1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Great explanation of disinterest in newer music..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 7, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The popular guitar YouTuber, James James (formerly "privettricker" ) had a question and answer session on his channel recently where he answered a few questions. For those unfamiliar with him, he does demos of popular classic songs and some teaching/breakdown of the songs. He particularly does Zeppelin, Stones, Beatles, but many others as well.
    A viewer asked him if kept up and listened to newer music and his response was "no". He explained that the back catalog of music he wants to explore and learn is so vast that he doesn't have time to keep up with new music.
    I think that's a good description of my feelings as well. I am sure there are some interesting new artists and with great songs but I haven't finished exploring the older stuff. I have learned but not necessarily mastered hundreds of songs. I have created backing tracks for well over a hundred classic tunes. I am simply not done with those plus there are hundreds more songs that I want to learn. There's also a lot of music of older artists that I missed or didn't appreciate back in the day.
    The bottom line is, for me, when it comes to newer music (as great as it may be) "ain't nobody got time that!"

2. cenz

cenz Tele-Meister

He has a great channel. I’m a fan.

VWAmTele and JuneauMike like this.
  3. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

A great explanation of HIS disinterest, but it in no way makes a case for disinterest as a thing in itself. Personally, I could go the rest of my life never learning or playing any “classic” rock/pop tunes. I like them, but they’ve been done, and I’ve heard them enough to never need to hear them again. Even though most would classify my tastes as “retro”, I love discovering new artists (even if just new to me).

4. tomnardozza

tomnardozza Tele-Meister

There's "new music" in the sense of the emotionless stuff they shove down your throat, but there's also the artists you need to search for that still play real music (much with chops some of the older guys wish they had). Sometimes it's not a question of old or new, but what we're exposed to and what we aren't.

I do get your point, though, and agree.

5. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

I don't see any reason why you can't do both. There's a ton of great music being made today, and the plus side of discovering and listening to it is that you support the active careers of up and coming musicians and the future of the music industry in general. You know, rather than adding another zero to Keith Richards' and Paul McCartney's bank accounts.

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I’m not making in value judgement about new music or those who enjoy exploring it. I simply stated that he succinctly expressed the way I feel about it and how I prefer to spend my time.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

i'm so disinterested I didn't even...oh nevermind

*grump grump

8. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i am one who is still trying to assimilate all that great stuff from the good old days. recently, for instance, i spent a whole afternoon listening to Mountain and Lesley West's solo stuff. i had not ever spent any time with that music. you can't be a respectable blues-rock, classic rock pilgrim if you aren't up on Mountain. and there are some others i need get up to speed on.

but that doesn't mean there aren't great bands of today that are worthy of my attention. i'll catch up on those in about 2035.

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

It is really simple.
    New music is for young people.
    Every generation grows up with it's own music.

rand z, 3fngrs, Ian T and 7 others like this.
  10. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

11. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Today’s music will be classic soon enough. Wait til Taylor starts getting lifetime achievement awards.

Dereksys38 likes this.
  12. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

Personally, I’m having a hard time progressing my catalogue past the 18th century thanks to that old bastard Bach.

13. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

I could not agree more......
    One of the guys I play with is in his very early 30's and very very talented. Most of the music I try to get him listen he does not like. And the stuff he tries to get me to listen to I am like ugh.

Telekarster likes this.
  14. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

If I like it then it’s for me too though.

naveed211 and sax4blues like this.
  15. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

I'm 60, so there's that.
    There's So Much new music coming out that I adore I Cannot Remotely keep up with it all.
    It's literally flowing out of every corner, non-stop, and its as good, if not better, than the back catalogs.

I understand the mindset above, but I don't buy into it, although I also continue to mine the back catalogs myself.
    Some people get 'stuck' in an age, and that's cool, but it's not me.

16. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

So...no Cardi B lesson then?

1955 and Flat6Driver like this.
  17. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

This thread confirms what’s been happening with me. I play for my own enjoyment using my guitars to back myself on vocals. I’ve learned one “new” song in the past two years. I put new in quotes because I don’t really know how old it is, only that it’s a CHVRCHES cover of a Beyonce love song. I’ve lost interest in modern country and have found little I want to play in pop, although I like to listen to some of it. The last three songs I’ve learned have one thing in common. I played them in 1969 and 1970 in coffee houses. There’s so much great music from that era that works beautifully for voice and guitar. The music is simple enough that there’s a lot of room to work with my guitar. I’m also a much better musician now than I was then. I can make a song swing. I can layer a Dorian mode solo over a song in a minor key. I can play the backup harmony finger style on my guitar. I can use a more complex chord progression in place of the simple one in the original. And thanks to YouTube, everything is out there. It’s a great time for looking back and moving forward at the same time.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Your grumpiness is recognized and endorsed by the:

[​IMG]

19. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I am in no way soo organized about what I listen to or what I learn to play.
    I listen to what is trending on Spotify and Youtube all the time.
    I also browse like you would in a record store, just trying to find something I have never heard before.
    If a song catches my ear enough to learn it, I don't care who when or where it came from. ;)

Flat6Driver likes this.
  20. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I think that people who listen to radio regularly might be more up to date on current music and musical trends and want to investigate them. For me, especially with the pandemic, I don't listen to the radio much and consequently I'm not exposed to current listening trends. I'm not captivated by anything else so I rely on the back catalog - and it is really huge! I think what he has to say makes real sense to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.