1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Greer lightspeed.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by uriah1, Oct 7, 2019.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these. Seeing more of these pop on pro boards. Any users here. Curious.

Rumblur likes this.
  2. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

I had one as my main drive sound on my touring board for the past 3 or so years. I loved it. It stacks well with other drives and sounded good on whatever backlined amps I used. I'd boost it with a King of Tone, EP Booster, or whatever Klon clone I was using at that time. The only reason I don't have it anymore is that it was replaced by the Benson Preamp which I felt had a more amp like breakup sound.

igor5, OlRedNeckHippy and uriah1 like this.
  3. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Barber Gain Changer, any variant, into a Red Llama...lots of different pedal sounds available.

YMMV

kevsonic and Visual Guy like this.
  4. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

I was an early Greer user, around 2007/2008. Maybe his work is more reliable now. But back then, well, there were often problems. And when there were, it was hard to get them taken care of.

igor5 and uriah1 like this.
  5. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

I have a Vibrolux Reverb that after some serious tone shaping, is the best sounding thing I've ever heard in my life. But, I can't get away with the volume on 7 so I need a pedal to replicate that at 3. After trying a lot of pedals, I drank the Kool-Aid and bought a Lightspeed... supposedly the most transparent OD out there. Well guess what..

It ain't transparent.
    And yet it is.

It masks some of the tone and adds other things, fundamentally changing the sound of my amp which is what I did NOT want. The Lightspeed probably sounds great in a band mix, I just don't do that anymore. IF you can handle what it brings to the tone, it does sound organic and better than anything Boss or Dunlop.

Depending on the day, the Lightspeed is for sale, and then it's not. What I really want is a Jan Ray. I hear that's the real king of Fender on 7 tone. I sit and look at that thing and think.... man that's $200 sitting there and I don't LOVE it. I want to, I just don't. And then 2 days later I like it again.

emisilly and uriah1 like this.
  6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I tried the Jan Ray for half an hour in good conditions. Honestly it was really good, but I do not think it’s worth its price. I’ve had other cheaper pedals that did the trick as well, like my Hudson Broadcast for instance.

igor5 and Rumblur like this.
  7. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

That's me. Haven't tried it but I'm just not spending $300+ on one pedal for 5% better tone.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I thought there was a new CD from David...but then I remembered he spells his last name with an "ie".

9. uriah1

Tks all, great to hear actual users.
    So, now I am back to a hmm.

10. uriah1

I was looking at their Tomahawk too, and an old fashioned treb boost.
    I may go back to drawing board, but, still thinking.
    tkx

11. Visual Guy

Visual Guy TDPRI Member

Lightspeed is amazing. Usable with tons of stacking opportunity. Hard to make it sound bad.

Barber Gain Changer (normal and SR) & Benson Preamp are two others that are fantastic in this realm.

Have fun!

uriah1 likes this.
  12. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I had a Lightspeed for a while and enjoyed it at home. I liked the soft clipping and slight compression, but with the band it didn’t work well for me. Not enough mids and a little too much sparkle in the high end. Rolling back the ‘frequency’ control smoothed it out, but then it was too dark. If it had bass and treble controls, or 3 band eq, I would probably still have it.

I’ve since given up on the idea of a low gain OD. Lately I set my amp for subtle break-up and just roll back the guitar volume for clean, so I can’t really recommend an alternative.

It is a great sounding pedal, just didn’t work for me.

igor5 likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I see them up for sale around here often. No surprise, given their location and mine (look on the Athens, GA GC used gear page). I tried one out at GC a while back. I thought it sounded pretty good but not $200 good to my cheapskate ears.

14. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

You may want to try a Timmy then, since that's what the Jan Ray mostly copies.

15. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

I had a Timmy years ago, didn't care for it. I'm aware the JR is a copy of the Timmy but they changed some values and made it Blackface friendly. The Timmy really is a Marshall/Tweed voiced pedal.

igor5 likes this.
  16. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

The only (minor) difference with the Jan Ray is that it has more bass at its equivalent of "minimum bass cut," but everything else is basically the same. Probably what accounts for those differences via impressions between the two is where the knobs end up being set to get all else equal sounds.

The JR certainly doesn't add more mids vs. a Timmy, which is typically what drive boxes for BF/SF amps usually have tailored towards them. The JR has the same bass cut and treble cut controls - there's no add'l filtering or tone shaping.

17. highwayjones

highwayjones TDPRI Member

I find the Lightspeed to be more of an "always on" pedal than using it as a solo boost, etc. I like it best with single coils, especially a Tele, as it retains the high end single coil character while keeping things thick on the low end. As mentioned before, it stacks quite well.

uriah1 likes this.
  18. uriah1

PIcked one up. It is rather cool.
    Give you more usable gain in the transparent range

19. tho618

tho618 TDPRI Member

I’m currently in a shootout between the Gain Changer SR, Lightspeed and 4 knob Spark Booster. The Spark Booster just kills it w the most realistic overdriven amp tone to my ears. Especially on the mids and fat settings.

I found the Gain Changer very fussy. Sounded best on the mids boost/low gain setting. The Lightspeed seems to bring more guts in the lows, mids and highs. A little harsh in the highs at times, but i was able to tame it w the frequency and tone on my Tele. I do love what it brings to the table, but not sure on the flexibility yet.

Spark wins for overall best tone and ease of dialing in my desired tone.

I’m going through a 69 Thinline w Fender OV pups and a 65 PRRI modded w a 12” Eminence Legend. My comments are obviously biased toward the experience w my rig. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve had my Lightspeed for almost 3 years. A pedal that I will never sell.

B6FCF4A4-5376-47EB-9276-73C832C71BC2.jpeg

tho618 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.