Greta Group

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by studio1087, Nov 25, 2012.

1. BartMan

BartMan Tele-Meister

I painted it red so it's Red cab now. :D J/K.
    Yeah, I might just do it that way. Gold corners and pipings.

2. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Tele-Meister

Anyone looking for some additional clean space or headroom should try a 5751 Preferred is a old NOS one with 3x mica. Same tube as a 12ax7 but with 30% less gain. 12at7 in v1 will work similar but they are a driver tube by design and the opinions are that its not a great musical sounding tube. New production 5751 are pretty junky and nothing like the old ruggedly made 5751 tubes. My crazy theory is the new stuff is just lower testing 12ax7 tubes they slap a 5751 label on to make money on the 12ax7 rejects. FYI old NOS 5751 tubes are still very plentiful and not expensive compared to 12ax7 prices so don't waste money on the JJ tube that will last half the life of old glass for nearly same cost. You can buy NOS 5751 tubes all day long for $20-$50 bucks

3. tinsandwich

tinsandwich TDPRI Member

Bought a Greta . Didn't like that 4" speaker and I had an old 1956 oval 6x9 alnico .....match made in heaven! More volume , smoother , great for old school harmonica. I decided to build a similar but different combo cab. Here it is still in the fabrication process.
    Greta 1.jpg Greta 2.jpg

4. tinsandwich

tinsandwich TDPRI Member

done some finishing and reinstalled. Might have to work out how to do a curved wood cover....
    28.8.18.jpg

DADGAD, horax, jaycoyoyo and 8 others like this.
  5. tinsandwich

tinsandwich TDPRI Member

Finished the cover. Pretty happy with it
    6.9.18.jpg 6.9.18-2.jpg

DADGAD, 56strat, TooBadJim and 15 others like this.
  6. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Very nice!

tinsandwich likes this.
  7. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

richey88 and tinsandwich like this.
  8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like it a lot, but I find those knobs modern. They were used on some Sovtek amps and the new Polivoks synth. They're not Russian though.

Just what comes up in my mind, they might not be that modern looking.

9. tinsandwich

tinsandwich TDPRI Member

Thanks for comment. They are just 25 cent cheap plastic but sort of look like what I am after to fit it, Chicken heads didn't look right , and the guitar tone and volume are also too modern. I have my eyes looking out for some old bakelite knobs.

10. DocScotter

DocScotter TDPRI Member

You can add me to the club. I found one used at the local Gu!tar Center and brought it home Friday night.
    Greta1967.jpg

I'd ordered the R10S speaker from Amazon in anticipation of it's arrival and I'm hoping that will help give it a little more headroom. I'm looking forward to trying out different tube to help achieve that effect.

Having said that, I put it through it's paces yesterday morning with a Squire Thinline Classic Vibe to accompany my singing through several blues and country tunes. I tend to sing pretty loudly and it did fine although it does start to distort if you really dig in like a good tube amp does.

I plugged the speaker out into the 60 year old 8 inch oval speaker of my Wicked Pissah Tube amp made from an old Kodak film projector and it puts out a lot more bass. And mojo.
    BrewWPA2.jpg

And, in today's day and age, you just can't beat mojo with a stick. Generally, I hate playing electric without reverb but the Wicked Pissah Amp and the Fender Greta both sound great without any help. I was amazed at how loud and full the Greta is through a 60 year old 8 inch speaker. I'm tempted to give the Greta the tinsandwich treatment by giving it a larger enclosure to house an 8 inch speaker.

Honestly, Fender should consider re-releasing the Greta based on tinsandwich's design.

-Scotty

P.S. Sorry about the watches. It's more of a sickness than a hobby...

11. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I've got a goofy fantasy that if I was ever blessed with fender's endorsmemt I'd put pressure on them to re-release the greta or produce a signature varient for me.

Maybe an added clean switch/switchable tone stack (for varieties sake) available in sunburst/classic red and gold/some other color combo.

Signature squier classic vibe and greta combo bundle availble too! Lol

JustABluesGuy and DocScotter like this.
  12. tinsandwich

tinsandwich TDPRI Member

[QUOTE=" I'm tempted to give the Greta the tinsandwich treatment by giving it a larger enclosure to house an 8 inch speaker.

Honestly, Fender should consider re-releasing the Greta based on tinsandwich's design.

Hey thanks for the endorsement - I'm prepared to draw it up for Fender at a reasonable price!!
    I know the 4"upgrade is the easiest thing but as you found out the oval 6x8"takes it to a whole other level that will never be obtained by a 4"speaker. Better than the 10", 12"and 15"alnico speakers I have tried it with also.

DocScotter likes this.
  13. marklester

marklester TDPRI Member

Hey all,

It’s been a few years. Lovely to see others have tried the visatron speaker I found fitted some time ago.

As with everything, time passed and it gathered dust or a new amp took pride of place. In the end I returned to stock and sold it (2015 I think)

I was walking past my favourite guitar shop and decided to have a look what was new as searching for a small tube amp in my new bigger house. Something I could crank a bit more without neighbours moaning, but not small gig loud. There, in all it’s glory was a greta. I missed it first time browsing the shop.

Someone had changed the speaker for a car speaker with a tweeter!?! And 4 ohms at that! Baffled. No grill either :(. After a bit of negotiation I bought the amp at what I consider to be rather cheap!

On my way home, I went to my lock up and rummaged round. Found my box of old amp stuff and there was the visatron speaker! When stripping the amp turns out they have a early breakup ax7 in the preamp and a 12au7 in the power section. It sounds good! Great through external cab and great through the visatron speaker (be it slightly lower volumes or you introduce a fizz that’s not pleasant!).

So, I’m satisfied and really chuffed I found one again!! (Owned this amp 3 times now!). My only gripe is I feel at the moment I really want the original speaker just to satisfy my ears that I was right in the first place about the poor little speaker.

Have any of you that have upgraded, or rehoused your Greta, consider selling your little internal speaker??

Let me know and lovely to still see this thread alive and kicking still!
    Speak soon
    Mark
    2F659837-4327-4C8A-9E5E-6B8191924394.jpeg

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  14. tinsandwich

tinsandwich TDPRI Member

You can have mine for nothing but I'm across the other side of the world. That little speaker is nothing fancy though... Got to be an electronics store with something similar.It'd be in the cheaper line rather than anything car or hifi.

15. marklester

marklester TDPRI Member

Hey,

Ahh, thanks anyway for the offer. The only thing (from memory) that the stock speaker has that others don’t have is the smoother sounding distortion (probably down to the lack of frequency response!) but from clean into dirty it’s fluid sounding. The visatron I love, and for quiet volumes, playing the phone through as well, it’s pretty good. But crank the volume up a bit and when the speaker starts to distort it’s not that friendly sounding :(

On another note, I realised the Greta is great for jamming along to your hifi! Got the volumes matched and it sounded almost part of the song, really good!!

I’ll post any success stories to cheap 4” speakers I find!!

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  16. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Tele-Meister

Do you know that the Greta has an effects loop? Run out of the Line Out, thru whatever, then back into the Aux In!

--Jay

17. woolfie

woolfie TDPRI Member

8637D04E-BEDC-4DE6-A2B3-EE516158CED3.jpg

con brio and horax like this.
  18. radiocaster

I like to use it for bass because it sounds good. I was going to use it for practice with someone else and a drum machine, but I noticed it distorts with the volume in the middle. I always use a bass cab with bass.

It sounds great and clean at 9 or 10 o'clock though, I'll probably use it for recording at some point, possibly with the output.

19. radiocaster

What's with the automatic double posting? The forum trying to catch up from being down??

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  20. woolfie

woolfie TDPRI Member

I have just had a concert in front of 2500 people, using two gretas with cabinets. I miked them with SM57, and turned the volume up not too much, just to get to the edge of saturation. I used the line out to connect the vaporizer amp, just for me as a monitor, as with full band, I felt I should get some more volume just for myself on stage. This worked, as in the line out mode, the sound is still on the greta. In the end, the sound was B Between the tele and greta, there was my pedalboard with stereo delay, reverb and some transparent overdrives like the EM drive, Timmy, les lius, Odie and peacekeeper, just to play around the edge of overdrive

jaycoyoyo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.