Greatest drummer in the history of Rock & Roll

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
This apple possessed by the spirit of a cat is pretty good...

I ended up watching a couple times and now this song is stuck in my head

No idea what the song is saying but it’s there….

Maybe it’s like playing a Judas Priest album backwards and I don’t know it… what have you done to me….

Shango66

Friend of Leo's
a much overlooked drummer, Michael Clarke, the guy on the kit when country rock was born. Byrds, Flying Burritos.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Mitch Mitchell, probably the most extraordinary drummer I've ever seen.

But for all out Rock N' Roll entertainer/drummer, my vote would be Dewey Martin. Strong, compelling personalities are part of a great live show, and I've never seen anyone better than Martin (as member of the Buffalo Springfield).

An Honorable Mention for Phil Collins. He was once great, even though he wasn't much later in his career.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
a much overlooked drummer, Michael Clarke, the guy on the kit when country rock was born. Byrds, Flying Burritos.

Michael (Clarke is a made up name) was better than almost anyone credited him for in the day. Those who said he was chosen just for his looks, were being manifestly unfair. But he wasn't IMO one of the outstanding guys in any of these bands and besides, I thought everyone knew "Country Rock" started with the Springfield.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm not gonna read nine pages, so my apologies if this joke has been posted already:

In 1969, the post office gets a letter addressed to "The Greatest Drummer In The World". After some discussion, they forward it to Hal Blaine. Blaine sees the letter, thinks "oh, this couldn't be for me" and forwards it to Elvin Jones. Jones sees the letter, thinks "oh, this couldn't be for me" and forwards it to Buddy Rich. Rich sees the letter, and thinks "greatest drummer in the world? That's me!" He opens the letter and reads, "Dear Ringo..."

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
That is one of the greatest documentaries I've ever seen, whatever you think of the subject.
(Meaning, even if you weren't as fascinated by Ginger Baker as I am, you could still appreciate the artistry of the filmmakers.)
That what John Lydon said at the beginning of that clip should be on Baker's tombstone.

"Here lies Ginger Baker, a man who stood for something in life that probably most of you do not!"

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
An Honorable Mention for Phil Collins. He was once great, even though he wasn't much later in his career.
Luckily for Phil, with people of the youngest generation discovering his music and being blissfully unaware of all the backlash, he's being judged on his musicianship rather than his reputation.

But yeah, when he was in his prime, he was untouchable.

259638b236bd492be1baf6f13cc0ae16--play-drums-phil-collins.jpg

Chester Thompson said that he never understood how Phil could pull such a sound from such a tiny kit (Look at the lack of size that kick has) using such equally light drumsticks. Chester also said that he taught Phil the Philidelphia swing and Phil for his part taught Chester the "Ringo shuffle."

feldkeen

Tele-Meister
Did you guys see the greatest drummer in Rock and roll history thread. Yeah Kenny Jones.

sharmanism

TDPRI Member
From the old guard I find it hard to separate Bonzo, Moon and Charlie.

Hands down the best drummer I've seen in the last 20 years is Jean-Paul Gaster from Clutch. He's a beast with feel, sort of Bonham meets Watts.

Last edited:

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I wasn't a Led Zeppelin fan for most of my life, but in recent years I have come to realize they were probably the most all-around talented group of musicians to ever form a band, especially John Paul Jones and John Bonham. I have decided that John Bonham is the greatest rock drummer who ever lived. Anyhow, today would have been Bonham's 74th birthday.

I think Fool in the Rain is one of the best examples of his talent - sadly, the band never played it live.

The Ocean is another good example.

Would have to agree on Bonzo, but would also throw Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, Charlie Watts and Carl Palmer into the mix. Probly forgot some others but not intentionally.

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Rock n' roll I say Ringo or Charlie Watts. Mad technical skills move me toward Bill Bruford and this guy:

And T. Bozzio played The Black Page, with Ruth Underwood, perfectly synchronized...