Great guitarists who are far more interesting to watch than to listen to.

wildcatter

TDPRI Member
A guitarist like Mark Knopfler in dire straits, didn't jig or strut around as much as the other guitarists did, so from the back of the auditorium he may have looked less exciting; now though seeing it on close videos it is interesting to see how his vocals and lead lines were woven together, and also how he conducted the rest of the band through the parts and changes in his more complicated songs.

It is hard being a front man guitarist: if you just stand still and play your guitar people wish you were moving around: if you kick your legs around and flip your hair back and forth it soon looks tedious... yes maybe as mentioned earlier, maybe Hendrix was a good balance of the visual and the guitarist.
Mark P...........
Def Leppard's Phil Collen may be the perfict example of that. Joe Elliot will be the first to tell you Phil has by far the best voice in the band, (Rod Stewart type quality etc.). But Phil is a GUITARIST and doesn't like trying to play and sing at the same time. And I don't think I have ever heard him kick in a lead while trying to sing a harmony although he will play some rthyems....

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Eh. Those guys I don't listen to or watch. Boring!

I take your point, though. Performance is its own artform. It just uses songs as springboards, launching pads. From jazz to jam bands to blues and bluegrass acts, the song is just an excuse to cut loose.

Les H

Tele-Holic
Ted Nugent. Never been known as a deep and meaningful songwriter, unless you consider "she pulled my thang so hard it stretched", etc. meaningful songwriting. But again, instantly recognizable style and I could watch him perform concerts on video for hours. He's not released one album I can sit through.
2004 I bought tickets to see ZZ Top, one of my all time favorite bands. Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Ted Nugent were the opening acts. In my mind had I not paid out the nose for the tickets and the concert was 2hrs from home I would've mostly likely showed up to see ZZ only.

Going in I was take it or leave it with KWS despite owning a couple of his albums. For this concert he was touring with "Double Trouble" which when he played a couple SRV tunes he was audibly being boo'd from the audience.

Next up was Ted Nugent. Myself, I liked (term used loosely) at most one or two of his songs but never had any desire to own a single one of his albums, I just was not a fan by any means going into his show. However, I learned within a couple minutes that Ted's appeal had to be his live performances. He killed it live. I don't think I have ever seen another band that puts on a "performance" like he did that night. Even songs I knew of his that I never cared for took on a life of their own seeing them played live. I still don't own a Nugent album but to anyone who has never seen him live you are missing out in my opinion.

ZZ Top that night? Meh. Glad I got to see them but Ted was a tough act to follow and ZZ probably should have opened for him.

NeverTooLate

Tele-Meister
All I will say is that it sure takes Giant Balls of Gold to put in this thread Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, EVH, Angus Young ;)

This is like putting several of the not many 8000-er mountain peaks on a list of "peaks that are more show than go" LOL.

wildcatter

TDPRI Member
2004 I bought tickets to see ZZ Top, one of my all time favorite bands. Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Ted Nugent were the opening acts. In my mind had I not paid out the nose for the tickets and the concert was 2hrs from home I would've mostly likely showed up to see ZZ only.

Going in I was take it or leave it with KWS despite owning a couple of his albums. For this concert he was touring with "Double Trouble" which when he played a couple SRV tunes he was audibly being boo'd from the audience.

Next up was Ted Nugent. Myself, I liked (term used loosely) at most one or two of his songs but never had any desire to own a single one of his albums, I just was not a fan by any means going into his show. However, I learned within a couple minutes that Ted's appeal had to be his live performances. He killed it live. I don't think I have ever seen another band that puts on a "performance" like he did that night. Even songs I knew of his that I never cared for took on a life of their own seeing them played live. I still don't own a Nugent album but to anyone who has never seen him live you are missing out in my opinion.

ZZ Top that night? Meh. Glad I got to see them but Ted was a tough act to follow and ZZ probably should have opened for him.
The Nug/Uncle Ted is a top tier guitarist, but a flaming a-hole who needs to just ****. Allegedly as long as you can keep him talking guitar/music he's great, possibly it's even safe to talk bow hunting with him (the video of him getting a squirrel that's in a TREE with a bow is unreal, especially if you have ever tried using a bow) BUT his mouth when it comes to his politics is beyond merely offensive and into over in the inciting violence camp...
Pity. The Motor City Madman has done more shooting himself in the foot than any other type of shooting...

wildcatter

TDPRI Member

Double Live Gionzo should be a "must" in any guitar aficionado's collection. Should be able to listen to it on Youtube/any streaming service. It's from before his mouth overtook his brain...

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
Nobody is going to mention Rory Gallagher's bass player?
(No, i don't know his name)
That would be Gerry McAvoy :cool:
1667253185522.png

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Angus.
Tim Pierce, because he looks like a kid with a big ice cream cone when he plays, joyous. Like he is on a different plane of consciousness.

Hodgo88

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
The guy plays great.
He’s also ANNOYING as all get out.
Same with Greg Koch.
I love both of those guys. Phil X is the antidote for sterile playing. His albums as the Drills have a few really catchy tunes with some very tasty guitar playing.

I like watching Greg Koch review guitars, don't want to listen to his music though. Someone posted his band doing "Since I've Been Loving You" that was just a little too jazz for me.
Would this include which guitarist makes the best faces while they are playing, or is that a question for another thread?
Theres no need for a guitar face thread - the answer is always going to be Steve Howe.

steve-howe-1978-wembley-getty-web-768x405.jpg

But in this thread, he doesn't qualify, because I could listen to Fragile cover to cover every day.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Marty Willson-Piper is one of my favorite guitarists (and his recordings are great) but he's in another class when it comes to performing live. He just inspires me, his enthusiasm and childlike joy.

Trenchant63

Tele-Meister
If a guitar player is more interesting to watch than to listen to, I would not bother to listen to them.
I honestly can’t think of any guitarist that I’ve prioritized visually over sonically. If they don’t sound good, why would I want to see them perform live? Or maybe I’m missing the concept here. Thinking it through - sound is always first/most important - visuals secondary to me.