Greenback G12M 20w vs. 25w

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Does anyone have any experience comparing the G12M UK-made 20w speaker and the Chinese-made 25w model?

I can’t find anything that compares them directly, and so far the only difference I see is 5 watts and $25.

I did find a video from a few years ago that compares a vintage Greenback, a modern UK one, and a WGS Green Beret, and the Green Beret was very close to the modern Greenback. Both had a focus on the upper mids compared to the vintage speaker and less bass, but seem close enough that EQ could take care of most of the differences.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I preferred the Chinese speaker to a vintage GB in a Deluxe Reverb when I tried them several years ago.
It may simply be that the GB in general is a little wimpy for a DR and the vintage one was probably well used. The Chinese one seemed to hold up better.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
I have no real life experience between them... but in this video I'd take the "meatier" sound of the vintage speaker any day. I guess the big question is, would you be able to find a "vintage" that actually sounds like that.... surely they have all broken in differently over the years.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Out of those 3, I’d take the vintage one too, but at $500+ for a vintage one, it’s not even under consideration for me.

KC

Friend of Leo's
I wish somebody would throw a Weber Silver Bell ceramic into the comparison. My impression is that it might be a bit closer to the 20-watt Greenback than the modern one is but I'm too lazy to turn all the screws to find out.

northernguitar

Friend of Leo's
I wish somebody would throw a Weber Silver Bell ceramic into the comparison. My impression is that it might be a bit closer to the 20-watt Greenback than the modern one is but I'm too lazy to turn all the screws to find out.
Nope. I just traded away a Silver Bell. Very woofy. On a mic, it sounded like a blanket over the cab.

cgharrison

TDPRI Member
For me,

Heritage: softer, sweeter, falls apart more when pushed, very quiet (low efficiency)

Standard: more presence, a bit of a harsh edge (but not unpleasant), holds together when pushed, louder, does much better in open backed cabs

I ended up sticking with the standard, which I gather is a common choice. The heritage is a gorgeous speaker, though - it just didn’t quite work for me in a louder band situation. It sort of disappeared like a fuzz pedal can.

Emiel

Tele-Meister
Celestion has moved production of the reissue back to the UK in 2017. Some say they sound different after that, but I don't know.

I recently bought a new UK reissue and actually preferred it to the G12M Heritage. They are not miles apart really. The Heritage gets quite smooth and soft sounding at higher volumes, a bit too much for me.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
You could also get those to sound like each other by changing the cab dimensions and construction.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
In the modern speakers there's both a Luton made and Chinese. The Vox branded are Chinese. The Celestion come both ways.

If you check the cone the GB I have now has a H1777 code, that's the Mueller cone that the good Celestion Blue comes with.
16381946463122469655341849275108.jpg

The Celestion cognoscenti say it doesn't matter where a Blue comes from if it has that cone.

I don't have a vintage one to compare but this speaker sounded great in a Vox AC15C1 I have. It is marked Vox International with a plastic back so I presume it's Chinese origin.

I had a GB in the Marshall Mini Jubilee was metal with 15 ohm and Luton on the back. It sounded similarly good.

AC15 now has a Blue with the same cone which sounds even awesomer by a small margin.