Greatest Guitar Solo of All Time? Could be...

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
stairway by the numbing of your riviera paradise via going home through Scottie...and many MORE......

GoldDeluxe5E3

Tele-Afflicted
It a good solo - and the analysis of the solo is interesting - but is it the best solo of all time - or is it good because Django played it?

To claim that this is the best solo of all time is difficult because it would clearly need to be compared with other solos. This solo, however, is incomparable. It's incomparable because the note choices in the solo are a product of a unique and severe physical impairment. Missing two fingers definitely put Django's sound in a category all its own.

To the extent all of this was due to Django Reinhardt's musical gift and his monumental will, yes, it's good because Django played it.

rand z

Friend of Leo's
Lot's of really GREAT stuff posted here!

I'd go with many of these "solos."

So, I'll just throw in one more from right field...

Danny Gatton's solo (single notes, the arpegios, harmonics, comping and passing chords) in "One For Lenny."

Danny could copy many styles...

THIS WAS HIS STYLE.

(Please listen to the entire piece to get it.)

I find it mind boggling!!!

I really think it is "other-worldly!"

I'd like to see someone accurately tab it!!!

(And, it chokes me up every time I hear it; knowing about Lenny Breau and Danny Gatton.)

imo.

Last edited:

Cadillac_Mike

Tele-Holic
Robben Ford's solo on the Yellowjackets "Monmouth College Fight Song" remains one of my al time favorite solos. From beginning to end its just such a well crafted solo. The solo starts at around 1:37.

He's not super smooth but he's got nice phrasing.... Very tasteful thanks for sharing and check my entry behind yours...

effzee

Tele-Holic
Moonage Daydream is my favorite. Not saying it’s the hardest or whatever. It’s subjective. I love it. It’s my favorite lead tone too.

Also Cinnamon Girl. For different reasons. Kinda sticking it to the man.
That's a great call 👍🏼 ever seen Justin's video on Cortez? I love his jam over the loop at the end, starts around 21 minutes:

effzee

Tele-Holic
Slim Harpo's I'm a King Bee has a perfect solo, it's like a distillation of the entire song. A confident statement of intent. At 1:10

The Stones overdid it, displaying their insecurity 😅🐝

3rdworlder

TDPRI Member
Two hard rock guitar solos comes to mind when pointing out the best ones...

First the guitar duel between Randy Bachman (Fender Strat) and Blair Thornton (Gibson SG) on this fantastic Bachman-Turner Overdrive song from 1975, "AWAY FROM HOME". Solo duel startsstarts at 1:50 more or less.

The other incredible solo I remember is from the one and only Tony Iommi. Black Sabbath's closing song from their 1980 Heaven and Hell LP, " Lonely is the Word":

There must be more awesome solos from other players, but these two stand out in my memory as the best ones. In the hard rock genre at least.

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
Of course ideally you have both...like David Rawlings.

Check out how smooth he is with a capo too.

I'd have dropped it.