Greatest riff you forgot about?

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
This came on the radio in my car earlier today and it reminded me of two threads at these forums: the AOR thread and the greatest riffs thread.

I'm Going Home
was MASSIVE in it's day. This was the ballsiest thing most of us had ever heard played on a guitar.

For my money, the best version, the original, as far as I recall:

I'm surprised at myself for not recalling it immediately when scrolling the greatest riffs thread.

BlueTele

Tele-Meister
Well...since I am offering it, I guess I have not "forgot" about it, but...I was utterly amazed 40 years ago, and remain so today, with solos from Steeley Dan (Walter Becker and others). Songs like "Peg" and "Bodhisattva" for example...utterly "off-the-charts" skill, creativity, and artistry. The runs, changes, and precision were/are just staggering to me.

clayville

Tele-Meister
After more or less forgetting how to play it after a few decades woodshedding Open G Rolling Stones tunes, I spent some time this week working out the nuances and riff variations in the Get Yer Ya Yas Out version of "Midnight Rambler". Standard tuning, Capo 7, incredibly simple E-D-A blues forms... but the subtle details, tempo shifts and variations are a master class in how to inject groove and balls into riffs where your left hand doesn't move more than an inch and a half the whole time.

A wall of Ampegs cranked probably helps, but this effort was a very guilty pleasure for me.

BrazHog

Tele-Meister
Now that you mention it, Mingus' Blues And Roots had a couple killer riff-based tunes. I will have to give it a listen when I get home. Thanks for reminding me of it! 🎶