1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Great Versatile 12" Speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by gitapik, Nov 20, 2013.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Hi. I've got a BillM modded NOS Blues Jr. 30w. Extension speaker outlet. Lots of work done on it. I love it.

I'm getting a Port City OS Wave extension cab and will have the Warehouse ET-65 speaker included. I've heard that combination and really like it.

On the BJr, I opted to try breaking in the Jensen C12n (despite the bad reports I read) and have to say that I like it for the glassy clean stuff a lot, except for the bridge pup on my Strat (heard that before?). G&L ASAT Classic and Les Paul sound really nice, as do the other two pups on my Strat with cleans.

What it doesn't do really well, though, are OD and distortion. At least, to my ears. And I dig those two elements.

So I'm looking for a speaker that's going to sound great both with and without the extension cab with the ET-65. Both clean and filthy with everything in between.

I really need the gamut, is the thing. I love super clean tones. Country. Jazz. Really dig SRV's clean, slow blues works. But OD and distortion are a must, as well. Mainly from my pedals (I'm using an XTS Preamp, now, which is fantastic).

So with all that in mind, I'm hoping to get feedback on what would be a great all around speaker for my 30w Blues Jr. I like to use the amp's grit for a light OD if I'm plugging straight in…but I usually set it to very clean and let the pedals do the work from there.

If I was still a working pro, I'd probably buy another amp and work an A/B setup. But I'm not, anymore, so I'm trying to get the most out of the BJr that I can. I'm into the amp.

I chose this forum because I read a post about the Cannabis Rex by a builder which had a great description of WHY it does what it does and what it doesn't do well. I like that. I've been considering the CRex, but now am on pause about it.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

C12k is not bad...it is at 100watt....the mids may not OD the way you wish.
    Could try
    Hellatone 30 (G12H anniv 70hz) or Creamback (65)

I had a ET65 by (WGS/Goodsell)..I think those would mix nice..

3. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My bad. I meant the C12n speaker. Not C12k (which I used to have in my Boogie and really liked). I just made the correction on the original post.

Creamback sounds nice. You like it on it's own, too (without pairing to the ET-65)?

Thanks.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

5. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

I have an Eminence Wizard in my cab & have played about 10 different amps through it and it handled them all very well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.