1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Greetings From a Returning Bassist Who is Adding Guitar

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Jeremy Crockett, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett NEW MEMBER!

Howdy, all!

First, I want to say how happy I am to find this forum. Quality, community music sites seem to be few and far between and I am looking forward to reading the information here.

Here is the short version of "my story".

Back in the late 80s, I picked up a bass for the first time. I was (comparatively) older than most when starting to learn an instrument. I was blessed to have a "paid gig" while I was learning but never progressed much beyond a couple of garage bands and one steady Jazz outfit that meagerly supplemented my regular job. All-in-all a reasonable hobby level of musicianship at best.

Time and life being as they are, I eventually stopped playing in the late 90s and focused on my family and my work, eventually selling all my equipment.

Fast forward to this past August where a promotion at work put me in a position to start buying gear again and affording me some time to take up playing bass for the first time in over 10 years.

My intent in playing bass again was just that, to play bass again. I did not have ANY ideas about picking up the guitar as well. I had one Epi Les Paul around 2002 that I fiddled on, but that was pretty much it.

Then I made the mistake of walking into a Guitar Center. There I was bitten by the hollow body bug. Players like Chet Atkins, Joe Pass, and the like; have found a new appeal to me. That combined with my "discovery" of zZounds opened a veritable Pandor's Box for things of a six-string nature. Thanks to no-interest payments, I am now in possession of an Epiphone Emperor Swingster and a Fender Blues Deluxe RI amp.

"Yes, yes; enough yammering -- where (then) is the Telecaster part"? Some might ask.

Well, during the past four months, I began listening, really listening to the sound and tonal qualities of the higher end. And a few YouTube videos later, I found the Telecaster "tone" was the other distinct sound that I have always loved, but did not realize.

It is difficult to justify to one's wife, the purchase of two basses, a guitar, and two amplifiers in such a short period of time. And I had a terrible itch that required scratching. The solution came from (surprisingly enough) my local Guitar Center. Here they had the entry-level Squier Limited Edition Bullet Telecaster in Lake Placid Blue (although it's rather sparkly for LPB).

The frets were in dire need of polishing, I adjusted the bridge saddles, put a set of 11s on her and she sounds great considering it's an entry-level build. The neck is smooth, with no fret sprout whatsoever.
    Tele11s02.jpg TeleBody01.jpg TeleFullFront01.jpg TeleHeadstock03.jpg

Anyway, for less than $200 I scratched the itch and here I am.

Sorry, this was much longer than I had intended. Thanks for bearing with me.

2. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome to TDPRI :)

Jeremy Crockett likes this.
  3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Welcome. Nice tele.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome aboard.

I like your avatar.

I owned a '77 Sting Ray for a number of decades. It was made in the second six months of production, back when Leo was there. I'm pretty sure it was Carl Radle's actual bass based upon when/where I bought it.

p.s. Wow, heavy strings on that Tele. How do you like them?

5. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Welcome from Albuquerque New Mexico:D

6. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Welcome from Albuquerque New Mexico:D

7. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

Welcome, I come from a similar background, longtime bass player that’s switched to mainly guitar as I’ve gotten older.
    If you just discovered ZZ sounds be careful of the Reverb rabbit hole, biggest selection on earth with individual sellers that will often negotiate prices. I’m constantly finding great new stuff at prices I have a hard time saying no to. The internet has really changed the game.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy!
    I’m another guitar/bass player.
    Welcome to this cool place!

9. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold!

Sb

10. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Pull up a chair and enjoy the parade. . . :cool:
    A bud snapped up one of the modestly priced Squiers, like yours and found it very playable.
    You'll find many of us who enjoy both bass and guitar.
    Welcome - Deeve

11. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett NEW MEMBER!

Thank you. I, one day, hope to have a "real" Stingray.

I am very happy with the 11s.

12. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Welcome aboard!!

Amazing value from those Bullet Teles!! Nice choice!!

13. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Very nice! Welcome.

14. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Meister

Very nice. Welcome.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.