1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Great books that a Teenage Boy would like?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AJ Love, Nov 11, 2016.

1. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

I got my grandson the Enders Game series. I read Enders Game and it was pretty good, don't know about the others but they are extremely popular.

2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

he may like adventure books, like kipling , or herman Hesse , or sci-fi my daughter got into the warrier series of books and read all of them all 9-10 books, maybe a biography of oneof his heros

3. Elkhorn

Elkhorn Tele-Meister

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series

MisterZ likes this.
  4. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

The necronomicon.

Or anything by Hunter Thompson, because he loved sports. And politics.

5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

My son is 15 now and this is recent for me. He's sitting next to me now and saying this is what he most enjoyed then.

Robert Muchmore - "Cherub" series
    Charlie Higson - "Young Bond"
    Anthony Horowitz - Alex Rider series "Stormbreaker" etc
    Robert Riordan - "Percy Jackson" stuff
    Malory Blackman - Noughts and Crosses"

Best wishes with encouragng his reading.

AJ Love likes this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I suppose a complete collection of 1980s Playboys would be out of line huh? ;)

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Dune and Enders Game, yeah. The rest of Herbert the elder's Dune series, too.

Hey, this thread has got me thinking of a sci-fi novel I once read, about the crew of an interstellar space ship, traveling faster than light, and hence through time. I'm sure it was by Piers Anthony, but it was NOT fantasy. More like faux hard science. Any Piers fans know what book this might be?

8. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I remember loving Ringworld for all the characters they met along the river. Like an sf Huckleberry Finn

jvin248 likes this.
  9. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Good recommendations!! My sons read all of those through their teens. I'd also recommend Alan Garner and Ursula K Le Guin. I don't think the Harry Potter books are half as well-written as some of those others but every teenager I know of has read them all and loved them.

10. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If he's into StarWars, there is a series of books leading up to the latest movie. I think the series all have the prefix "Journey to StarWars". They are all easy/quick reads, and tie into the latest movies.

Also, I know you mentioned wanting to diversify out of sports/baseball, but some autobiographies by athletes may act as a gateway book for getting into reading. There are a lot of great options there.

Harry Potter series, as mentioned, is good as well. I've had meathead friends have that be their first series in their 20's. We're all still kids really

AJ Love likes this.
  11. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Hatchet and other novels by Gary Paulsen were very popular with my sons.

Crowcaster, RANGER295 and Ambience like this.
  12. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Rick Riordan's books.

My son has loved all of them

- Bob

13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

[

At that age, I loved Ray Bradbury. The Martian Chronicles would be great if he likes anything SciFi[/QUOTE]
    i read a lot of ray bradbury when i was a teen. hard to say if a teen of today would like him or not.

14. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

The Education of Little Tree.

It's a coming of age story, a view of Indian life.

15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

How about some Louis L'amour, or perhaps The Red Pony, by John Steinbeck?
    Jack London's stories are great for that age, and the language is not dumbed down for kids.
    There's the Aubrey-Maturin series, starting with Master and Commander. Rollicking adventure on the high seas.
    For something a little more literary, he can always try some Charles Dickens.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    Steerforth likes this.
  16. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

13? Is that 7th grade?

At that age, I was pretty heavy into Harry Potter...still am, to be honest. I also got into Louis L'amour and other westerns, as well as the broader genre of historical fiction. War novels were an interest of mine as well, and it's truly shocking how different those affect me nowadays on the other side of adolescence, and having had some very dear friends in active combat.

17. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

The Tarzan Series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Especially since there is a new Tarzan movie out.

Steerforth likes this.
  18. RANGER295

RANGER295 TDPRI Member

This was going to be my suggestion. I used to read all of Gary Paulsen's stuff I could get my hands on. My favorite Paulsen book was 'Harris and Me' where a city kid is sent to live with his cousin in the country for the summer and they get into all kinds of hilarious trouble. That book is where I got the idea to dare someone to pee on an electric fence.

I think i was still reading some Hardy Boys by then. I even built up an almost complete collection of first edition Hardy Boys books which were re-written in the 60's or 70's to make them more politically correct and modern.

If I think of some others I will share them.

19. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

James Fenimore Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales, five books in all, all available on Amazon, excellent adventure stories. Rascal by Sterling North. My Side of the Mountain, et al by Jean Craighead George. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. Call of the Wild, and White Fang, both by Jack London. Maybe some Hemingway stories such as Big Two-Hearted River, The Green Hills of Africa, The Old Man and the Sea. A River Runs Through It by Norman Mclean. And there's a lot of other good ones, but that will get him started.

20. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

While Little Tree is a charming and well-told story, written by Forrest Carter, who also wrote Outlaw Josey Wales, it should not be understood to be an accurate depiction of Cherokees. Forrest Carter was a pseudonym for Asa Earl Carter, who was a white supremacist who had no personal contact with Cherokee people or culture.

Little Tree is such a charming story that readers want it to be authentic.

wlewisiii and kelnet like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.