1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Great Strap for a Heavy Ax

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gitapik, Dec 13, 2017.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My '69 LP was my first great electric. I played nothing but for a decade. I absolutely love this guitar. Plays like a dream and sounds incredible.

But: 'tis a heavy beast! After about 30 to 45 minutes, my shoulder tightens up and it stays that way through to much of the next day. Big bummer, considering how much the guitar means to me.

I've been looking for a solution for awhile. Checked out some stuff and nothing really worked.

After searching, I found a thread that mentioned Nick, over at Leatherhead in Louisville, KY:

http://www.theleatherhead.com/

I called and spoke to him. Seems that he'd patented a new design that a lotta people were really happy about. I ordered a strap.

Got it in the mail a few days ago. I've been playing for hours at a time ever since without even a hint of shoulder pain. Next day I'm feeling just fine.

It's an expensive strap, people. No doubt. But I'm no longer looking for a replacement for my favorite guitar. This means the world to me. Can't even begin to say how happy I am. So the strap is worth every cent spent, in my book.

(btw: I am in no way affiliated with Leatherworks or Nick. I've just found something that really works and want to share it with anyone else who's interested)

Teleterr likes this.
  2. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

Thanks; I also have a ‘69 LP and the same praise and complaints. I’m going to look into one of those straps.

gitapik likes this.
  3. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

4. gitapik

I’ve got a Strat, G&L ASAT Classic, and a MusicMan Silhouette Special. They’re all wonderful guitars. But nothing does what my LP does and I’ve been missing it in a big way for a few years, now. Got a new lease on life with this little strap of leather.

5. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

I really like the Neotech Megastrap for guitar and bass... about $20 at MF. It's wide, soft, a little stretchy... so comfy for long sets. If you play any hot sweaty summer gigs, you will find that leather straps not only stain your clothes, but start to smell funky after awhile.
    I had a shoulder injury and the Megastrap kept me going during that rehab period.

6. gitapik

I’ve heard great things about the Eldorado straps. Haven’t tried one out but they’re beautiful and lots of people swear by ‘em.

Might be the same with them. The thing about Nick’s design is that he takes the weight focus point away from the neck and off of the trapezius muscle and places it on the bone towards the upper arm. Your body frame is supporting the weight. Not your muscle.

Do a search of “Nick strap Leatherhead”, click on Images, and scroll to the shot of the difference between the two strap designs.

7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

What did Paul Bunyan use?

gitapik likes this.
  8. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

Excellent support. Bought one years ago.

jaime

9. gitapik

Serious metal head. He had a Paul but liked to use an ESP for the dive bombing stuff.

10. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

"Seen on the Oprah show.":rolleyes:

11. gitapik

The strap?

12. gitapik

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  13. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sorry, his website is nearly unreadable on my Mac. (Who knows, maybe it's my Mac's fault.)

Is there a link to his special strap so we can see?

14. gitapik

Hmmmm...

http://www.theleatherhead.com/prostrap.htm

The photos don't really give an idea, honestly. For me, it was a leap of faith after talking to Nick. If this strap didn't work, I was going to look at a newer, chambered LP.

He was saying that he used to make lots of standard design straps which, in the end, didn't do the trick with the heavier guitars. So he worked on a different design that shifted the weight to the shoulder blade, away from the muscle.

Hope the link works.

15. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks for the link!

16. gitapik

You're welcome, Bill.

Bob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.