Greta Group

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by studio1087, Nov 25, 2012.

1. mouchoir

mouchoir TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Hi mindlobster, Yes I am in London and will PM you now. Cheers.

2. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

Got to bring home a Greta today. A local used gear shop let me take it home for a spin. I like it with my home made pinecaster into a 1X12 cabinet.

I just finished reading all 33 pages of this thread. There was one mention of using a 12AU7 in place of the 12AT7 output tube. Can someone describe the sound of using a 12AU7 for the output tube? What difference did it make? I have a shoe box full of old 12AU7 pulls from an old organ.

Thanks!

3. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I don’t know what is wrong with me, but I just bought two more Gretas off ebay! I guess I will sell one off and have one spare.

If I had the tools and space to do some cabinetry, I would rehouse one as others have done.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. JustABluesGuy

You might want to ask @Paulie Walnuts about the Greta and tubes. He’s done a lot of tube rolling with his.

Obsessed likes this.
  5. a wobblin

a wobblin Tele-Meister

I upgraded my Greta last year but it still never got any use, I have listed it in the for sale section if it is of interest to anyone.

6. JustABluesGuy

Too bad it didn’t get used. Mine gets the most use of all of my amps.

7. a wobblin

a wobblin Tele-Meister

Hi, I am new to guitar but think I need something with a bit more headroom, I dont want a loud amp but this still breaks up a little early. Maybe a vox mv50 clean, on low power would be better for my home use.

8. JustABluesGuy

Whatever works.

9. a wobblin

a wobblin Tele-Meister

do you use an external speaker, perhaps this give me more clea headroom ?

10. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Greta is a dirty girl. There is a little clean headroom to be had with an external speaker cab, but not much. the biggest increase in clean headroom I found has been with using a JJ ECC823. This is a reverse 12DW7, the 12AX7 triode is on the first half of the tube and the 12AU7 is the second half. Greta uses the second half as the first gain stage, so to get the most clean headroom using the 12AU7 as the preamp will get you the most clean headroom, without any volume loss by using a regular 12AU7. Eurotube in the link above and now Tube Depot, Amazon, Antique Electronic Supplies/Tubes and More and others have started carrying them here in North America, I'm not sure who would have them in the UK or Europe.

a wobblin likes this.
  11. JustABluesGuy

Yes, I generally use an extension cab with mine. depending on the speaker’s sensitivity I can get a fair amount of volume and headroom. More efficient speakers are the most effective way to get more volume and “perceived” headroom.

The Greta isn’t really designed for loads of pristine cleans, but I’ve played with bass, amplified acoustic, amplified vocals and cajon with no problem using it with a 1x12 cab.

I play lead, so not completely clean, but close to clean.

woolfie and a wobblin like this.
  12. predrag

predrag NEW MEMBER!

Hi greta club; I've recently joined with a used Greta and am enjoying it immensely so would like to try it with a external cab.

My question is: has anyone tried it with a 16 ohm celestion seventy 80, or a different 16ohm speaker? It's available locally for a decent price, but I've read somewhere that pairing an 8 ohm amp with a 16ohm speaker increases the mids significantly.

I would not like to change that basic nature of the sound So any advice welcome,
    Thanks

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 for @Paulie Walnuts . He helped me with tube suggestions to give me my ultimate tele/amp combo, along with a very inexpensive speaker upgrade.

14. JustABluesGuy

Welcome to the Greta club! Fender doesn’t recommend an impedence missmatch with the Greta, so I stick with 8 Ohm speakers. I’m using mine with an old 12” CTS alnico speaker.

15. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

So I finally got around to buying a speaker cable. Been playing the greta through a Pro Junior 3 cabinet...

HOLY SMOKES!

and I thought I loved this amp before!

PasiRRR and JustABluesGuy like this.
  16. JustABluesGuy

It’s really great with a nice cab. I really love it through a 2x10!

17. a wobblin

a wobblin Tele-Meister

18. PasiRRR

PasiRRR NEW MEMBER!

Hi! I think it's time for me to officially join the club. I've actually owned a Greta since the summer of 2012. I always kinda liked it, but never really used it that much and to be honest, considered selling it several times.

I'm glad I didn't! I finally took the time to do the must-do modifications. I rolled the tubes, I did the Visaton speaker upgrade. I even got some new knobs and experimented. I ended up with chicken head knobs which I painted gold. Still not totally happy with those but I think that'll do. Next step would be building or buying a red cabinet.

Man, now I love this little monster.[​IMG]

a wobblin and JustABluesGuy like this.
  19. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Tele-Meister

That's great stuff and welcome to club. That speaker makes a world of difference. Glad to hear yet another Greta isn't going to waste collecting dust anymore.

PasiRRR likes this.
  20. a wobblin

a wobblin Tele-Meister

More headroom on the Greta ! IMG_0714.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.