their sound which is virtually identical.

2. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

I just can't see how you can't hear it yet everyone else can. The band even admits it, as does Robert Plant.

Robert Plant joked that Kiszka’s voice reminds him of “someone I know very well . . . they are Led Zeppelin I” — which Kiszka says he took as a compliment. “That’s lovely,” he says. “You can’t put that more Robert Plant than that.”

“Obviously we hear the similarity,” he says. “That’s one of the influences of ours. But at this point it’s like, ‘Okay, we’ve acknowledged that. Let’s move on.'”

And then there is this review, which is IMO spot on: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

Obviously, people are going to like whatever they so choose, but to not hear the Led Zeppelin references that everyone is talking about, even Led Zeppelin and GVF means you may want to check your hearing...or give them another listen.

3. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

So,
    I'm at work today...
    An older lady says to me:
    "Do you know who Greta Van Fleet is?"
    Um...Yeah.

She goes on to tell me how her 23 year old son and his friends love them. They have gone to see them. And now they are all getting into Led Zep. Buying their music.

No wonder Plant praised them...
    GVF has probably contributed to a huge bump in purchases of the LZ catalog.LOL

Maybe Pagey will come out of retirement and do a Black Crowes type of mini tour with GVF...

Looks like GVF is here to stay unless they blow it.

Oh well, I'm gonna listen to some Nickleback while I'm working today.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  4. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Mama said if ya don’t have anything nice to say,.........

awasson likes this.
  5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I said I didn’t associate them as strongly with LZ as others do — not that I couldn’t hear any similarity whatsoever. I’m not the only one who thinks that either. It also depends on what songs of theirs you listen to.
    I’ve been listening to Plant’s voice for close to 50 years. The GVF singer does not have the vocal chops of Plant. He just sings in a high voice. There’s a difference.
    The music style of the band, the compositions, have some of the raw, free-form intensity of LZ, which is kind of cool.

FenderGyrl and blues bondsman like this.
  6. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    If any group would be all for this band I would have thought I'd see more positive comments... kind of shocked really. I thought they were great, not the best SNL sound job but the energy, playing actual guitars/amps, good old rocking songs. It may not be the best but hey it's a new generation that is putting out some great music... what's not to like/love? They are young and if they keep at it they will only get better and better. If anyone doubts they will be gone a flash, take a look at their tour schedule, all over the world and I bet they will be eaten up and get even more following. The world is hungry for great music with soul/energy, I believe this band will do both. cheers!

RLee77 and awasson like this.
  7. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

Just watched the SNL performance. Good grief! :eek:

I bought the first EP with Safari Song etc on it and liked it a lot... but they have very seriously regressed. This performance was just cringeworthy for me, much like their recent album. It's like kids playing rock stars... badly.

The lead singer looks like he raided a kids dressing up box, and was very off key, with a weak voice. Dreadful, with pretty much negative charisma.

At this point, the Led Zep comparisons are laughable.

This performance was much, much better imho -

8. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

If you want to relive the spooky sludgy glory days of Black Sabbath...
    Check out WINDHAND.

They have four releases.
    Black Sabbath with Soungarden and Alice In Chains mixed in...

I feel like a 15 year old in the basement with backlights and posters when I listen to them. LOL

;):twisted::D

Manual Slim and bftfender like this.
  9. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

throw in some Pantera & Slayer and it business as usual in my bandroom

FenderGyrl likes this.
  10. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

The music. That's the point I think many are syaing. It just doesn't move them. Yet for others, it does. That's all fine. Really.

Simply because a band ticks the boxes stylistically and equipment wise, doesn't mean their music will automatically speak to people.

What I'm really seeing here is that thing where people often get upset when others don't like what they like. I suspect we all do it to some degree. I know I do a little at times.

I also suspect that this kind of emotional reaction is amplified (see what I did there :)) when art is the subject matter. As opposed to say, differences in taste with food (still at it, sorry :)). People have an emotional investment with art and I think this intensifies the feelings involved. Probably the same can be said of sports, where people become invested in teams or players.

The flip side, since emotion is involved, is we get strong reactions against art at times too.

I guess it's a very human thing.

What I'm not seeing from anyone, myself included, is the wishing of any ill-will.

Pax/
    Dean
    Edit: And, even with food, for people who care or are in the industry, the same emotions might also boil over (groan :))

RLee77 likes this.
  11. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Saw them and kinda liked them. Yup, sounds like the 70s, yup sounds like Zep. I guess imitation can be the highest form of flattery. As others here have said, let 'em play. Nice to hear that kinda rock and they'll be interesting to watch develop.

awasson likes this.
  12. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Pretty standard stuff.

Kids play rock and roll, achieve world-wide success and are disparaged on TDPRI.

This seems to be the way TDPRI rolls and it's the reason numerous musicians who were members here left the fold.

13. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Same. Never had heard of them (had heard the name, but never any songs) and thought he was Greta. Not a fan, but maybe I'm missing something? No hate, just being honest. Wish them luck and great success.

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd never heard of them either but I'm so overjoyed anymore when I watch any of those shows and the musical guest isn't hip hop that anything else is a bonus. I freely admit that I could not determine the gender of the singer visually or audibly. It didn't matter to me either way, I just wanted to know.:)

tap4154 and awasson like this.
  15. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Or better yet saying “at least they are better than that (insert an entire genre of music here) garbage.”

Because as musicians we know complete and entire categories of music can be 100% awful. All of it.

Right. o_O

ac15 and awasson like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.