Grateful Dead Movie

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Started watching The Other One with Bob Weir and it was all vanilla and super lame. Shut it off after about 34 minutes.

Yep....

Steve Parish's "Home Before Daylight" is a little more "in depth" but shies away from real gaudy details about the band. Supposedly a film in the making.

Joel Selvin's "Fare The Well" pulls few punches about post Dead life for most of the band.

Bob's always had a different take and made some downright embarrassing music through the years. Difficult to see how he even came from that environment sometimes. he's been riding the coat tails with Dead and Co for a few years now but based on the vast number of GREAT Dead cover bands not a real artistic feat. He hasn't written a decent song in 40 years......

I completely bought into the improv that they promoted so heavily...I could care less about a note for note nor am I interested in learning that style..... Take a song and make it yours with respect to the original.....

Seems the Dead and Garcia more than other bands composed around riffs. Tennessee Jed is a blast to play as you can run out of road and drop the signature lick in and start over! I find jamming to Dead tunes the best way to learn as they are always extended and you get a chance to try out different ideas. They have a predictable tension and release architecture so you can see the sign post coming and easily hit it. Coolest part is when Garcia decides to rev it up and take around the block one more time.

Check out this Scarlet Begonias! Swiss watch precision many don't think the Dead could pull off!

HappyMangle

TDPRI Member
Don't know if this is the same movie you are talking about, but, Amazon Prime has a series, several parts long, about the Grateful Dead, which is very well done.
Watched those and really enjoyed.
We don't have an account on Amazon Prime and it is not necessary at the moment if you have a firestick and use different iptv players from this list. It is much cheaper than subscribing on all those streaming platforms.

Last edited:

Tricone

Tele-Afflicted
I love this song duo for a few reasons ( and this particular version)

- the whole piece showcases the subtle yet solid guitar talent of Bob Weir.
- He is the one playing the high-up, cool climbing lead figure in China Cat, while Jerry is singing verses

- also Bobby is doing the cool, slurry, R&B double-stops, etc., during the instrumental transition jam between the 2 songs- love it!

- and, I love 'Wolf' - IMO it's an ugly-ducking guitar, but sounds great and it seems a lot or my favorite Jerry/Dead songs were played with that guitar.

( I seem to like '70's.era Dead the best so my fave guitars are Gator Strat, Wolf, and the Travis Bean )

I just ordered this 'Wolf' to put on my blue Danelectro- what the heck!
Check this duo's version of "China Cat/Rider." I really like this performance. Sadly, the guitarist passed away last December.

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
"Long Strange Trip" is absolutely excellent. I've watched it several times.
It's really long, but a very good documentary series. I was really moved by the segment on Jerry at the end. Though I think he had started to get his life together and had married a woman who was really good for him.

Obelisk

Tele-Afflicted
The GD Movie much like Zeppelin's "Song Remains the Same", has some terrible edits in it.

Film has some of the inherent problems with time limitation like analog tape does. I am not sure what they shot the GDM with, but I would suspect that they would have done it in 35mm. In those days the film and analog tape would have SMPTE code to lock the image with the sound. They probably had 4-6 cameras rolling at all times. 35mm film has the limitation of 10 minutes per roll, so compromises are made when syncing the moving images to the music(they were probably using 10 inch reels that give 16 minutes per reel though they could have been using 14 inch reels-imagine what a nightmare it would be to collate all of the various reels of film and tape). Looking back at creations made 5 decades ago through the lens of current technology is always a crap shoot. At any rate, the Grateful Dead Movie is way better than Cream's Farewell Concert, but not as great as The Last Waltz...then again Scorsese didn't direct The GD Movie.

I saw the film in the early 80's with my older sister who was a total Deadhead(I was obsessed with anything punk rock, but jumped at the chance to leave my parents house in the suburbs). I don't like the Dead much after 71-72. The film was done when the Dead were on a slight hiatus for a multitude of reasons, so there are some weak performances. Allegedly the movie was supposed to be 5 hours long, but of course that was nixed. The animation sequence at the beginning of the movie is fun though. For those that haven't seen it, the band posted a full copy on YouTube for the masses:

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
It took them 3 years to release it, which is nuts. It was filmed and 1974, right before their first big touring hiatus, and not released until 1977. From what I remember reading in the Blair Jackson "Garcia" biography, is that Jerry did a lot of the editing or helped with it, which is why it took so long.

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
Started watching The Other One with Bob Weir and it was all vanilla and super lame. Shut it off after about 34 minutes.
Yeah, that one left me a bit cold too. Seemed to give the impression Weir is pretty fond of himself. Then there's where he makes the statement about how he's still operating on the same values from their earliest days. Really? Is that why you're in Bohemian Grove there Bob?

We wonder.

Sparky472

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, that one left me a bit cold too. Seemed to give the impression Weir is pretty fond of himself. Then there's where he makes the statement about how he's still operating on the same values from their earliest days. Really? Is that why you're in Bohemian Grove there Bob?

We wonder.
I disagree. I thought it was well done and honest. I didn’t think it came off as Bob thinking highly of himself. I’m not sure how membership in the Bohemian Club indicates a change in his values.

Last edited: