Great new ideas from Martin!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DougM, Jan 26, 2020.

1. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I saw this video from Anderton's at Martin's HUGE NAMM setup, where they talk to one of Martin's lead designers about some very cool new ideas that he's introduced. Poor Lee though, 'cause the guy gushes all over Danish Pete while practically ignoring the guy who's gonna sign the check for the order of all those new Martins!

etype, black_doug and Fretting out like this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Watching this video kind of makes me want to look into Martin again for an acoustic option

3. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah looked interesting at first but with laminated sides and back and MIM built for $1500 I lost interest.

Flakey likes this.
  4. Fretting out

I find people get hung up too much on such things as it being laminated back and side but when done right I’m sure it can be a great instrument

I think that new heel is awesome I’ve just never been into cutaway acoustics

5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I worked at the #1 Martin dealer here for almost 15 years, and there is zero difference in quality between one built in Nazareth and one built in Mexico. If said $1500 guitar had been made in Nazareth, then it would have cost even more!

Fretting out likes this.
  6. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

You are so right about Lee getting looked at like chopped liver. Made me cringe.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

[QUOTE="DougM, post: 9583025, member: 136982"
    .... Poor Lee though, 'cause the guygushes all over Danish Pete while practically ignoring the guy who's gonna sign the check for the order of all those new Martins!...[/QUOTE]

Lol. That's so true. Pete gets rightly knocked down by Lee all the time. Pete knows how to play but he's not the guitar geek that Lee is (and needs to be) to buy and sell guitars.

The Martin designer is too full of himself .. but that's because the Martin management have been running scared about how to pull in the millenials to buy their guitars. Their boomer customers are fading fast, too many guitars in fleets they are shedding or just boomers shedding from old age and their spouses dumping guitars on the market. The designer doesn't realize this though. That's the funny part. He'll be left standing at a cliff edge soon and won't know why. Lol.

It's a good move for Martin to do the offset design though. Most Indie bands are taking the 'alternative' path and seeking out instrument styles their older generations avoided. Teles and Offsets are popular now. Shredders and Strats have faded.

RomanS and Fretting out like this.
  8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

You're actually giving Lee too much credit and Pete not enough. I can't count how many times Rob asks Lee "Is this an alder body?" or "Is this a roswewood fretboard?" to which Lee replies "I don't know, let me look at the spec sheet". How hard is it to memorize the specs of a Fender guitar you're featuring in a video before the camera starts rolling? I know the specs and details of most Fender and Squier guitars, and I'm not the owner of the biggest Fender dealer in the UK! I've also heard Lee say many times "Could this trem be setup to float?" on a Strat! He doesn't even know anything about Strat bridges! Does he even know what's behind that back plate? I gues he's never even strung his own Strat, and has one of his flunkies do it for him. He's a good player, but a bit thick.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  9. Fretting out

[/QUOTE] Lol. That's so true. Pete gets rightly knocked down by Lee all the time. Pete knows how to play but he's not the guitar geek that Lee is (and needs to be) to buy and sell guitars.

The Martin designer is too full of himself .. but that's because the Martin management have been running scared about how to pull in the millenials to buy their guitars. Their boomer customers are fading fast, too many guitars in fleets they are shedding or just boomers shedding from old age and their spouses dumping guitars on the market. The designer doesn't realize this though. That's the funny part. He'll be left standing at a cliff edge soon and won't know why. Lol.

It's a good move for Martin to do the offset design though. Most Indie bands are taking the 'alternative' path and seeking out instrument styles their older generations avoided. Teles and Offsets are popular now. Shredders and Strats have faded.[/QUOTE]-DougM

I’m sure it will be cyclical and in 20 years if strats aren’t cool anymore than some “indie” guy (whatever that means then) will pick one up and it will be the hip guitar again-Fretting Out

Edit- somehow quotes got messed up and I can’t figure out how to fix it

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It wôuld be nice to try the offset neck. Pretty innovative for production.

BTW, didn't that offset sound awfully thin when that gal played it?

11. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

Something about C.F. Martin (& Co.) going all "NAMM" rubs me the wrong way.

Maybe it's just me?

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  12. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

FYI Martin is at NAMM ever year, and has been for decades, just like Fender, Gibson, Taylor, Guild, Gretsch, etc, etc, etc.........................

13. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sad, Martin bragging about using wood on their guitars again. Sadder is how excited they are about this innovative design improvement

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Great new ideas is not what I want from Martin just sayin

15. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I like the new design. I wouldn’t trade my Martin for it, but I would like to give it a whirl. I like Angela, too.

gitold likes this.
  16. gitold

If said guitar had been made in the US out of solid woods it would be worth much more and I would be interested in as a Martin fan and owner. As someone who worked for the #1 Martin Dealer I’m sure you feel that a laminate guitar is inferior to a solid wood guitar if made by the same manufacturer. The MIM Road series Martins are 100’s of dollars cheaper and have solid backs and sides as I’m sure you know. I just wish they had more faith in their new design and made them with solid woods instead of pretty laminates. IMO.

17. gitold

If they were really excited they would have started with an expensive American model made with solid woods and worked their way down the line like Taylor did with their new bracing system. That said I would like to see what that neck feels like and I love the offset body. Laminate MIM guitar with 2 bolts on the back? Sell it for $899 and I’d be interested. $1499 not so much.

18. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Meh.
    Not for me.

19. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I'm reserving judgement until I've played one, but I work for a big dealer so I'll have one in hand soon enough.

I think it's a great move to make this a top tier MiM guitar rather than a US model - too often these 'innovative' new designs end up being too expensive for anyone outside of a very small niche, and with a $1500 price point they'll get a much better feel for how successful a design it is. I'm sure if it does well it will be rolled out at other pricepoints.

Tooling up for a completely new design is expensive and doing it at a lower pricepoint than the one they have done would be risky. I don't know that it's realistic to tool up to make an X series or Road series version where the margins are thin and they would need to sell a little of them.

Martin already make a laminate Koa guitar in Mexico that sits above the all solid mahogany guitars in the range, so this one isn't out of keeping with what they're already doing. I would guess they've gone for the most striking looking existing MiM models, the Koa 12 series, to make it as aethetically appealing as possible, and it's a stage guitar so laminate materials won't be the end of the world.

dswo likes this.
  20. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think this is exactly right. I’m sure some of these features will eventually make it to models higher up in the line. For now? Sell a bunch and see what works and what doesn’t. That said I’m intrigued and would love to try one.

Cheers,
    Geoff

jayyj likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.