Greetings & first build of anything!

Huck73

TDPRI Member
Howdy folks! Just like to start off by saying I'm a sub-mediocre guitar player and even less of a woodworker, but I won't let that stop me from "assembling" my first Tele! Always been a Strat guy. Tried a LP for a bit, but my left hand never quite meshed with the neck. When I was younger, I never found the Telecaster to be a very attractive guitar, but now amidst my fifth decade, I've grown to appreciate it for the simple, raw, bad-ass hunk of wood that it is. I've still yet to have an opportunity to play one (which is probably good as I won't know how poorly my homemade mess compares!)

Anyhow, I've got a little time off and decided to throw something together and see how it goes. When it's all said and done, I'll probably have been able to pick up a much better guitar off the shelf for what this will end up costing, but where's the fun in that? I've been kicking around these forums for a little while now and appreciate the wealth of knowledge you've all created over the years.

I'm starting off with a body from Woodtech Routing in Ohio. 2pc catalpa (I liked the grain!) A wipe on Wudtone finish because I know myself better than to try and spray anything! I've also ordered a Fender MIM roasted maple neck. Not a huge fan of the really dark ones, so I'm hoping this one shows up with more of a "medium roast." Also on order, a black, 1-ply Fender Pure Vintage pickguard.

Stay tuned, I'm sure to royally screw this up!

IMG-1552.jpg

J. Bonkosky

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
You will be fine. Just take you time and search the threads here for and questions that pop up. Tdpri has some really bad ass builders that have put out some really helpful threads. You are in good hands. Good luck and have fun!

Huck73

TDPRI Member
Nice. What pickups do you plan on using? What bridge? We need details.
Originally, I was thinking of a Callaham Vinatge T Model bridge, but now that I've started spending actual money, I find myself looking to shave off a few bucks here and there just to keep the total cost of the build within reason. I've placed an order for a Gotoh BS-TC1 bridge and at the risk of being a poser, I opted for the "aged" version. I don't necessarily need it to look old or road-worn, I'm just really uninterested in shiny new chrome looking hardware. Unless the Gotoh shows up looking ridiculous, I'll most likely be looking to find similarly aged tuners and controls.
s-l500.jpg

For pickups, I was thinking the Fender Original Vintage Tele pickups would be a safe bet. A used set of Pure Vintage '64's on eBay also caught my eye. Haven't made any decisions yet, so I'll be checking out some reviews, videos, audio, etc. Happy to entertain suggestions as well!

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
Don't apologize for liking aged/relic hardware. I like it too. Your guitar is for you, not the jerk next to you who can't keep his opinions to himself.

I like aged finishes because it negates the ridiculous tendency I have with new shiny things to baby them instead of using them like the tools they're designed to be.

Huck73

TDPRI Member
Very cool. I have no problem with the aged look either, as long as it's consistent. As for pickups, I'm really happy with the Cavaliers Lion King/Fat Lion King set in mine. Rob is a member here, and has a great reputation. https://www.cavalierpickups.com/ be sure to check the soundbites section for great demos

Hey those Cavaliers sound pretty great! Thanks for that! I really like the idea of using pickups made by a person rather than a factory. He's got quite a few to choose from too. Ahh decisions...

Pickguard arrived and first coat of finish applied. The color is called Goldenrod from Wudtone and the pic is a pretty accurate representation of what it looks like in reality.

IMG-1558.jpg