Gravity and Dark Energy physics

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ASATKat, Aug 31, 2019.

1. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Your neice is cool @Blue Bill .
    Don't understand half what she is saying, but she's cool.
    I hope she's a teacher.

Blue Bill likes this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Gravity and dark energy are two entirely different things. With regards to the oil/water issue. Water molecules are heavier than oil molecules, so the oil sits on top of the water.

Dark energy is something throughout the universe, but we are not certain what it is, but only know that it occupies lots of volume.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  3. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

But what about dark energy and it’s impact on tone?

4. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

I was a wildland firefighter and Engine Operator in California for many years. I attended the Engine Academy as part of my annual training and we had a class taught on pump theory. Part of the class addressed the theory behind how a pump was used to draft water from a source to utilize for firefighting. The theory was that the pump didn’t “suck” the water up like most people would view it. Rather the pump created a low pressure inside its center and therefore the outside air pressure “pushed” the water into the pump. I realize that isn’t necessarily related to dark matter but it demonstrates to me there are forces that work the opposite of, if not unlike gravity, that are not always so apparent.

Greggorios and chris m. like this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

Cool niece! Must make family gatherings something to look forward to! I could listen to this stuff for days...fascinating. I LOVE hearing younger folks getting into this stuff...

Blue Bill likes this.
  6. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Gentleman, it's Sunday morning. I had an interaction with dark energy already, resulting in the deposition of some dark matter. Happens every Sunday like clockwork!

Greggorios and JL_LI like this.
  7. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Physics Girl has been one of my 10 year old daughter's favorites for several years.

Greggorios, JL_LI and Blue Bill like this.
  8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

She's great, we're so proud of her. She also plays concert level classical piano and sings like a bird.

Greggorios and JL_LI like this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I hope this doesn't add to your confusion. Jamie Farnes is an Oxford theoretical physicist who has come up with the first theory to seamlessly integrate dark matter, dark energy, and gravity. This link takes you to a relatively straightforward science news article describing how negative mass interacts with normal mass.
    http://theconversation.com/bizarre-...the-universe-what-my-research-suggests-107922

Anyone with a little physics under their belt may want to download the complete paper from
    https://arxiv.org/pdf/1712.07962.pdf
    This link takes you to the paper. It is exceptionally well written and pretty easy for a non-physicist to follow. Those unfamiliar with the math can ignore the equations and read past them. What they mean is clearly explained. And the math doesn't go beyond what most physics and engineering majors are exposed to until the appendix where it rises from my comfort zone.

So far as your oil and water question, what you're seeing is two immiscible liquids of different densities. The density of water is 1g/ml. Oils are typically in the range of 0.8g/ml to 0.9g/ml. The less dense of two immiscible liquids will always float on top of the denser liquid in a container. There's no need to make it more complicated than it needs to be.

10. doc w

doc w Tele-Afflicted

Gravity is in the fingers.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.