1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Great explanation of disinterest in newer music..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I haven't heard anything "new" worth my listening time since Guns 'n Roses.

3fngrs and swervinbob like this.
  2. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I am trying to figure out where my Tele fits in with EDM~

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I had a friend in the early 80s who consumed every new thing that came out. It didn't matter how "out there" it was, he listened to it. I imagine he still has much of it. He broadened my interest in some music.

I don't think many listen to the radio: it's talk radio, country, RnB, hip hop, or classic rock or pop. New music is consumed via Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, YouTube or other streaming services. All of them "curate" playlists for the listener.

5. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Lately, I’ve been listening to some Billie Eilish to see what the big deal is. I don’t get it. I’m used to hearing singers push their voice and sing. She sings real low and quiet. No wonder her and her brother make hit records in their basement.

Harry Styron and sax4blues like this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

There’s good and bad music from every era.

The challenge and the joy is finding the good ones.

aging_rocker likes this.
  7. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

_MementoMori_ and Manual Slim like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

There are 'old songs' that either the radio played too often, or I wore out the record/tape/cd and can't listen to them anymore.

The 'general disinterest' is a few factors:

The Internet has been designed to provide customized rabbit holes for everyone on an individual basis.
    They serve up more of whatever you seemed to just like, very specifically and narrowly.
    Pretty soon you are listening to ASMR with Cats walking on purple shag carpeting.
    Then they sell data that user number 9325 seems to be into cats, the color purple, carpeting, and ASMR to all the vendors who can present you with unique advertisement experiences.
    This same factor tends to result in extreme political polarization.

Famous music was put against 'everyone all at once' and while it could have been hated/loved, it was all limited availability and trying to build interest in stadium filling numbers was important.
    Like New York City noticed when "I Love Lucy" episodes went to commercial breaks the water pressure in the whole city dropped precipitously.

'Boomboxes' and 'Walk-Mans' now do other functions like texting, calling, playing video games, and even watching movies/tv shows. Sure you can stream a 1.2Gigawatts of songs but maybe it's more fun to text/video chat.

Attention spans are limited, choices are vast, and we are given very individualized options that cater to our every whim.

9. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

I'll plug this song (and album, and band) to anyone who thinks that good music isn't made anymore. This stands up beside anything I've heard from the entirety of the 20th century.

Aftermath likes this.
  10. knh555

knh555 Tele-Holic

A good song is a good song no matter who wrote it or when.

sax4blues, trxx and JRapp like this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Music is culture, art relates to what's happening now, to how society grapples with the times.

Meat is best eaten fresh.
    Recreating old catalogs?
    I just can't see the attraction in that.
    Like hanging out in graveyards and chatting with the dead.

I can enjoy bands playing old tunes, just as I love antiques, old tools, vintage gear etc.
    But I'm not going to limit my listening options to old stuff just because there's so much of it.

Really just a confusing idea, aside from maybe the fact that I often read folks say they were happiest in their teens, and after they chose responsible careers they moved on to less happy lives.
    But those who love memories of the freedom they had in youth, they are not looking for old stuff they never heard?

Certain songs stick with me, more old Jazz tunes, just timelessly beautiful creations.
    But old stuff isn't better just because it's old.
    I don't get it.

sax4blues and Mandocaster68 like this.
  12. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't quite end it there, but I essentially feel the same. Although seldom and far inbetween I'll hear a current song that catches my ear. I love finding new music that is good, every bit as much as finding good old music that I haven't heard yet. Good music is good music to me, no matter what genre or decade. The past is just so much richer for finding unheard good stuff so I spend more time there.

13. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Been listening to Amazon Prime music a lot lately, the "My Soundtrack" quite a bit. It takes what you listen to mostly and then adds songs it thinks are in the realm of your interest. I like it and have found quite a few songs and artists I otherwise would not. Some old, some brand new. I am 60 (there, I said it!) and just in the past few years discovered Radiohead. I think their music is fantastic and saw them live a couple of years ago. Have learned to play and sing a few of their songs. I saw the Billie Eilish video with her and her brother recording a couple of her songs in her bedroom, it looks like. Wow, that performance blew me away. But put on Miles' In a Silent Way, and I am going to sit down and relish it every time. I used to listen to a lot of "classical" music, but that has pretty much dropped off the playlist the last 10 years or so. Always keep my ears open to new stuff, but do not necessarily go looking for it. Well, wasn't that a ramble!

JL_LI and wblynch like this.
  14. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Another take, related to OP’s take of “doing homework.” Sometimes I go back and listen to records that came out around the time I was in high school that everyone was all excited about, or were critically acclaimed by hip publications at the time. And a lot of them are just mediocre.

I think when we’re younger we are more open and willing to accept mediocre stuff because of the way we’re socializing then, what made a big splash in our groups, publications we read, etc. or a desire to feel like “this is our moment,” or some corny stuff like that.

With something like discogs, I basically never have to listen to something middle of the road again...i can find some obscure r&b cut from 1978 and it can become one of my favorite tracks of all time. And there’s thousands and thousands of tracks like that. You could curate years worth of solid gold for yourself. It’s not so much that we “already have the classics” so much as it is there is so much music that is lost in time that is better than the classics beyond any of your expectations. The bar is even higher than you imagined.

I think I really only perk my ears up nowadays for stuff that’s really out there. Most of what I hear that’s good is “fine,” but there are a lot better highs to chase digging for old cuts that have been forgotten than to waste my time on something that is “pretty decent” like I did when I was 16. I’m sure I’ll feel differently when I catch up to today in 20 years.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Harry Styron likes this.
  15. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have a real problem with new guitar bands that draw from older influences. Chances are I’ve heard those influences explored several times and I just get a compulsion to go back to the source, no matter how good they are. I’m sure people hearing those sounds for the first time are a little less biased, but it’s hard not to compare them.

Ian T likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Might depend on what stations are nearby.

I can't stand Classic Rock radio or Country radio, and certainly not pop radio.
    Talk radio is better to me than any of those but I never listen to that either.

I have an Alt Rock that basically plays all the Rock oriented music from post G&R.
    The talk and ads are annoying but there's a fair amount of listenable music from 1990 and later.
    NOT including G&R because that's pretty much just high grade college educated classic rock.

17. northernguitar

I imagine Blues fans felt the same during the British Invasion.

Flat6Driver and Matthias like this.
  18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Not here it's not, other than NPR.

19. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

My thoughts about this are exactly the polar opposite of this view.
    I think people who listen to the radio are 'passive' listeners who don't know how to Go Seek Out the really good new music.
    Its out there in abundance, but it ain't on the airwaves.
    You have to be interested enough to go find it, you have to actively cultivate your own sources.

I never listen to the radio, ever, the airwaves are dead to me, and have been for years upon years.
    That includes programmed music like Pandora and Spotify too, I don't subscribe to any music channels.
    And I'm overloaded with new music.

JL_LI likes this.
  20. northernguitar

AM talk radio just makes me irritated. Too many angry and whiny old men. I don't want to be that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.