Poster Extraordinaire
Mel Tillis wrote this one, but I’m partial to this version by Jamey Johnson:

Best lyric:
We’ll I hope that the train,
from Caraboue, Maine,
Runs over your new love affair

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
"Blue Eyes Cryin' in the Rain" is way up there. The Acuff original, the Williams version for it's 'hauntingness,' and the Willie version for reaching back ~25 years and bringing forward its rawness into a little epoch when it was lacking in the genre (imo).

"Heartaches by the Number" (Ray), "If You've Got the Money" (Lefty), "He'll Have to Go" (Jim Reeves), "How's the World Treating You" (Eddy's version) and "Six Pack to Go" (Hank Thompson) would be way up there for me personally, but probably not all-timers for most people. All of Marty's corridos are unassailable too. Big Iron, El Paso, et al

My selection for a modern classic would be "Thunderstorms & Neon Signs" by Wayne Hancock (and Hank III). Few folks do it like Mr. The Train here.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You beat me to it! I just started covering it. Love it.

I was at a jam session at a neighbor’s place about 10 years ago, and this one guy played it. I had never heard it before, but I wasn’t into country as much back then.

I have been playing it ever since.

Last edited:

BrazHog

Tele-Meister
Great topic! Some of my favorites:

Jimmie Rodgers - Waiting for a Train
Hank Williams - Jambalaya (a self-contained universe in 2 chords)
Red Simpson - Nitro Express
Junior Brown - My Baby Don't Dance to Nothing but
Ernest Tubb - Waltz Across Texas
Jimmy Bryant & Speedy West - Stratosphere Boogie

...and so many others!

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I think "Single Again" and "She's Actin' Single (I'm Drinkin' Doubles)" by Gary Stewart are great songs.
My favorite Gary Stewart song is An Empty Glass. It’s like a serious version of Willie’s I Gotta Get Drunk (and I sure do dread it). But I think it's one of his best... melody/changes/lyrics are really good.

Last edited:

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
Blue Kentucky Girl was Loretta’s first big hit, later recorded by Emmy Lou and many others. It’s a perfect vehicle for Loretta’s sincere delivery. Melinda Mullins, the daughter of the writer, does an act featuring this and her father’s other songs, several recorded by Porter Wagoner, including “Company’s Comin’.”

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I know something about everything Merle had to say in this song, boy and man, I lived some of it. Maybe more than some of it. This song always reminds me of the time up north when I got out of jail in Alturas California. I was standing out there on the highway, everything I owned in a paper bag, trying to catch a ride in either direction, just wanting to be anywhere but where I was.