Greatest British TV Shows

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
I'm a red, white, and blue-blooded American. I only buy Merican and only eat American food - hamburgers, French Fries, a Greek salad, and a Molson beer.

But I have seen some British TV. I have made a short list of the greatest UK TV shows of all time. Add some I do not know about, if you please.

Here's the Top 5 Greatest British TV shows:

The Avengers
8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown
Monty Python
The Young Ones
The Tube (a live music program from the '80s)

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
I watched one episode of 8/10 Cats and was nonplussed. Is there value in watching more?

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
The Old Grey Whistle Test
Green Wing
Our Friends In The North
Boys From The Blackstuff
Absolutely Fabulous
Jam and Jerusalem
Spaced

Edit - I've just found Green Wing on youtube - just the opening credits have me laughing out loud, and I've seen it sooo many times. My favourite show ever, possibly.

Last edited:

ricknbaker

Tele-Afflicted
I've only seen a handful of episodes, but maybe I'll find out if they are streaming somewhere: Fawlty Towers.

The line: "Pretentious? Moi?" has to be the shortest (clever) joke created.
They only made a handful of episodes. That's part of its genius.

ricknbaker

Tele-Afflicted
Emma Peel . . . one of my first crushes.
just4b.jpg

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
1. Monty Python

2. Pretty much anything by Steve Coogan: "Hello, I'm Alan Partridge", of course, but "Saxondale" has got to be the best encapsulation of coming to terms with middle age. The brilliant portrayal of a former '70s music roadie, desperately (and with hilarious consequences) pining for the "good old days" of partying on tour, but now leading a boring life as a pest control man. As with most great British comedy, it only lasted a few seasons which is good because they end before it becomes stale and repetitive.

If you like "Spinal Tap", I highly recommend binge watching both seasons of "Saxondale". Season 2 is the better one, IMO, but it's best viewed chronologically. Also, the theme song uses both "House Of The King" and "Hocus Pocus" by Focus!

Last edited: