Great Live Version of Midnight Rambler from 1971 at the Marquee Club

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Lone_Poor_Boy, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

I love the Stones but we all know how their live takes can be different, more raw, than the albums. But I thought this was one of the best I ever heard. All that power on that small stage.

2. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

I'm thinking this isn't the version I thought it was. I have (had) the Marquee Club DVD and got it because the official Stones Youtube channel had the full version of Midnight Rambler right before the DVD came out. Now that video is no longer available.

So after posting I watched this one and seeing some glitches I didn't recall, I wanted to verify and that's when I found my DVD is missing. Probably loaned it and didn't get it back.

So I'm thinking this is an alternate take.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  3. PoorNoodle

PoorNoodle Tele-Meister

Good version! My favorite Stones song! The version I like best is from Totally Stripped - Paris

4. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

One of my top 10 for them. I always loved playing it live. The struggle was I loved playing the main open G intro and riffs throughout on my Tele, but had to play the harp instead. My friend covered the guitar well enough.

The hardest Stones song I ever did was Monkey Man. We had it down cold for a hot moment, did it live once, and decided it's just too damn much work, haha!

PoorNoodle and BFcaster like this.
  5. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Holic

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    Thanks for posting, great version!

Lone_Poor_Boy likes this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

First song I ever learned to play on harp …the “Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out” live version…still love it.

7. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

I much prefer the version below... although that Marquee Club version is very good too.

The Stones really are much better live. There's a quality and an energy in their live shows that they don't come near in the studio. That's not true of all bands. But they just nail it live. You don't really know the Stones until you seem them live.

8. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

When I was a kid, the first music I owned was when my parents allowed us to grab a 45 record out of a sale bin. They all had holes punched in the label area. I remember a few I got this way. Linda Ronstadt - something about Muddy Waters, I think. And John Lennon - Instant Karma. And a few more.

Then Christmas came and I got 'Hot Rocks', and then Ya-Ya's later that month when I bought it with Christmas money.

And the journey began.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  9. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

We used to do it too, but never had a harp. I was the one in the band that wanted to do it, although the others loved the song (of course). I personally made sure that me and the drummer were gonna be totally in sync throughout the entire song, or else we weren't gonna do it. Those time changes.... I was always 'playing' the Get Your Ya Ya's version in my head the entire time, and basically just hit 'replay' when we did the song, lol. The drummer followed me, and basically has to for this song(drummer follows the guitar player) IMHO. Our singer was 'playing' the GYYY's version in his head too, after I told him that is what I was basing our version on. There are subtle differences of course between live and studio versions. The Get Your Ya-Ya's version will always be my standard live version.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  10. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

I love every version of 'Midnight Rambler' live by the Stones I've ever heard, including this one. But this isn't better. It's too frantic and coked up. And it's the beginning of Mick starting to bark vocals instead of singing them.

11. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

Well, I can see we're going to have to meet in the street outside the saloon at high noon to settle this.

But, OK. I'm a big fan of this hard rock version of the Stones. To each his own.

(And I don't think they were doing coke... I'm pretty sure Mick T and Keef were doing large quantities of smack - and Keef always had a fifth of something hard along with some beers and Coke-cola on his amp top. But I don't think they were snorting coke. LOL.).

12. Tele-Strat

Tele-Strat Tele-Meister

Read Keith’s biography : on their legendary 1975 Tour of the Americas, : "was fueled by Merck cocaine," Richards wrote , referring to the ultrapure pharmaceutically manufactured form of the drug. "It was when we initiated the building of hideaways behind the speakers on the stage so that we could have lines between songs “
    Heroin too

Anyway, the Mick Taylor/ Keith Richards line up was my favorite… It was nice to see Mick Taylor join again with the Stones several years ago.

13. Tele-Strat

Tele-Strat Tele-Meister

14. Twin52

Twin52 Tele-Meister

Band is great, but love the Mick Taylor era most of all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.