Greenback-like 10s?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JohnnyCrash, Jul 2, 2019.

1. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Celestion is also releasing a creamback 10

2. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I have been using a Marshall 4x10 cab with Celestion G10S-50 speakers from the early 80's for years. That cab just sounds great. I bet a pair of them would work for your application. The G10S-50 I am talking about probably has more in common with a G12-65 which is basically an upgraded G12-25. The G10S-50 has great cleans and overdrive. I wouldn't be surprised that the "Greenback" 10 is an updated version of the G10S-50:

G10S-50.jpg

3. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I've had Copperheads, and IMO, they are quite Jensen'ish sounding. I much prefer them for Fender cleans. They aren't bad for overdrive per se, but I wouldn't think of them as having toned-down trebles.

To my ear, the CH is crisper sounding than the Ragin Cajun.

Some folks have mentioned the WGS Green Beret (10"), which I have the 12" version of, and the 12 is kind of aggressive and bright in the higher frequencies. It's not bad at all (especially with a Marshall-type amp, and when paired with something with just a bit more firm bass), but if the GB 10 is similar to the GB 12, it may not be a good fit for your particular application.

Just with Eminence 10s alone, I've had the Ragin Cajun, the Ramrod, the Copperhead, and the GA10-SC64 (and some relabeled Legend 1058s). I've primarily had them in a '71 VR and a '67 SR. In those amps, the Copperhead and the GA10-SC64 (and Legend 1058) have that very familiar BF Fender sound, IMO. The Ragin Cajun was just "too much of everything" in the VR, and the Ramrod was equally loud, but with more defined upper mids.

...I kind of struggled with the SR, because I wanted BF cleans mixed with a bit more of a blues-rock vibe for most of the OD sounds. The Copperheads weren't harsh, but there was just a little too much emphasis in the trebles. They were certainly better than the Weber Sig 10S ceramics, which were very distorted and bright sounding (and it was the same experience in the VR). Long story short - to warm things up in the SR, I now have a Ramrod, a Ragin Cajun, a Celestion G10N-40, and a Weber California 10 ceramic. There's now a sweet top end for cleaner stuff, but when I push the amp or use pedals, the treble never dominates in an unpleasing way. And the amp can get stupid loud with that combo of speakers, if needed.

Everything was also just a touch trickier with the SR, because you can adjust the mids on that amp. And bringing up the mids will also make the amp overdrive past a certain point. I've got to believe that it's primarily the Ramrod and Celestion G10N-40 that are balancing with the Ragin Cajun and Weber C10 ceramic that allow for that.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    JohnnyCrash and uriah1 like this.
  4. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

WGS has several good options.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  5. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Yess indeed

The perfect 10; if higher power greenback is needed

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    JohnnyCrash likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The 10-50 are a lot warmer, the 10-70 are even warmer yet!

7. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

You might check out the Celestion Junior V-type. Sort of a cross between a GB and a V30. 50 watts, 95 dB, $59.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The best sounding closed back cab I ever had was a Marshall 1965B. It was loaded with the original Celestion G10-35 speakers. Maybe something to check into for an 800 type build.

I typically do not like 10” speakers for guitar, and I really dug that sound.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
  9. kellybluz

kellybluz Tele-Meister

Anyone familiar with these celestion speakers ?
    1277A9D6-921A-4849-A860-81059566767A.jpeg

10. kellybluz

kellybluz Tele-Meister

I have a 4 x 10 Marshall cab with two of these C10P-80’s and two G10L-35 ‘s

11. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

The Celestion Seventy/80 is G12P-80. Those look like G10P-80 to me. Probably a 10" Seventy/80

12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

It's most likely a Celestion G10N-40. That one seems to be most similar to the Seventy 80, but in a 10".

13. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

The Celestion G10 Vintage suggestion is excellent. Of course they're not going to sound like 12 in. Greenbacks -- why play 10s if you want 12s? -- but they are a o-compronise, excellet speaker. I love 10's and most of my amps are 10 inchers, so I've used a fair amount. There are so many options -- check Weber's lineup! -- that it really is a user-preference deal.For me, the higher-wattage V10s work beautifully when broken in, and mine broke in fast. I do not like Eminence 10s. Webers are also very good, but they need to be broken in before they hit their stride. Good luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.