Greenbacks or Vintage 30's?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SaintSilas, Nov 1, 2017.

1. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

What do you prefer and in what set up? Any other speakers (Not Celestion) that you like better?

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Not celestion, odd for that greenback or V30 Brit sound. Clones are cool though
    Avatar has some, WGS and Weber, scumback 75s. Forgot the names of their models.
    I also think Fane if I recall. Actually I like the new chinese Celestions., but, that is me.

MilwMark and Jakedog like this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't mind the new celestions either. The new greenbacks are great sounding speakers.

For me, Greenback or V30 is an odd comparison because they're such different speakers. I love greenbacks but my first concern with them is always power handling. I don't really like low powered amps. 30 watts is kinda my minimum, so I usually need at least two of them. A V30 is a 60 watt speaker, so will work easily in a 1x12, but sounds totally different.

I know I'm harping on this thing all over the place, but I just discovered the WGS Invader. I'm sure people are getting sick of hearing about it... but it's a 50 watt 12" that is a LOT like a Greenback. I have one in my 30 watt Rivera 1x12 combo and it's made an amp I was "ok" with an amp I really like a lot.

WGS also makes standard Greenback (Green Beret) and V30 (Veteran) style speakers. I'm super happy with overall quality and sound. The biggest difference I can find between them and the actual celestions is that WGS is literally half the price.

uriah1 likes this.
  4. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

I love a Greenback with a dual EL84 amp, whether Marshall or home brewed. They just have a pleasing sound, and plenty of attitude. Just enough power handling to let the amp run flat out, too.

I've heard two amps with the V30. I had one in my HR Deluxe. Pretty ok pairing, just had a little too much midrange when the volume started to rise. Pretty loud, too. The other is my bandmate's rig. Mesa Solo Rec head on a Mesa 4x12 oversized slant with 4 V30s. That's a nice pairing, with the V30 giving it a nice aggressive cutting sound in a full band mix.

Dismalhead and Jakedog like this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Marshall Mini Jubilee with Greenback and I can't comment on a V30 in this amp, but the Greenback now broken in is fantastic. It does a good Plexi tone just with master and eqs up, a great hard-mids/lead tone and gonzo overdrive with this amp.

SaintSilas likes this.
  6. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

I don't know about Greenbacks, but I recently got a 2 x 12 V30 cab and teamed it up with my rebuilt Selmer T&B. It sounds exactly how I want it to sound, so I'm happy.

SelmerStack.jpg

SaintSilas likes this.
  7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love the current Celestions. At live levels they shine.

I can’t answer that question in a vacuum. Open or closed cab? Single or multiple speakers, and how many? What amp circuit?

If I had to chose one Celestion without knowing those factors - V-Type. Brilliant speaker.

8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

This. I picked one up used for $60 and it is a spectacular full-range speaker. I pair it with the Greenback in my AC15C1. Breaks up in a great way, and has sparkling clarity similar to an Eminence Legend. Since I picked it up it's usually the speaker I mic for recording. Surprised it doesn't have more fans, but I'd guess it's the name that's kinda off.

9. Perregrintuk

Perregrintuk TDPRI Member

I play a Cornell 18/20 Lexi (a boutique Marshall PA20) with 2x EL84s. It has a Celestion G12H 30 Anniversary in it, which is great. It supports that aggressive Marshall Plexi character but nicely balanced a also low gain pretty good.

Furthermore I tried the Celestion G12-35XC Pulsonic, also VERY good. More mids, but rounder and more organic. Better for bluesy and less heavy stuff...but I like the heavy stuff on Marshall...otherwise I use my Tweeds;-)

SaintSilas likes this.
  10. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

i've got a laney cub head (2xel84) into a 112 v30 - and it's damn near perfect. enough headroom for rehearsals and gigs and really beautiful, refined tones - would remind you of a vox.

i've also got a vht special 6 (1x6l6) into a 112 greenback clone - a mojotone bv. the greenback likes a lower output amp and this rig is like a champ on steroids.

when i hook them up together the v30 is noticeably louder - i'd say it's just that more versatile than a greenback.

SaintSilas likes this.
  11. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

There are two other, less popular speakers that have really impressed me; the Eminence Reignmaker and the Bad Cat proprietary speaker.

The Reignmaker is an excellent sounding speaker, and although the attention is generally focused on its FDM feature (that allows the sensitivity to be adjusted between 91 and 99), it simply sounds really good.

The Bad Cat proprietary is built on a Celestion Vintage 30 frame, but has a few twists that make it sound different - and IMO better than a V30 - although Bad Cat hasn't revealed what these twists are.

SaintSilas likes this.
  12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I like them both and they both have their place. I think the greenbacks a tad more vintagey grind
    and the V30 in your face rock mids..

SaintSilas likes this.
  13. The Grim Peeper

The Grim Peeper Tele-Meister

They're both great! But if I have one complaint about V30s is that they have a looser low end. Greenbacks are awesome but I really only prefer them in 412s due to their low power handling. An old English made Celestion G12-65 is a pretty awesome speaker. Kinda the best of all worlds.

14. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Am using a 12 inch Eminence Greenback clone in one cab - half the price of a greenback and doesn't have early breakup of a greenback. Is rated at approx 70 watts I believe really good speaker for what I do.

SaintSilas likes this.
  15. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

They are both great speakers, but it depends on what amp you'd be using them with. When it comes to Celestion I prefer their Alnico speakers.

SaintSilas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.