Great price at M.F. on Acoustic AG60

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by gitold, Aug 18, 2014.

1. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

2. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Looks pretty interesting at that price. Can't personally justify one right now - please come back with a detailed review!

Greg

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Blast it, gitold, I don't need this temptation right now! :mad: :p

That is a strange but great deal. I bought an Acoustic AG15 years ago for my son-in-law for Christmas. It of course had nowhere near the wattage output and features of the AG60, but it sounded really nice. I expect that the AG60 will sound good as well. I may have to go to GC and check this out.

4. gitold

MF not GC. GC has the same amp on sale right now for $279.

5. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, but you "check 'em out" at GC.

6. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

I bought an AG-30 a couple of years ago because it's one of the best-sounding acoustic guitar amps I've heard.

Unlike Fender's Acoustasonics and so on, which have a distinctive and highly processed sound, the AG-30 is very neutral, with a broad, flat frequency response and almost no "sound" of it's own. This makes it a really good small P.A. or monitor for vocals, in addition to its role as guitar or keyboard amp.

I think the wedge-shaped enclosure with its non-parallel walls is a big part of the story, as the AG-30 has less "boxiness" than the vast majority of speakers-in-boxes I've heard.

The AG-30 has been my workhorse ever since, and is currently being used as the main P.A. for acoustic guitar and vocals at a weekly charity dinner gig, with typically up to 50 people in the audience. We're putting up to four vocalists and three acoustic guitars through it (via a small Mackie mixer).

I used to have a second AG-30 to use as a monitor while the first one acted as P.A., but I had to leave it behind in a recent long-distance move.

I think I know why the AG-60 is going for less than the AG-30: that thing weighs a tonne! Even the AG-30 is heavy, bulky, and awkward to carry thanks to the wedge shape, and the AG-60 is twice as heavy, twice as bulky, and three times as awkward to carry!

If you can deal with the weight and bulk, the AG-60 deal sounds really good. Those of you used to schlepping Fender Twin's around will find the AG-60 as light as a feather. ;)

-Gnobuddy

7. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Gitold, what are you thinking about this amp now? Have you done anything with the DSP effects? How many can be used at one time? Can the 2x8" speakers do the job?

If I could sell an Ibanez TA35 (10") on Craigslist - I could justify this amp before they're sold out.

Greg

8. gitold

For $169 it's a wonderful amp. About a year ago my buddy and I went to GC to listen to acoustic amps. He ended up buying a Fishman Loudbox but we were both impressed with the Acoustic AG60. It weighed too much for him (more than twice the weight of the Loudbox). The effects are nice but limited. They have certain settings with 2 effects together . They sound nice. Seems like most acoustic amps use 8 inch speakers and a tweeter and this is a pretty loud for 60 watts solid state.
    Greg if you're anywhere close to Denver you're more than welcomed to come and try it out. If you're looking for a acoustic amp on a budget this is a no brainer.

9. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

I appreciate this offer and I will probably take you up. (I am always looking for things on a budget).

MF sometimes lays stuff out there at incredible prices and it's only after the fact that we realize it was a once-in-a-lifetime incredible deal - hopefully it's after we've bought it.

Greg

10. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

I'm not gitold, but - the main limitation of the on-board effects is that they are applied to both inputs on that "channel". The AG-30 has one 30-watt channel, with two inputs, and both those inputs share the same FX settings and EQ knobs.

The AG-60 has two 30-watt "channels", essentially it's two complete AG-30's in one box, as far as I can see.

That means it has a total of four inputs, split into two pairs, each pair sharing one set of tone controls and FX settings.

Since I usually use my AG-30 for both guitar and vocals, this limits me. I can't, for instance, use the rather nice-sounding chorus effect on my guitar signal, because I don't want the vocals to also have chorus applied to them. So I'm usually limited to using a modest amount of reverb, appropriate for the vocals, and any other FX for my guitar has to come from an external source (ex. an FX pedal between guitar and AG-30).

What I really like about the AG-30 and its bigger brother (AG-60) is that they really are exceptionally neutral-sounding small P.A. systems at an outstanding price. They won't blow the doors off their hinges with sheer volume, but if you don't want ear-bleeding sound pressure levels, these Acoustic AG amps are really good. I get compliments on the sound quality of the AG-30 from other musicians quite often.

The only real downside to these amps is the weight and bulk...if you're going to get an AG-60, you might as well start working out at the gym now!

-Gnobuddy

11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Damn, almost 60lbs for a 30w x 2 amp with twin 8" speakers!!! That's ridiculous and probably why it's not selling and they're dumping them at cost or close to it.

12. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Yup, they are extremely heavy. Even the AG-30 is 45 lbs, and that's as much weight as I'm willing to carry around in one hand these days. My vertebral column has got to last me the rest of my life, and I'd rather not have any more damage done to it.
    I agree that's probably why they don't sell well - I said as much in my first post here.

However - the enormous weight comes from the enormous quantities of thick MDF that the enclosure is made from. The wedge shape cuts down on boominess, the large enclosure volume gives you strong deep bass, and the 8" speakers are light enough to have the crisp treble and quick transient response that brings vocals and high frequency sounds alive.

The AG-30/60 also avoids the nasty "cupped hands around your mouth" tone that usually comes with compression (horn) tweeters. Instead, you get a smooth sound closer to a decent home hi-fi speaker than a typical P.A.

I bought a smaller and lighter amp to replace my AG-30 because I didn't want to haul 45 lbs around. Once I realised how much I lost in sound quality, I went back to hauling the AG-30 around.

The AG-60 is probably too much for my middle-aged back, though. I'd rather buy a second AG-30 to run next to my existing one. (I used to have a second, one as P.A., one as monitor.)

Still, think of it this way: an AG-60 is about 20 lbs lighter than a Fender Twin, puts out about the same power, and is a lot more versatile! :D

-Gnobuddy

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I just got back from GC, where I checked out the Acoustic AG60.

I plugged a Martin DRS2 into it.* I also plugged in a Shure Beta 58A mic. It's plenty loud, and both guitar and vocals sound good through it. I experimented with the effects. They didn't sound that bad, but like Gnobuddy said, "the main limitation of the on-board effects is that they are applied to both inputs on that channel."

What I am mainly looking for in this amp is an all in one amp/PA for my trio, to replace having load in and out and set up PA speakers and stands and a powered mixer. This amp could cut down on a trip or two in the load in/out process.

One possible drawback to the AG60 in this regard is the weight. I did heft it in the store, and truthfully it didn't feel like 58 lbs to me. With the wedge shaped cab pointing outward, with the front panel and grill cloth facing me, it wasn't that awkward to pick up. I guess I won't know for sure unless I schlep it back and forth from a gig, but it seemed manageable to my 60 year old joints and back.

As for the effects, I don't like the limitation of the same effects and level on both inputs of a channel. With my trio, I could put two mics in one channel, and my guitar and mic in the other. But then I couldn't do different effects for my guitar and my mic. I don't know yet if this is a deal breaker for me.

And as always, GC will price match anyone, especially MF (they're sister companies, right?), so even though it's priced $279 at GC, they'll sell it to me for the $169. I'm still thinking about it. But I gotta tell ya, for this money, it's tempting.

* That DRS2 is not a bad guitar, BTW. A dreadnaught in Martin's MiM Road Series, acoustic/electric w/ Fishman Sonitone electronics, solid sitka spruce top, solid sapele B/S, "Stratabond" neck, black Richlite fretboard. It played well, and sounded good unplugged as well as through the Acoustic AG60.

14. metropark15

metropark15 TDPRI Member

Let me tell you I own both the ag 60 and the 120. They are wonderful sounding amps no question.
    And the price is a steal at 169...but the weight............yes........The weight.....If you are lucky enough to leave it in one place that you may gig at its absolutely worth it.....

I do vocals through it as well as the guitar....and its a super warm amp......

IMHO

Metro

15. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Thanks for your review, always nice to have another musicians take on a product!

Good for you, clearly you're in better physical shape than I am! I have a childhood back injury that flares up from time to time, and particularly when that happens, I am limited in how much weight I can handle without pain.

I don't find the AG30 particularly hard to pick up, but when I walk with it, the triangular shape has a way of bumping into my hips or thighs as I walk, which is a bit annoying.
    Yeah, that shared FX can be annoying, for sure. The AG30 and AG60 would have been so much more versatile without this limitation.

There is (was?) a little sister AG15 in the family - that one only had chorus onboard, no reverb. Weird. It's almost as though marketing and engineering got together and said "Let's make an affordable acoustic guitar amp with exceptional audio quality, and then hamstring the FX section so people will spend more money on a more expensive model."

With your vocal trio, you could use a small mixer to mix all 3 mics together and run the combined signal into one AG60 channel, along with it's built-in reverb. Your guitar could then go straight into the other channel, and use a different FX setting. But I expect you already thought of that.

I already had a little Mackie mixer when I bought my AG30. It lets me run more than two signals into the one AG30 - but because my mixer has no onboard FX, and the AG30 has only one channel, I'm still forced to share the same FX between vocals and guitar.

If I had bought the mixer after the AG30, I'd have chosen one (mixer) with onboard FX of its own.

From my perspective, it's particularly tempting because it sounds so good. I really dislike P.A. systems that destroy the quality of a good singers voice, as most affordable ones do. The AG30 and AG60 are noteworthy exceptions to that rule.

In fact that's how I came to pay any attention to these amps in the first place - I was trying out an acoustic-electric guitar at a Guitar Center some years ago, and plugged into the amp they'd provided without paying it any attention. I couldn't seem to get the amp to work, and fiddled with the controls a couple of times before I suddenly realised that my guitar was, in fact, much louder - but still sounded almost exactly the same as it had sounded unplugged. The amp (AG60) had been working all along, it was just so neutral-sounding that I actually didn't realise it was working!

I bought the guitar that day, and went back for an AG30 not long after. Pretty much the same sound, but much less weight. :)

-Gnobuddy

16. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

There it is, the exact same love-hate relationship so many of us share for these amps! :D :D

-Gnobuddy

17. gitold

I wont be shelping mine around and I have a nice sized family room that is jam central station here at La Casa de Gitold. It will be there for the TDPRI CO. Jams for anyone who wants to use it. I didn't have any problem with the weight and I'm 60 and have a bad back and bad knees. It's not a mini Loudbox for sure though. But for $169??????

18. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

Great price! I bought one a couple years ago and used it for acoustic duo set ups with my wife and I and with others. Two guitars in one channel and two mics in the other seems to set up well. Each input has a volume control but share the EQ and effects settings. I liked the sound. Like others have said, it's got a good PA sound.

We got this to consolidate our gear and it does OK. Instead of carrying two acoustic combos, a Crate and a Loudbox mini, we loaded this up along with guitars, mic stands, and gig bags on a little folding 4-wheel cart. Saved my back.

19. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

I purchased this today. Just posting here to remind people that this is the last day for this price - I am pretty sure.

I went over to see Gitold and compare this Acoustic amp to my Ibanez amp. The AG60 is louder and puts out more high fidelity. I chose it over my own for the extra clarity to the high end. Nothing wrong with my amp - but I will move it now to offset this purchase.

Greg

20. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 Tele-Meister

I got an AG120 at Guitar Center for $199.

It really sounds amazing with an acoustic set to "chorus/Reverb" on one channel, and a mic set to "reverb" on the other.

I've already added small wheels on the bottom to overcome the weight, and when set back in it's tilted position, fills up an open area cleanly.

That, a mic stand, an extension cord, and some cables, make this a one box gigging machine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.