Greatest Country Songs Ever Written

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Growing up I always heard "Gentle on my Mind" as a dopey theme song for Glen Campbell. It took some years but I finally listened to the song's story.

Great song, and one of the few that actually suits Hartford's generally rather regrettable voice. I feel like Campbell is underappreciated- he made some money and got pretty commercial, but he was a fine singer and guitarist (he was a session guitarist before they found out he could sing).

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A silly little tongue in cheek song, but the country licks in it are just killer. The whole A1A album is lit up with great country licks. Pretty sure Reggie Young is on lead guitar. Just the intro could open an legendary country song.

Love this one. "I didn't get rich, you son-of-a-*****, but I'll be back, just wait and see..."

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Ah, another unanswerable question. A few I'd consider that I haven't seen mentioned; Me and Bobby McGee, You Don't Know Me, Lovesick Blues, Jolene. Outlier, "Bluer than Midnight"- don't know who wrote it, Delia Bell recorded it. Not positive if the Patsy Cline songbook was all great songs or if she just made them great

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I've got to toss in a couple by Dolly Parton, whom I consider one of the elite country songwriters, and entertainers.

Joshua

I Will Always Love You.
I think I read that Elvis wanted to record it. Dolly said no, without knowing why, and cried afterwards. Then in an interview, she said Whitney Houston's cover could have bought Graceland lol. I adore her.

Kentucky Gambler

Jolene

Ad infinitum! She's a treasure.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Great song, and one of the few that actually suits Hartford's generally rather regrettable voice. I feel like Campbell is underappreciated- he made some money and got pretty commercial, but he was a fine singer and guitarist (he was a session guitarist before they found out he could sing).
Actually, when Brian Wilson quit touring with the Beach Boys, Campbell was the one who filled in at first, before they got Bruce Johnston. He played the bass and sang Brian's top harmony parts. I think he said that doing that raised the pitch of his voice. That's why "Hi, I'm Glen Campbell!" was in such a high pitch.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I've got to toss in a couple by Dolly Parton, whom I consider one of the elite country songwriters, and entertainers.

Joshua

I Will Always Love You.
I think I read that Elvis wanted to record it. Dolly said no, without knowing why, and cried afterwards. Then in an interview, she said Whitney Houston's cover could have bought Graceland lol. I adore her.

Kentucky Gambler

Jolene

Ad infinitum! She's a treasure.

Dolly's at the very top level next to Willie.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
One of the best songwriters I've ever heard is barely known, and he wrote this. And yes, I think this is country, if I use that word in earnest and not just to refer to a marketing category.