Greatest riff you forgot about?

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
For a long time I thought that was Steve Miller.
You can't be the only one 😅 haven't heard that for probably 30+ years. The bridge section sounds a lot like someone else, too. But maybe I'm just looking for clues at the scene of the crime

Lynxtrap

Tele-Afflicted
I had this song on a mixtape in the 80's and really dug it. Then I forgot about it and never heard the song again, not even on radio.
A couple of years ago I came to think of it. Couldn't remember any words or the name of the artist, and the cassette was long gone.
The only thing I could recall was the riff/chord progression and fragments of the music video.
It took quite a bit of googling and research to find it.
Turned out I still liked the song.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
Never understood why this one doesn't get played more often than some of their other hits. This is their live version. If you want to skip them being 80s rock icons - but why would you?!!! - the riff starts at 52 seconds in.

Frank Roberts

Tele-Meister
Had to think long and hard to remember! Long, long ago this song was so popular that every band in town covered it (rarely correctly!).

mrfitz98

Tele-Meister
I can't remember ever listening to the whole lp track (noodly guitar...drum solo...) but it was certainly a killer riff.

thesamhill

Tele-Afflicted
Personal Jesus is fun. Drop D and slide for style points.

The recorded version is kind of anemic. The Johnny Cash version gets respect because effin A Johnny Cash. But if you get rolling on this with a cranked and driven amp and a drummer who's up for some thumpa thumps on the toms, its a blast.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
After more or less forgetting how to play it after a few decades woodshedding Open G Rolling Stones tunes, I spent some time this week working out the nuances and riff variations in the Get Yer Ya Yas Out version of "Midnight Rambler". Standard tuning, Capo 7, incredibly simple E-D-A blues forms... but the subtle details, tempo shifts and variations are a master class in how to inject groove and balls into riffs where your left hand doesn't move more than an inch and a half the whole time.

A wall of Ampegs cranked probably helps, but this effort was a very guilty pleasure for me.
Ampeg one of the great amps of the day that got lost in the shuffle. I moved mine down the road when those output tubes started getting scarce (7027? 7868? 7591? Memory fails me on this one). Had the V-4b a V-2(?) and a VT-40 iirc. Great tones in those buggers.