1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Greetings!

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by darren7, Jul 31, 2009.

1. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

I first heard about TDPRI with your $100 telecaster build challenge... i was really impressed with the results of that, and thought it looked like a LOT of fun. So much so that it inspired me to kick off a "Home Depot build challenge" on sevenstring.org, a site i frequent fairly regularly.

As you might guess, i play primarily seven-string guitars. I love the extended range, and the wider necks feel really comfortable in my hands. I've only recently become interested in Telecasters... my brother's wife bought him a really nice Mexican Tele a few years ago and that started the ball rolling.

Last year, i worked with Rondo Music to design a seven-string Tele-style guitar called the T-7 Texan. After working on the specs for a few months, they produced a short run of them in their Korean factory. We tried to get fairly close to "modern vintage" spec, but obviously had to design new pickups and a proper bridge for it. I'm not sure how it would stack up against a "true" Tele, but it's definitely scratched my Tele itch. :)

I just installed a Fender 4-way switch yesterday, and i'm loving it. I'm mostly a humbucker guy, so i'm surprised i'm liking the T-7 as much as i am. Having the series switching option now gives me that beefy tone i need sometimes.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    (click the thumbnails for a full gallery)

My rig consists of a fairly simple yet complicated setup running a Boss GT-6, modified Tube Screamer and an ISP Decimator through a Mesa/Boogie F-30 head and two Thiele cabs. I also just bought a Blackstar HT-5 head and two Blackstar cabs for practicing at home and for recording.

2. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

Welcome darren7!!
    Great to have you here.
    That is really cool! A 7 string tele?! Whod'a thunk?
    Sure looks nice. Rondo music, huh? We have some members that love the SX guitars.

Is this tele available right now?

3. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

Given how often baritone-tuned guitars show up in country music, i figured a 7-string Tele-style guitar might give players the best of both worlds... standard tuning plus an extra low string for that bottom-end twang.

Also, most 7-string guitars on the market seem to be aimed at the metal crowd (with a few exceptions) and i thought jazz, blues and country players might like to experiment with extended range tunings without looking like they dropped out of an alien ship from the late '80s. ;)

The T-7 Texan was only produced in a short run, and it didn't sell out completely. It looks like there are two natural ones left.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product2391.html

I'm really enjoying it, and i've been using it a lot more than i imagined i would. I'm already thinking of modding it with GraphTech piezos.

4. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

That is a great idea. I totally agree this would allow a lot of Country/Jazz/Blues players some flexibility.

You may have done this already ( I haven't seen all of your posts).
    But this really should it's own topic in the "Main Telecaster Discussion" Forum.
    I'll bet you get over a 100 posts on the topic of this guitar alone!!
    I know a few members here would love this idea, and especially selling through Rondo, will probably start a firestorm here at TDPRI.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.