Great local guitar heroes

reverbbb

Friend of Leo's
Jake:

I started going to the Hole In The Wall and jamming this summer. Hashbrown usually calls me up with other players, so I have not jammed with him directly. Perhaps because my style is a little more towards the edgy blues rock. I started taking my portable Hammond and playing at the blues jams. It seems people enjoy the added dimension, and I get more playing time than competeing with 12 other guitarist that are waiting to play.

Another great jam is at the Texas Bar & Grill in Los Colinas (Irving). They have a jam called the "Blues Cruise". Hashbrown sometimes shows up for that and blows on his harp. The Blues Cruise is a cool idea that is not just limited to one venue. They have started another venue in downtown Richardson. These blues jams are where I enjoy going these days, because you get to meet a lot of different folks every week. Of coarse, very few players are getting paid to "jam". But when it's in your blood, the pay is just a little more icing but not the cake.

What is your brother's name (you can PM if you like)?

As a footnote: Many folks do not realize that SRV, Jimmy Wallace and Rocky Athes were in early high school bands together. Jimmy apparently played with SRV on their first studio recording together.

Bruce Kiely

Tele-Meister
My faves in Calgary

Some of my faves here in Calgary, Canada .....

- jazz, Ralf Buschmeyer

- country, Derek Littlejohn

- blues, Tim Williams

- other, Russ Broom (tours and records with Jann Arden, but is also a great player with a handle on many styles)

Oh yeah ...... then there's Amos Garrett ..... but I guess he doesn't qualify, as he's too well known, right?

:)

Cheers,
BK

PraiseCaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I thought of one!

Our one and only CowboyTwang! Seriously, one of the best I have ever seen! He did some stuff that just left my jaw on the floor! Ask anyone who went to Joe Neri's SoCal Jam a couple of months ago, We was all impressed! And it was a pleasure to play with him too! He didnt go there like he was cuttin heads, he was just havin a blast like the rest of us!

He's outta Mojave California, but plays in Las Vegas all the time.

Geo

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm not real up to date but here are some who have been
around here for some years. I don't know that any of these
guys really fit the hero or slinger "mold" but they play very well.
Probably for each one listed there is 3 I forgot and a 100
great ones I don't know of that are around. :D

Fred James
RickyGodfrey
Robert Thames
Gary Bohannon
Mike Henderson
Jack Pearson
Johnny Jones
John Pell

There are some fairly unknown session players that
sometimes gig locally like Pat Buchanon and Richard Bennett.
Richard Bennett had a recent CD out and plays in
Mark Knopfler's band.

Of course there are the known ones like Brent Mason
and those folks who also gig sometimes local.
Anyone know if Bill Hullet plays the clubs?

tweedman

Tele-Meister
Joel Terry said:
tweedman said:
In Tulsa a few players WORTH hearing are:
1-Tommy Tripplehorn
2-Tommy Crook
3-Mark Bruner

Isn't Tommy Tripplehorn actress Jeanne Tripplehorn's (Basic Instinct, The Firm, Waterworld, et al.) father...or brother...or some relation? I once read she has several male relatives who are really good guitarists.

Joel

Tommy Tripplehorn is Jeanne Tripplehorn's father.
He is a GREAT guitar player as well as a GREAT piano player!
Tommy,for years, played guitar behind Tulsa nightclub singer Bill Davis.He plays an ol' beat up Strat plugged straight into a old late 50's tweed Bassman.His guitar tone will make you drool with admiration.
In recent times he has been playing a lot more piano around town in clubs and resturants.

tdp46

TDPRI Member
Local heroes

Loads & loads of them, all better than me :oops: But for any UK people a guy called Jed Thomas is quite simply very, very good! He was rumoured to have an ex Rory Gallacher Strat (red top) and his set used to be heavily orientated towards the said Irish genius. Since then he has added keyboards & electric violin. There is less Rory but live, is really fanastic!! Catch him if you can....

Billy Claire

Tele-Afflicted
For YEARS, if you had asked this question there would be one answer around Boston: Johnny A. He was the "guy who shoulda made it" time and time again. Good to see that one of the unsung finally got his due!

Billy

johnnylipps

TDPRI Member
Rich Gilbert

I think he's moved from Providence to Nashville, but I'll consider him local as besides playing nationally with Frank Black, Tanya Donnelly, and others, he was in one of my favorite Providence bands, the Blackstone Valley Sinners. In this fairly traditional (the songs at least, after the first few minutes you'd forget the drum machine was there) country group, Rich would switch from Tele to pedal steel in mid-song, play a solo by de- and re-tuning one open string, and even pull out a Jerry Jones sitar to play a Slim Whitman cover. Truly one of my guitar heroes.

TELE52

Tele-Meister
Some Swedish guitar players

A great Jazz/Blues player is Max Schultz www.maxschultz.com . I Haven´t seen or heard him in a while but maaan he can play!!! Another great thing is that he mostly uses a Telecaster.
And then we have Ulf Wakenius (played with Oscar Peterson), Peter Almqvist and Anders Lewén(www.knockoutgreg).
Check out Knock out Greg, the best Blues band Sweden can offer!!

Horrorshow

Tele-Meister
Dana said:
In the Boston area

When talking the Boston area, you can't leave out Ronnie Earl (Western Mass) and Johnny A (Malden). They're both excellent, well-known players; Ronnie's one of the greatest guitar players of all time, imo.