Green salsa is SOOO much better than Red salsa

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

The most important tacos of the day!!!!

Tim

ps- yep, green salsa for me!

2. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

+1 Salsa Verde

3. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

+2
    And I will add- the best Chile Verde I have ever had was in New Mexico. In fact the best & tastiest chiles are grown in NM! I want to go back again soon just for the Mexican food there. (The southwest region states have a bit of a rivalry there on who has the best chiles and sauces)

4. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

And I will add- the best Chile Verde I have ever had was in New Mexico. In fact the best & tastiest chiles are grown in NM! I want to go back again soon just for the Mexican food there. (The southwest region states have a bit of a rivalry there on who has the best chiles and sauces)

Agreed.

5. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

No rivalry - New Mexico has the best Green Chiles. Love those Hatch Green Chiles!

Now Arizona / Sonora Mexican vs. New Mexican food, that's another topic.

6. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

We've a HUGE Mexican population here in Southeastern PA, and plenty of choices for authentic Mexican food. I find that red/green salsa is like maple/rosewood board--it's down to the moment, but as someone that doesn't like tomato much, I gravitate towards greens.

Anyway, try this out sometimes. One of our favorite locals makes a concoction she calls Salsa Fresca. It tastes like Green salsa with an extra shot of cilantro, an extra squeeze of lime, and half an avacado, passed through a blender. Awesome.

7. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

After time spent in New Mexico, the red vs. green is everywhere. Thing about New Mexico red and green is they don't use any tomatoes or tomatillos, just chiles. I remember one place I used to go for breakfast would have what was hot that day, the green or the red, and I always loved green, but if the red was hotter I would do Christmas (mix of red & green).
    Right now I have almost 50 pounds of roasted New Mexico green chiles in my freezer and about 10 pounds of dried red chiles. So I'm almost set till next year.

8. toastyroadie

toastyroadie TDPRI Member

Our freezers full of freshly roasted Hatch green chile, roasted and peeled. Just found out a few years ago that the red and green are from the same pepper, the red is hung out to dry and then crushed into a powder. Great stuff for sure.

Never seen the green salsa in the original post, anyone got a link to a good recipe?

9. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I just find it interesting how a lot of people don't understand the difference between the words tasty and spicy(as in hot). Runs for cover Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

10. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Just put it in a tortilla and roll it up... breakfast taco, but refried beans would be better than pork n beans, loose fried country sausage instead of links, scrambled instead of sunny-side up, add some chilis to the tomatoes and lose the mushroom...

11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ooohhh, now your talkin'!! If you want to try a good store bought green, I would suggest Renfro's Green Salsa. Really good flavour and Tex-Mex hot!!!! Rumoured to also remove stains from driveways, repel sharks and strip paint from teles!!!! Made right here in lovely Ft Worth, Tx.

Attached Files:

12. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

i like smooth texture too. i put chunky salsa in the blender and puree it.

13. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

That post and pic reminded me of the scene below. Beans and blood pudding with bangers and ham?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhERIwUsSmA

14. puremania

puremania Tele-Holic

+1 for the Hatch hot greens. I'm not too picky about salsa, it just needs to fit the dish; but I DO prefer green chili to red chili. After having had it, my opinion is that while beans don't belong in chili, neither does beef. Green peppers and pork are the ONLY way to go! :D

15. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

16. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

October is chile time in NM. I've thought about roasting them and freezing them myself.

How did you put up those chiles?

I.e., roasted, uncut, shock cooled in ice water after roasting, vacuum sealed?

Do you have to be careful cooling them to avoid losing a lot of moisture and flavor?

17. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

I just roast & peel them, then put them in ziplock freezer bags. I have some in gallon bags, but mostly use the quart ziplocks. That way each week I put a bag in the fridge, to defrost, and use for the week.

18. toastyroadie

toastyroadie TDPRI Member

I roast ours and then put the chile in a bag for about an hour or two to let the steam lift off the skin to make it easier to peel. Once the time is up, we peel the chile while removing seeds and then put into small zip lock bags and freeze them for immediate use.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.