Greatest Van Halen Song

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I love how these are all punk-tinged songs. In the early 80s, hard rock and pop alike often tended to have a punk edge. and it was the coolest

Last edited:

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Big bad Bill
women and children first?
I like all of it until Sammy and that’s because of time. Classic VH is still entertaining. The Sammy stuff seems dated. I love Sammy but just don’t seem to listen to it.
Examples of great bands with terrible covers…

66BA9CB1-8B5C-4DAC-9A6B-A865B2C0F4E4.jpeg

C2C2C020-B94F-415B-A7EE-28B85527B7D6.jpeg

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Maybe it's just the nostalgia of the moment, but hearing my first VH song on the radio, " Running With the Devil" was a mind blower!
The song is an explosion, and Eddie's rhythm guitar is sparse, but grooves.
This one is my favorite.

I also love "Hot for Teacher" - the drum intro ( Alex emulating a drag racecar warning up) and Eddie's following intro, are just too good! Fun song.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The album covers certainly turned to crap with Sammy. I’m remembering that I saw VH on the For unlawful carnal knowledge tour with a new group called Alice In Chains that I love still. I was disapointed because they sounded like the record. Ed never varied from the album…that’s not why I went to see them. I wanted Ed to go nuts but he followed the album note for note. I just saw my hero and left disappointed. Alice was fantastic.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
“Unchained” from the era with the singing-challenged “entertainer” .

(Watch the Montreal video on YouTube - Dave is horrible/could care less)

The vocalists ? Gotta say they were unimportant to me.

It was all about Eddie - to me. Not a fan of Al’s drumming but Eddie loved it so what do I know ?

I don't know a lot about him, but I know he's produced some terrible radio hard rock crap. And now he's a youtuber. I haven't watched enough to find out he's smug in spite of these things.

I stopped watching because of all the whining.

Like some others here, I find Beato unwatchable, and his videos are kind of pointless. But I'll chip in with my favourite VH song, from my favourite VH album...

I have no problem with Beato except for his veiled boomer rants.

Older dudes complaining about what kids listen to (or about not listening to music at all) is tedious and has existed for centuries. Next !

Love the fact that someone brought up the source of his fame/whatever money he has (besides YouTube - which is a lot. Him and Marty Swartz EXPLODED during the pandemic.)

The crap nu-metal bands he worked with are/were so awful. But - money you make from crap still spends.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
I love how these are all punk-tinged songs. In the early 80s, hard rock and pop alike often tended to have a punk edge. and it was the coolest

Especially DOA! Kinda forgot about that one. Thanks for the reminder!

I am a bit surprised that nothing off Women and Children first has been mentioned.

Wish I hag a guitar handy. From listening after a long time, it sounds like two different whole step modulations. It's a fairly common occurrence in broadway show tunes, but not R&R.

Last edited:

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
If I had to choose one, it would be Mean Street
mean street really does have a lot going for it, that insane intro, and the short simple pre-lead bridge is one of my fave VH bits of all time (the one right HERE)

By far my favorite album of theirs. Everything comes together on that one, performance, production, and songs