Great day with my son.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Sep 21, 2020.

1. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Yes, it sounded like Rory was trying to figure it out what golf is becoming in a very polite way with Bryson.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Now if they would only add the "gotcha" to the rules of the game! The way that would work is when your opponent was putting, you could sneak up behind him reach in between his legs from behind and grab his wrist pull them between his legs and run him around the green a couple of times hollering gotcha, gotcha.

3. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

When I leaned gold was a mental game & not a physical one I improved immeasurably
    The pro lent me a set of Arnold Palmer alumina shaft clubs. I had to slow down my swing
    Smooth swing, square contact=greater distance and accuracy
    I miss golf but with one working eye it doesn’t work for me

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

It’s my understanding that he uses a club set with the same length shafts for every club. Maybe that’s not current information.

It seems that Bryson DeChambeau applies the Scientific Method to almost all aspects of the game. He appears willing to defy “contemporary wisdom” in just about anything golf - as long as it works. I’ve never heard of a player more willing to discard typical methods. Totally data-driven.

Tiger Woods’ legacy for future Tour players seems to be the value of strength and flexibility training. Nearly all Tour players follow a version of his regimen now, with varying degrees of success.

Will Bryson DeChambeau’s legacy be data-driven practice and equipment decisions to take the game another step forward? Only time will tell.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Mr. Dechambeau uses an iron set that are all the same length with the weight and loft controlling the distance he intends to hit each club. Of course he has shown he can modulate the distance he hits his clubs as he needs to. His Driver and woods are more standard in nature, but would have to have very stiff shafts in all of them. His grips are humongous. I met a young man who was a college player who was trying to follow Bryson's example. His clubs were setup along the same lines. I didn't even attempt to hit a shot with his clubs though he offered, they were just too foreign for me to want to handle them. I have large hands, and the grips were to large for me to grip. I would need to swing one of those things a couple of hundred times before I felt I could control it well enough to hit it, and I didn't want to.

6. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Paul Azinger said he has passed Bobby Jones Clubs at Augusta National about 100 times and never noticed that the irons were all the same length. He said Bryson noticed that fact the first time he saw the clubs at Augusta. Talk about grasping everything in at all times.

7. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I am coming to think that family things like this are about the only things that are really important in this world. All that other stuff only seems important.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like a great/memorable day with your son and you helped out some wildlife ! Win win. And let’s face it - seagulls need all the friends they can get !:lol:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

10. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

Where did you play? During summer me and a buddy visit some friends up the coast and we stop at Morro and play a little executive course called Sea Pines. Fun easy little course.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

We played the Morro Bay golf course, it's a full 18 hole challenging golf course. A pretty good rule of thumb there is the holes that play uphill add two clubs to your approach shots, down hill deduct two clubs from your approach shots. The greens putt really well, but can be tricky. It's just absolutely beautiful just being there. I have played the course many times, I used to get nervous, but now I know I can put together a round there if I just relax and trust my instincts. I'm going to take momma over in a month or so. The weather over there actually improves during the winter.

View from number nine coming in.

[​IMG]

12. Toto'sDad

Course management is the key to playing decent golf, keep the ball in play, when you make a mistake take your medicine, and minimize the damage. That's the way I have to play now, because of my age. The best golf I ever played, and I wasn't that great but I could maintain a six handicap most of the time, was when I could shut everything out, and visualize the shots both in the air, and the putts on the ground. I simply don't have the cognitive powers to do that now. I could get hot, and card an even par round, but they were not common. I shot a 71 one time with some friends along, and I can't tell you a thing about it, because I was in the zone all day. I do remember the score though 38 on the front 33 on the back.

13. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Very sweet post about the day of golf with your son. Memorable and what life is about.

Moro Bay is a fine place.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Thank you sir, been going there for well over fifty years off and on. Love the place.

15. Toto'sDad

Thanks Mike it was a good day for sure. The poor old seagull just kept banging its head. The window was up off the floor about three feet or a little more, the gull would try to fly to the water, boom hit the glass, and fall all the way to floor. Just kept doing it. It was bothering me and a bunch of the patrons but nobody was doing anything, I got up went around the bird and pushed him towards and open door and all was well. You don't wanna look up to see if he's okay though!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.