Greetings from Glasgow, Scotland

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by UlricvonCatalyst, Jun 21, 2020.

1. UlricvonCatalyst

UlricvonCatalyst TDPRI Member

Hi again, and thanks to one and all for the warm welcome.

As a couple of people noted the picture is of Syd Barrett, taken by the equally legendary Mick Rock. It's a few years since I looked anywhere near that good, but I'm flattered that anyone could think it was of me.

I was under the impression that Syd's double-bound Tele was a 'Custom' (pre-humbucker, obviously), rather than a DeLuxe as someone said. Wasn't the DeLuxe the one with twin wide-range humbuckers and 4 knobs that wasn't a Thinline? I kind of hope I'm wrong and someone will set me straight as I'm here to learn! I think I read that the guitars in question - with maple boards - were made between '68 and '71, but maybe I dreamt that. Anyway, mine is a MIJ '62 Reissue Telecaster Custom from 1994 or 1995.

It's a characteristically overcast midsummer here in Glasgow, so not the best light or conditions for photography, but here are a couple of snaps I took before sending the Tele off to quarantine (I'm reluctant to douse it in alcohol or bleach, so I've opted to set it aside in its new case for the week or so it should take for the lurgy to die on hard surfaces instead). Luckily I have plenty of other guitars to play while this one's self-isolating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone who was here at the start of this thread will see it has some way to go to realise the dream of replicating Syd's Madcap Tele. If that wasn't my express aim in buying it I could happily live with it as is....almost - those black tuners are too much as far as I'm concerned, and would have to go regardless. Apparently this one has been upgraded with CTS pots and Fender Custom Shop pickups. Certainly sounded great when I gave it a trial run earlier.

Shouldn't be too hard to switch round the few elements required - just a neck swap, white guard and brass bridge barrels and it's done. I actually bought a bridge with brass barrels not so long ago, but can't for the life of me remember where I put it; I will have to intensify the search over the next few days.

I've got what I refer to as a 'Serviceman's Tele', whose maple neck could be sacrificed for the cause. It's a great-playing neck, but not the real deal (as far as I'm aware), and I'm not terribly keen on putting fake branding on headstocks, so I might just leave that where it is and try to find a genuine Fender one, ideally Japanese, like the rest of the guitar. Maybe I could adapt the other one into a mirrored Esquire. :)

I think F-style tuners would be period-correct for Syd's Tele, so I'll be lining up a snipe on a set of those pretty soon, though Klusons would do equally well. For now I'll keep it as it is, and enjoy my first real Telecaster. I'm reasonable content for the metamorphosis to be a gradual process, but I may as well gather all the parts I need and do it all in one go.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    neilybob100 and black_doug like this.
  2. UlricvonCatalyst

You sure know Glaswegians well!

3. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

Only went there a few times myself TBH, either because I was working too much or because I didn't need to. Lots of old pals from there though.

"Edinburgh for sightseeing, Glasgow for shopping" is what Aberdonians used to tell me, and TBH it's what I say to Americans who ask me as well (apart from "give Aberdeen a miss").

Great city, great people.

Oh. Nearly forgot. Nice Tele too!

neilybob100 and UlricvonCatalyst like this.
  4. UlricvonCatalyst

I spent a few summers in Kinloss as a kid - my brother was a teacher in Forres. Beautiful part of the world....if you haven't seen Wester Ross and Skye yet. But I often dream of the cottage he lived in, set in its own ground with a dedicated music room, and affordable on a teacher's salary. I wonder what the rent's like nowadays, hmmm....

As for Tennent's lager: never touch the stuff! (That's both a statement and a word of advice.) Highland Park for me every time. Unless it's breakfast-time, then it's a Bloody Mary. :)

68Telebass and Old Deaf Roadie like this.
  5. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Glad you're here!

My roots are in Scotland, MacRae clan from Inverness. I've never been to your country but I hope to visit next year.

6. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Welcome.

I like Glasgow. Visited the Byres road area which was great for restaurants and evening life.

Shame I live so far away (about a 7-8hour drive).

How is it that all of the nice guitars on Evilbay always seems to be in Glasgow.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

7. UlricvonCatalyst

Funnily enough one of my aforementioned brother's middle names is MacRae, and I'm not sure why, but I guess there must be some family connection there.

You know, I'm pretty sure today was the first time I was ever able to do the cash on collection thing for an eBay guitar. Had plenty off Gumtree and, before that, newspaper classifieds, of course. Living in a metropolis has some upsides, I suppose.

black_doug likes this.
  8. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Welcome to the forum. Visited Glasgow on a trip to Edinburgh for The Gathering Of The Clans a way back. Nice city.

9. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Tele-Meister

Hi mate.
    thumbsup.png

10. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

ahhh- you are correct!! The Tele “Custom” and I believe I’m wrong about the origin as well- he may have traded in that white 64-65 Tele he had (you can see him with it on the “American Bandstand” Apples and Oranges video)...the mirrored Esquire was left outside in the rain one day, and shiny bits got all oxidized..not sure where that one ended up...
    Thanks for setting me straight(er)!
    Carl :rolleyes:

11. UlricvonCatalyst

Hi Carl,

At the risk of being pedantic, according to this exhaustive overview, the white Tele was still around after Syd was ousted from his band, and the mirrored Esquire was traded-in against my coveted Custom. Not sure where the source got his information from, though.

In one of several books I've read about Syd there's an anecdote from the concierge at Chelsea Cloisters (where Syd lived in the mid-'70s) about Barrett giving him "expensive Fenders, Telecasters" among other bits and pieces; can't remember exactly, but I'm 99% sure the guy used the plural, suggesting Syd had a few guitars (and, sadly, was no longer interested in them).

To me, the most interesting sentence in the link above is "Fender didn’t produce maple neck Telecasters until late sixties, so the guitar couldn’t have been made before 1968." I wonder if anyone here knows how long these guitars were part of Fender's line-up and/or has some better pictures of one than Mick Rock's, where the guitar is more of a bit-part player.

As far as I've been able to glean, Fender changed the spec of the Custom Tele in 1972 (I think), putting a WRHB in the neck position, so these would have only been around for four years if the link author has the start date and I have the end date correct.

68Telebass likes this.
  12. UlricvonCatalyst

Actually, google is my friend (allegedly), as a quick search for "1968 Fender Telecaster Custom" throws up some intersting pictures, eye-watering prices, and the debatable suggestion that black was a custom colour, hence ultra-rare. I wonder if anyone here knows the truth on that score.

13. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

According to The Fender Telecaster by A.R. Duchossoir, the first generation of the Custom models with a bound body was offered exclusively with the sunburst finish, but a specific custom colors, including black, were available for an extra charge. The book states that until 1969, Fender offered 14 custom finishes in addition to sunburst and blonde.

14. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

Welcome. I'm just down the road in Ayrshire. Heading along to Glasgow in a couple of weeks for a long overdue GuitarGuitar fix to satisfy my GAS, or to be more precise my A(amp)AS.

15. UlricvonCatalyst

Great, thanks for clearing that up. I spent an hour or so 'researching' these guitars earlier, and they seem to be all over the place in terms of headstock decals, and maybe some other things I missed. That's the CBS years for you, I guess.
    Thanks. Prior to lockdown I was spending a lot of time in East Ayrshire, in my pal's studio.

Yes, there are a lot of people champing at the bit to get back to the shops. I tend to buy second-hand as much as possible, but I managed to get into GuitarGuitar just in the nick of time - the eve of lockdown - to pick up an audio interface which allowed me to pick up a stalled recording project.

Looking for anything specific, amp-wise?

16. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 TDPRI Member

Hello fellow Glasweigan.

17. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Hi, let me know if you decide to part with the neck, I'm just up the M80 a few miles north of you.

18. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

Well I started off wanting a Roland Blues Cube Hot but I've decided just to go all out and get a tube amp with a bult in attenuator. Fancy trying out the Tone King Gremlin. I've also had a look at Cornell's Romany amps but I haven't looked to see if anyone local stocks them yet.

19. UlricvonCatalyst

Hello fellow Graham Coxon fan.

No plans to part with the neck - it could come in handy for my mirrored Esquire project. There'll be other necks, don't worry.

20. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Howdy from Fort Worth, Texas!
    Can’t wait to see your new baby...

UlricvonCatalyst likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.