Greatest drummer in the history of Rock & Roll

rand z

Friend of Leo's
Vinnie Lopez playing on Springsteen's first 2 albums (my favs) deserves mention.

I like him a bit better than Max Weinberg, who is also quite good.

Also, Russ Kunkel has a fine list of recording credits on some very, very important albums.

(Strangely, I met Kunkel in Key West and Lopez in Harrisburg, PA years ago. Both were great guys.)

imo.

Jim W

Friend of Leo's
Lots of great drummers mentioned! My favorites may not be rock drummers but I like
B.J Wilson
Dave Mattacks
Bobby Elliott
Kenny Buttrey
Al Jackson Jr.
Fred Below
Willie Smith
Levon Helm

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
The other drummer Carter Beauford, drummer for the Dave Matthews Band. I was channel surfing once, and a video of the live performance of either the song "Too Much" or "Drive In, Drive Out" or "Tripping Billies" (can't remember) was on. I could not believe what I witnessed and heard with him on his drum kit. This was no "taught himself how to play drums" kind of guy, he is a total PRO, with technique beyond anything I have ever heard.
I did a few days in the studio with Dennis Chambers, and it was unbelievable what he could do. Interestingly enough, he doesn't use charts or anything - very instinctual and goes from memory, which is not common in the hard core fusion world.

He's not what I'd call a rock drummer, but he's right up there with the very best in the world, IMHO. As much technical fireworks as anybody out there, but also a ridiculous pocket.

Mrbob135

Tele-Afflicted
Jeff Pocaro is one of my favorites, as is Steve Smith. Vinnie C. is a monster as well, last I knew he was playing with Jeff Beck.

blueruins

Tele-Meister
Ringo is the best drummer in rock and roll.

Honorable mention to these fine players in no particular order:

Bonham
Stewart Copeland
Keith Moon
Carter Beauford (amazing)
Steve Gadd
Carlos Vega
Mitch Mitchell
Neil Peart
Lars Ulrich
Bill Ward

Those are guys I’m listening to the drums as much as the rest of the band.

I also would dig to jam with the dude from the James Gang, is it Jim Fox?

Also that ZZ Top drummer has a killer feel.

Area51

Tele-Holic
I'll go off of the mainstream:

Terry Bozzio
Simon Phillips
Mike Portnoy

Of course,
Peart and Bonham

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Cozy Powell
Keith Moon
Ginger Baker
Billy Cobham
Bill Bruford
Alex Van Halen
Ringo Starr
John Bonham
Carl Palmer
Neil Peart
Alan White

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Even though I've been playing guitar (badly, lol) for as long as I've been playing drums, I'm really a drummer and gigged regularly for 30+ years until my back said I had enough. My biggest influences have been Ringo, Charlie, Keith, John Bonham, Don Brewer and Neal Smith, with plenty of others in there that I have no chance of emulating, like Bill Bruford, Alan White and Neal Peart.
When I was younger I would have argued for Moon as the best, but over the years I've realized that he might not have been the best choice for all bands, but for The Who there was none better.

I recently had the opportunity to play a benefit gig for our old bass player who passed away in March far too young. It was a real hoot to be back in the driver's seat, if only for an hour set. First rehearsal was a bit rough, but the second rehearsal sounded like we did back in the 80s, mainly because both guitarists are still gigging regularly.