Greatest Country Songs Ever Written

playforfun

Tele-Afflicted
I've got to toss in a couple by Dolly Parton, whom I consider one of the elite country songwriters, and entertainers.

Joshua

I Will Always Love You.
I think I read that Elvis wanted to record it. Dolly said no, without knowing why, and cried afterwards. Then in an interview, she said Whitney Houston's cover could have bought Graceland lol. I adore her.

Kentucky Gambler

Jolene

Ad infinitum! She's a treasure.
Col Parker wanted half the song writing credit before he would let Elvis cut it. Dolly was around 18 and had the nerve to say no. Elvis sang this to Priscilla when she left him.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
I know something about everything Merle had to say in this song, boy and man, I lived some of it. Maybe more than some of it. This song always reminds me of the time up north when I got out of jail in Alturas California. I was standing out there on the highway, everything I owned in a paper bag, trying to catch a ride in either direction, just wanting to be anywhere but where I was.

A little off topic TD, but over the years I’ve hung out here you’ve talked about certain times in your life. You’ve had an interesting one :)

Fuelish

Tele-Afflicted
foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
Strangely enough, former "angry young man new waver" Elvis Costello has written a bunch, and covered even more (like an album of covers)........he has turned out to be quite an artist/musician, glad I got in on the ground floor of his career, he has come a long way.....and STILL has shis original keyboardist and drummer. LLove ECs work

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
A little off topic TD, but over the years I’ve hung out here you’ve talked about certain times in your life. You’ve had an interesting one :)
Thank you for your kind comments RR. Indeed, it has been an interesting road I've traveled through life. I'm lucky to end up so well here near the end of the line, I've had many opportunities for it to have turned out a lot worse.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I know something about everything Merle had to say in this song, boy and man, I lived some of it. Maybe more than some of it. This song always reminds me of the time up north when I got out of jail in Alturas California. I was standing out there on the highway, everything I owned in a paper bag, trying to catch a ride in either direction, just wanting to be anywhere but where I was.

Austin City Limits, from 1987 if I remember correctly. That was the last year that Roy Nichols toured with him I think.

Both gone but not forgotten.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Austin City Limits, from 1987 if I remember correctly. That was the last year that Roy Nichols toured with him I think.

Both gone but not forgotten.

It was always amazing to me to watch Roy jump in play his part, then just lean back and relax with his hands resting lightly on the guitar.

Tall-Fir

Tele-Meister
IMHO, one of the great songs ever written is “If I Can Make Cheyenne” recorded by George Strait….not so noticeable or popular as so many of the greatest listed above, but what a great story and that’s what country music is about. Just a great song, that has it all.

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman

My dad played a lot of his music, both GC and Johnny Cash. So, although I'm not a huge country music lover, some of it still resonates with me.