Great Pick

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by gitapik, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Cheesehead

Cheesehead Friend of Leo's

2. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

I almost don't believe is sweating such small details, but I really feel a difference with the Claytons. I use the .80mm ones. Only drag is that I can never find them in stores, I always have to order them on line. I need to get it together and re-order the signature ones I had, but they lost my artwork and I just haven't had the time to deal with it.

3. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic

That's where I'm at with this. I've played with lots of picks. For whatever reason this one stood out. Just "fits".

4. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm a home player, mostly, not a gigger. If I played out in dark places, getting sweaty and dropping picks, I would use less expensive picks for that, probably the Pro-Plec mentioned above, or Dunlops or Claytons. But a fine pick has its individual character, and I love fine picks.

I have a tortoiseshell pick (a friend gave it to me,) and that's the gold standard, but Bones's posts in threads on the topic have convinced me that it's not really OK to use them, or pursue owning them. There are plenty of excellent alternatives available now.

I change occasionally which pick I use with which guitar, and once I change I try to stay with the pick/guitar combination for a while before I change again. My "favorite list" changes order from time to time, but the top five pretty well stay the same: Blue Chip, Red Bear, Dugain, Wegan, and V-Pick. I also like various kinds of wooden picks, especially ebony and rosewood, but also the lignum vitae SurfPick.

When I change picks each time, I change the character and sound of the guitar. It both sounds and feels different, and this is true for both acoustics and electrics.

If I had to give up all my picks and keep only one, right now that would be my Blue Chip TD 40. I'm glad I don't have to do that, though; I'd be giving up some great picks. My next pick order will probably be that same pick in the 60mm thickness.

5. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1. I use a TD 50 Bluechip for Acoustic and Love it. It seems to be impervious to wear and tear. My next one will be a Blue Chip thumbpick. :D:D

6. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

Django Buttons:

http://www.jpstrings.com/D Button.jpg

I bounce between these, Heartwood wooden picks and Dunlop .88mm. Mostly an acoustic player but some electric.

The comment about playing on the pick shoulder caught my eye. The Django Button is all shoulder. Nice smooth sound and no problem if it turns in your hand.

7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

A wise player I knew told me a long time ago that I should use a heavy pick so the string moves instead og the pick bending. The pick should not be like playing cards in bicycle spokes.

I prefer the 351 shape but other shapes are available.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=pro+plec

Pic of plec as requested...

[​IMG]

8. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Picks! The cheapest instant tone mod ever.

I currently use 2.5mm John Pearse "fast turtles" on electric and Dugain 3.5mm acetate for acoustic... I also use a 3mm "moustache" pick for gypsy jazz. I gotta have 'em thick!

My most expensive picks did cost about $20, but when you spend that much on something so small you tend to keep a close eye on them...I haven't (knock on wood) lost one of my expensive picks yet.

The tonal difference between a good thick pick and say a fender medium is remarkable. I'll never go back.

9. Rob Moody

Rob Moody Tele-Meister

V Picks. So great.

10. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

+1 for Dunlop 'Max Grip' :p

Fantastic picks for me... I have damn sweaty hands, so them boogers slip out of my fingers if they're too smooth!!

11. zoppotrump

zoppotrump Tele-Afflicted

i use the Dunlop Ultex 1.40 for everything on my teles and my acoustics.

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I recently changed from small Clayton .63 to Dunlop Eric Johnson Jazz IIIs.
    It made me much cooler, and my hair started growing back.
    Way back, unfortunately.:oops:

13. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic

:)

14. JBOWLES

JBOWLES Tele-Meister

I'm in complete agreement with the EJ Jazz III. Its a rarity that I ever play anything different.

No hair growing anywhere extra though. Maybe I have to wait a few years for that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.