Greetings! New here and in need of your thoughts and tips!

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by KrenarCilku, Aug 12, 2020.

1. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku TDPRI Member

Hello everyone!

First, I want to say that I'm enjoying all the posts here, takes a good chunk of my free time!

I am aspiring to grow a following on youtube as I really enjoy making videos and playing guitar.

Until now, I have posted 37 videos on my channel and all of them have been strictly playing videos. example

I really want to dive into this and start TALKING in my videos about various topics such as affordable gear, playing, improvising and music in general..

Do you guys have any tips that you feel it's valuable to share with me? for example, I feel like I'm not really comfortable talking to a camera, is there something that will make that a tad easier for me? or the video and audio quality, do you think I should invest in something better?

Literally any feedback would be really really really appreciated!

I thank you for your time and support!

Cheers!

2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

-Invest in a decent camera and some editing software.
    -Maybe a simple lighting rig if you really want to go all in.
    -Edit so that there isn’t a lot of space or pauses between your thoughts.
    -Shoot for at least ten minute videos, I believe that’s the point where you can put two ads on your video.
    -Upload often, once a week is probably a good place to start.

Most importantly, be yourself and talk about things that interest you. Be genuine. Chasing YouTube success is fleeting. Many many many more people follow all those steps and work really hard with many hours put in with very little to show for it, either with subscribers, views, and certainly monetarily. Lots of people doing this kind of stuff these days, getting a viral video or a big following seems as much luck as anything else. Just be you.

3. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku TDPRI Member

Thank you for your feedback, I'm honestly doing this just because I really enjoy it and I want to be an active member of the guitar community, at first, I want to build a community where people can share what they want to share and if that brings me some income, I would gladly accept it, if it doesn't, I'll still continue doing it.. it's something that has really opened up my mind! , to put it in short words, I love guitar, that's it lol

FenderLover, Buell and naveed211 like this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Perfect attitude to have. If it’s fun and you love doing it, that will be its own reward, and anything more will be frosting on the cake.

Buell and KrenarCilku like this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Welcome. Have fun with the videos - I can't help you there.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  6. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku TDPRI Member

Thanks for the greet! Cheers!

7. Swytch

Swytch TDPRI Member

The youtubers I like are the ones that feel natural. Don't try to play a role, it will show up in the camera. Find your own style, talk about what you like (and don't like)...

And I guess that just like almost anything, you should just try things out: it's the only way to find your style. And watch what others do (Paul Davids, Rhett Shull, Rick Beato, Michael Palmisano, Tyler from Music is Win, Marty Schwartz... There's dozens !) to get some ideas.

Other than that, I'd say it boils down to being natural, and having decent quality material, i.e. sound and image. No need to invest 10 grands for that tho ! The Shure SM57 and 58 are industry legends, and a standard for about €100. Regarding cameras, yours seems decent enough, but you may want to get some lighting gear and tweak the colour a little bit (shift the white balance, for instance).

If I had to chose what to do first : microphone > light > camera.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  8. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

And that was some nice playing and good tone in that video you posted, by the way.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  9. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku TDPRI Member

Thank you for the reply, that is the exact list of youtubers that I watch lol, I get heaps of inspiration from them. Cheers!

Swytch likes this.
  10. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku TDPRI Member

Thanks buddy, highly appreciated!

11. Buell

Buell Tele-Meister

That's exactly how I feel about my audio recordings. I'm at the point where I'm doing this for myself, having fun with it, and anything else that happens after that is a bonus. Example: I actually made money on my first solo CD, so that was an unexpected bonus. Whether or not that happens in the future, I don't know and really don't care. Who knows, maybe I'll be the Edgar Allen Poe of music and my stuff takes off after I'm gone...haha.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  12. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Hello and welcome! I liked your video...and wish I played as well.

There is already good advice here...so, I'll concentrate on what I like in constructive/instructive videos:

--be yourself and talk to the camera as if it were me or a friend in the room.
    --avoid background distractions...when I look at guitar/gear videos, I prefer either blank walls or guitars/gear in the background...not last week's pizza, 11 cats and a litter box, a pile of dirty laundry, etc.
    --be honest about the gear (cruel yet fair)...I think this is tough, especially when you reach a point where folks send you gear to evaluate...develop your own code/tippers for whether you really like it or not. For instance, one fellow I look at regularly before pedal purchases heaps praise and adds the pedal to his board if he thinks it is a good one, and the demos are lengthy---if he is unimpressed, he merely lists what the pedal does and the demo portion is quite short.
    --what you wear...if wearing a printed/logo shirt...make sure it is really something you like/are in favor of, and if you are so inclined, consider the audience you wish to hold.
    --assuming a broad audience, maintain your language/word choice in the common vernacular...avoid "hip" or slang words that may not be well known or have a common meaning.

Keep smiling.

Rocky058 and KrenarCilku like this.
  13. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku TDPRI Member

Great tips right there! I'll make sure to write these down! I really appreciate the kind words and your time! Cheers buddy!

stormsedge likes this.
  14. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum !!

KrenarCilku likes this.
  15. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Determine what you want to talk about and stick with it. Are you an artist? A gear reviewer? Something else? Try to find an angle that will get hits and think about your video titles. You want them to be "click bait" without being blatent exaggeration. Consider your target audience and how best to reach them. Figure out what sets you apart. Get an appropriate channel name.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  16. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

First clip I've seen of that HB DC Jnr that I've liked the tone, great playing too!

KrenarCilku likes this.
  17. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku TDPRI Member

Thanks buddy! I really appreciate that!

Cheers!

richiek65 likes this.
  18. hepular

hepular Tele-Meister

hopefully yer not as much of a self-destructive jerk as was Poe. he was successful enuf during his life, and woulda had more $$$ and opportunities if he'd had the ability to avoid fights with everyone in a position to help his career.

Buell and KrenarCilku like this.
  19. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Holic

Welcome! I really enjoyed listening to your video!

Suggestions:
    1. Camera angle - it's awkward looking up at you. Shoot from slightly above level.
    2. Talking on camera - record yourself, watch it. Note what you did well and what you didn't. Do this over and over again. Don't use cue cards verbatim, it will look unnatural, but do put a few index cards where you can see them off camera with basic ideas and talking points that you wanted to cover. This way, you won't forget what you wanted to say and stutter a bunch, but you'll come off natural. Practice, over and over again until you feel decent about the results. We are our own worst critic, so if you think it was decent, it was probably really darn good. Have fun!

KrenarCilku likes this.
  20. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku TDPRI Member

Thank you for taking your time to respond!

I highly appreciate that! I'll give it a shot, I'll do a video, give it my best and I'll post it up here and hope to get some more feedback. Cheers buddy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.